WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch Hand Analog watch Rectangle Clock

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

I just want to post this here for posterity. Maybe it’ll be useful to someone.

In September 2021 I paid in full for the Large Tank Must Solarbeat “One Shot” Edition. The only difference between the standard Large and the One Shot Large is the strap color; it’s blue rather than black. This edition also has a different reference number; it’s WSTA0062 rather than WSTA0059.

Watch Analog watch Product Rectangle Clock

The watch arrived on May 26, 2022.

The wait felt long. I’ve heard and read conflicting reports about the Solarbeat production troubles. Some say it’s being discontinued already, others, like the Cartier CEO said that production is increasing and to expect more in June 2022. My delivery seems to support the latter.

Large is 25.5mm wide, 33.7mm long, and uses 19mm straps (ie. has 19mm lug widths). I had a 18mm mesh bracelet lying around so I tried that look and really like it on my 18cm wrist.

Watch Hand Netbook Computer keyboard Sleeve

I also opened up the case and see that there’s a rechargeable Panasonic battery inside. I wasn’t expecting that. Who knows what that means for the advertised 16 year lifespan.

Wood Rectangle Gadget Jewellery Font

Rectangle Wood Material property Gadget Circle

Something that I learned from @timetraveler812 on Instagram: there is a relatively simple way to tell the difference between the Solarbeat and the standard quartz. The Solarbeat’s 4 numerals do not connect.

Furniture Product Clock Rectangle Font

That’s all for now. Hopefully this info gets indexed by search engines for all the nerds like me who care about this stuff.
Hand Arm Leg Human body Neck

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congratulations on your new watch! Looking forward to the video 😉

Bought a Tank Must myself a month ago. Went with the regular quartz due to availability and could not be happier. Tested it at a boutiqe by chance while I was looking for a Santos, never been so positively surprised by a watch before.

I’m sure you’ll love it!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've been eyeing Cartiers for the past few days - so this thread was made just the right time! Haven't been a huge fan of their watches in general but the Tank is such a nice looking thing though. Good to learn the differences between these two models. Now I don't know which I like more :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Awesome pickup, OP (y)

The Solarbeat’s 4 numerals do not connect.
Looking at the comparison pics you posted, it looks as though none of the numerals connect vs the quartz version.

I just wish I could afford a santos and this.
Same. I'm not even a fan of square/rectangular watches. But I hope to own both a Santos and a Tank someday. Something about their designs just do it for me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Awesome watch, looking forward to the video. Hands down your video reviews the the best, keep it up.

I appreciate the detail of Cartier using a ceramic movement holder. I haven't seen it done before, is this unusual in watch making?
I've often wondered if anyone makes a quartz movement out of ceramic rather than plastic or brass. Movement plates can be cast, polished to mirror, exceedingly hard, light and insulated.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Awesome watch, looking forward to the video. Hands down your video reviews the the best, keep it up.

I appreciate the detail of Cartier using a ceramic movement holder. I haven't seen it done before, is this unusual in watch making?
I've often wondered if anyone makes a quartz movement out of ceramic rather than plastic or brass. Movement plates can be cast, polished to mirror, exceedingly hard, light and insulated.
Is it ceramic or metal? As I look at the lettering, it appears that there's a "C" in front and in back of "METAL"...which is a bit confusing!

Michael.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the info. I’m really curious if you’d be able to a share more:

How do the numerals look up close to the original given they are actually solar collectors now?

Is the Cartier Strap a quick release?

The case design itself underside is supposed to make even traditional spring bar strap changes easier, have you found this to be the case?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. I’m really curious if you’d be able to a share more:

How do the numerals look up close to the original given they are actually solar collectors now?

Is the Cartier Strap a quick release?

The case design itself underside is supposed to make even traditional spring bar strap changes easier, have you found this to be the case?
The numerals look identical unless you look from a very extreme angle is specific light. Then you can see they’re barely inset. Like a very tight sandwich dial.

The strap is quick-release.

Yes, there are grooves with drafts under the lugs. These allows you to simply push the spring bar/strap into place. It’s moderately useful.

·
Registered
196 Posts
View attachment 16660934
View attachment 16660936

I just want to post this here for posterity. Maybe it’ll be useful to someone.

In September 2021 I paid in full for the Large Tank Must Solarbeat “One Shot” Edition. The only difference between the standard Large and the One Shot Large is the strap color; it’s blue rather than black. This edition also has a different reference number; it’s WSTA0062 rather than WSTA0059.

View attachment 16660932

The watch arrived on May 26, 2022.

The wait felt long. I’ve heard and read conflicting reports about the Solarbeat production troubles. Some say it’s being discontinued already, others, like the Cartier CEO said that production is increasing and to expect more in June 2022. My delivery seems to support the latter.

Large is 25.5mm wide, 33.7mm long, and uses 19mm straps (ie. has 19mm lug widths). I had a 18mm mesh bracelet lying around so I tried that look and really like it on my 18cm wrist.

View attachment 16660933

I also opened up the case and see that there’s a rechargeable Panasonic battery inside. I wasn’t expecting that. Who knows what that means for the advertised 16 year lifespan.

View attachment 16660943
View attachment 16660945
Something that I learned from @timetraveler812 on Instagram: there is a relatively simple way to tell the difference between the Solarbeat and the standard quartz. The Solarbeat’s 4 numerals do not connect.

View attachment 16660942

That’s all for now. Hopefully this info gets indexed by search engines for all the nerds like me who care about this stuff.
View attachment 16660948
Congrats on the new piece! How do you find the size? That's the only thing that’s giving me doubts, but it may just be a matter of adjusting to the size once I get it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thank you so much for opening the case! This is the first I’ve seen of the movement. It looks more similar to their standard high efficiency quartz than I expected. Photo from their website below:
Analog watch Rectangle Font Watch Clock

For more technical background, there was a January 2022 press release from a Belgian semiconductor company called e-peas that described how they provided a custom power management IC for the SolarBeat. According to the PR, the chip is 2mm x 2mm. It must be tucked in there somewhere.

I also picked up the SolarBeat recently, and below is some technical info on charging that Cartier sent me:
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

Love the look with the mesh bracelet! For now mine is also living on a non-OEM strap.
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats on the new piece! How do you find the size? That's the only thing that’s giving me doubts, but it may just be a matter of adjusting to the size once I get it.
I like the size and it did require some mental adjustment. I kinda of wish there was a size between the Large and Extra Large. But this being the same as the Tank Louis somehow makes me feel that this is the “correct” size.

I also think it looks and feels larger on a bracelet versus a strap.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts