WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't post here often, but the experts on this forum can probably best answer this one. I have two of the older model atomic / solar models (GW300 I think, see pic below). After about 4 years one of them had a problem staying charged, then just died completey. I sent it in to Casio get fixed, thinking that there was some major problem. They called and said it needed a new battery, and even though they are recharged by the solar capacitor, eventually they run out of juice and need to be replaced. Now...my DW5600 that I bought in the early 1990's had a 10 year battery that actually lasted almost 10 years(and I wore it alot back then). So what is the advantage to the solar? Did I just get a bad one that is the exception? If so, what should the average life of a solar battery be?

BTW, thanks to some advice from Sjors, I scored a MB Frogman that should be in tomorrow.

Thanks,

Don

·
G-Shock Mod
13,911 Posts
your old DW5600 has only basic timing function, and your GW300 has atomic, auto EL, etc

with rechargeable batteries, your GW300 can sync 5-6 times a night (i forgot exactly how much), and you can use EL numerous of the times without worrying about running down the battery (given that you will wear it under the sun and give it a good charge tomorrow)

the bad news is that, and it has been covered tens if not hundreds of times, some of the earlier patch of casio tough solar suffers from a bad patch of rechargeable batteries, so many of the rechargeable cell suffers from premature failure. and unfortuniately, earlier GW300 was one of those with the bad rechargeable cells.

anyway, the current production of tough solar has been much more reliable, and i would pick a solar over battery any day

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looks like maybe I had a dud. So does anyone know the expected life of a solar battery provided it gets a ggod charge every few days? 10 years?...more? Just curious.

Don

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
15 years, maybe more. It's guesswork to a degree, because they just haven't been around long enough in sufficient numbers.

And if I ever keep a watch for fifteen years I'll be pleasantly surprised. ;-)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
15 years would be great. For the $$$ I had to shell out to get the MB Frog, I would hope it would last that long:-!

Thanks for the help

Don

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Thanks. Looks like maybe I had a dud. So does anyone know the expected life of a solar battery provided it gets a ggod charge every few days? 10 years?...more? Just curious.

Don
I'm not sure anyone really knows. As Tribe points out there probably haven't been sufficient batteries out there for a sufficient number of years.

Just anecdotally, I have any number of Raysman and Gulfman models from the mid to late 90s. Many were boxed for long periods yet all continue to hold a charge quite well.

Jonathan

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey i was wondering if anyone knows if gw-300 was the full serial number on this watch . i know the full number is sometimes on the tag. i bought this watch from costco a few years ago and love it. by the way im new here and have enjoyed checking out all your post.:-!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
You got a bad watch. More to the point, you got a bad model. The GW-300, along with some other older models, are known for these failures. I have 3 GW-300's, two of which suffer from the same problem.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You got a bad watch. More to the point, you got a bad model. The GW-300, along with some other older models, are known for these failures. I have 3 GW-300's, two of which suffer from the same problem.
I agree. I think the problem was with the early Atomic/Solar watch modules rather than the rechargeable batteries. It might be Casio's dirty little secret in my opinion. I also had the GW-300 and I could never get it to keep a full charge, even when it was new.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I think all the newer models are better... I had the first generation of the solar 5600. Mine worked longer than most.. but crapped out..

I dont know the number, but again, it was one of the FIRST generations... Thes newer ones are MUCH better.

Ive even noticed differences in older solar Citizens compared to newer ones. The newer ones seem to hold a charge much longer (and are even advertised to do so).

I think the solar technology has come a long way. Heck, most of my solar Gs never EVER come off full charge once they are there.

Add in a PS mode and they likely could last MANY years.

I wish mode non solar quartz watches had PS modes... My Nikes do and it makes the batteries last MUCH longer!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
11 years, 238 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes, and 38... no... 39 seconds. :) :)

Probably longer than you will wear the watch!LOL

I don't think you will have an issue. Like posted above, we cant really say. Probably somewhere between 10 and 40 years. :)

Your watch, having one of the newer cells, will likely last a long... long time.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here but I don't like the solar models. Part of this is due to the fact that I've collected the vintage models and most of my experience with Casios solar watches is bad - they just don't hold a charge after a while. There are a few that can be saved by replacing the 'solar cell' with a regular battery but most just die out completely and cannot be revived.
And with the newer models there just seem to be so many folks relating problems. I love some of the newer ProTreks but then I see the word 'SOLAR' on the case/dial and I find myself backing up, hands in the air, saying 'No thanks, gave at the office."
Casio really needs to establish a positive track record with regards to longevity of the solar models. A $200 watch should not become useless in five years.
My .02 anyway...

Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I agree with Lexxorcist... which current models, or even models released within the last couple of years have consistent problems???

The only two models I have seen with consistent solar issues were the older model of 5600 that I have and the 300.

??? I think that if you are inclined, you should give the newer ones a chance. I have had NO issues with any other solar.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the classics... and I dont NEED Solar... at all!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
From what I've seen, when people report 'problems' with newer models it's usually a misunderstanding about charging times. Some get mixed up between the watch needing 5 minutes of sunlight a day to keep topped up, and needing 5 minutes to fully charge the watch from empty. Others leave them long enough assuming it were direct sunlight, when it's actually behind a window or on a cloudy day etc.

With the Protreks, I've yet to hear of a problem with the PRG-80, and really, things would need to be bad to be worse than having to change 4 batteries every 18 months (Casio estimate) like in the PRG-40. ABC watches are where I think solar power is a real benefit. With basic models that can last easily 5 to 10 years on a standard battery, it's not much of an advantage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts