WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

Just got onto the forum and have a question regarding solar watches. If there’s a thread already let me know, I searched and got nothing.

I have a Seiko solar and a Citizen Nighthawk Solar. Both manuals state to not leave the watch somewhere hot (i.e. dashboard); however, windowsills seem to be OK places to leave a watch. The manuals also state there’s a upper limit for temp for the watch exposure (such as 160 C).

Anyone able to shed light how long a watch left on a windowsill is too long? Can they overheat or do damage in a few hours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sir-Guy! Lots to see there. I guess I’m more concerned about the oil in the watches thinning out. Neither watch has been left in the sun to the point that they’re too hot to touch. So I’m assuming I’m good.

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club
10,552 Posts
Thanks Sir-Guy! Lots to see there. I guess I’m more concerned about the oil in the watches thinning out. Neither watch has been left in the sun to the point that they’re too hot to touch. So I’m assuming I’m good.
Unless your window still gets past the 100F, i’d say you are aafe.

Dont put much logic into it... just get then some light and your good.

Sent from Cyberspace Central Command

·
Premium Member
32,437 Posts
I have a number of solars and I always keep them next to a good source of outside light.

I don't put them directly in the sun (because they don't need to be unless completely discharged), but next to good sunlight so they don't get baked, sun fade, overheated, etc.

As long as they get a decent light source on a regular basis, they like that just fine.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
My experience is that if I stick a solar out in the sunny garden it gets a good bit warmer than it would on the windowsill.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,608 Posts
Mine recently showed its two-second skip to indicate low battery charge. I wore it during a cross-country drive, ten hours in the car, and it was fully charged by the time I got to the hotel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts