WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired this, which is the civilian ie non-issued version of the very popular RAF "Gen 2" and as such does not have the NATO Stock Number details engraved on the case back. But in all other aspects the issued and non-issued are, IIRC, identical, as there were a small number of overstock which were sold on to the public, with non NSN case backs.

From the web: "RAF-issued Seiko military watch (Gen. 2) dial has a small oval date window at “4” showing the day of the month. The dial register at “12” is the 30 minute counter used when the chrono functions are on. The register at “6” is the continuous seconds which run whether or not the chrono is on. The register to the left, at “9”, indicates the current hour based on 24 hours. The model also fits Promethium 147 luminous markings."

It's in very good condition with only the odd mark here and there as you'd expect for something of around 20 years old. The crystal has a few marks, none of which effect the structure of the glass or the ease of reading the dial. The most noticeable one is at 4 on the edge where it has perhaps caught on something, but the crystal itself is intact and does not need to be replaced unless you'd prefer a flawless one. I have not had it pressure tested as I would not take it near water, and the general consensus on these is not to immerse them.

Importantly the pushers all work perfectly and the hands reset quickly and smoothly.

The case diameter excluding crown is 38mm and the lugs 20mm, so wearable by pretty much anyone.

The issued versions, which I believe are nearly indistinguishable bar the NATO Stock Number, are typically upwards of £500. One on eBay (Civilian), which is not working for £428.55, and Mr Jones Watches sold issued versions for a £995.

I'm asking the £358 I paid, which includes RMSD.

Any questions, please ask.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts