WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
“Special edition” seems like convenient misnomer for an idea gone wrong. I mean, why invest in a brand new technology (for Cartier) with seeming mass appeal and wide publicity only to bungle its roll out monumentally and then act like it was intentional? One can only wonder what caused the change of mind: too expensive to produce at scale; too many concerns about long term durability? None of those make intuitive sense when you look at Citizen’s track record with solar. But then again none of this makes any real sense.

Reactions: Tolmia

·
Registered
369 Posts
“Special edition” seems like convenient misnomer for an idea gone wrong. I mean, why invest in a brand new technology (for Cartier) with seeming mass appeal and wide publicity only to bungle its roll out monumentally and then act like it was intentional?
You’re right. It doesn’t make sense to make a new time-only quartz movement for a limited run. That’s why I hold out hope that it’s not correct. Maybe it’s temporarily removed from the catalog due to supply issues but customer service doesn’t have visibility into the rationale? On the other hand, one thing I did notice about the January 2022 press release re: the SolarBeat PMIC is that the semiconductor firm described the “completion” of a project for Cartier rather than an ongoing supply agreement. Press Release Text.

·
Registered
387 Posts
View attachment 16660934
View attachment 16660936

I just want to post this here for posterity. Maybe it’ll be useful to someone.

In September 2021 I paid in full for the Large Tank Must Solarbeat “One Shot” Edition. The only difference between the standard Large and the One Shot Large is the strap color; it’s blue rather than black. This edition also has a different reference number; it’s WSTA0062 rather than WSTA0059.

View attachment 16660932

The watch arrived on May 26, 2022.

The wait felt long. I’ve heard and read conflicting reports about the Solarbeat production troubles. Some say it’s being discontinued already, others, like the Cartier CEO said that production is increasing and to expect more in June 2022. My delivery seems to support the latter.

Large is 25.5mm wide, 33.7mm long, and uses 19mm straps (ie. has 19mm lug widths). I had a 18mm mesh bracelet lying around so I tried that look and really like it on my 18cm wrist.

View attachment 16660933

I also opened up the case and see that there’s a rechargeable Panasonic battery inside. I wasn’t expecting that. Who knows what that means for the advertised 16 year lifespan.

View attachment 16660943
View attachment 16660945
Something that I learned from @timetraveler812 on Instagram: there is a relatively simple way to tell the difference between the Solarbeat and the standard quartz. The Solarbeat’s 4 numerals do not connect.

View attachment 16660942

That’s all for now. Hopefully this info gets indexed by search engines for all the nerds like me who care about this stuff.
View attachment 16660948
timeless and gorgeous. Love the blue strap. But honestly, I’m very drawn to the Milanese strap you paired with the tank. Never seen that before. Just a classic, timeless, vintage icon in all reality.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congratulations on the beautiful watch. I just watched your video and I was wondering if you could share details about how you acquired the one-shot blue strap version? I know it's one per store and only specific shops at that. I don't need your AD's info but was curious if you went to an AD, Boutique, or what? I am hoping to locate one. Thanks.

Edit: Also, in the photo of the sheet, does anyone know what "SR Partner Exclusive" means? What is SR? Sales Rep?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts