WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a PAM 22 "homage" from Getat. I've tried on a few real PAM's at the boutique, but couldn't commit to buying one just from being in the store.
After a few hours with this one - I'm officially ready!

I have to say, the fit and finish of the watch is not bad for the money.
Some details:
The sandwich dial is not as deep as a real PAM, but pretty close.
The lume is the wrong color, but I knew that from the photos.
The finish on the hands are a little rough (I think there's a finger print on the minute hand).
The crown lock is on the wrong side (on the 6 o'clock side instead of 12 o'clock).
The movement is - Chinese (hey, I'm Asian so I can say stuff like that).
And the oddest thing - the holes in the strap don't fit the bucklet. :)

Anyway, at least I can start shopping for straps which will be super-fun.
Now I finally know what all the fuss is about... sorry if I offended any PAM owners...

IMG_1369.jpg
IMG_1373.jpg
IMG_1368.jpg

·
Registered
871 Posts
I remember handling an homage of some sort before I ever saw or handled a Panerai in the flesh and I thought, "Hey, that's not so bad."

But no, once I actually had the real thing in my hand, it wasn't even close. Two pieces so fundamentally and structurally similar couldn't be further apart in quality.

A lot of people on this forum actually took their first swim into Lake Panerai via the homage route. It makes sense. A watch that large and heavy, with such polarizing style makes for a pretty steep leap of faith if you just straight-out buy one without ever knowing if you'll really love it.

I'm not offended. I realize PAMs are far more desirable to a much wider population than can ever afford them or even be lucky enough to buy them, given their low production numbers. I'm probably in the minority in not considering homages as fakes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good on you dude. I understand it's hard to actually commit to shelling out over 5 grand for a watch. Before I bought my Pam I bought a fake Panerai when I was in New York for $45 and loved it.

Hopefully some day you'll have a genuine one!

·
Registered
82 Posts
that is funny. the last three months i have been looking at getting a new pam and there have been people on this web site that keep talking about manual watches and how great they are... so i think I caught the bug.
i have turned into an amature watch maker!! I have been building and taking hommage pams (ill explain in a sec) with asia parts and now that i can totally dissasemble and reassemble the watch specifically witht he 6497 eta movement... i have made a final version for myself.

I have to say i am very impressed with the quality of the movement and it has been completely different that the asia movements that i started with. I have made a "marina militare" version with no markings on the back and i am very impressed with the quality.

·
4,071 Posts
Guys, before this gets too far off track, I'd like to remind everyone that this isn't the homage forum, it's the Panerai forum. I don't mind *minimal* discussion of using homages to "try out" a Panerai-like watch. However, there are tons of homage threads in the Affordables Forum and that's where they should be. Thanks for understanding.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about that. I just ordered a PAM 112 and will post pics on Wednesday! Excited is an understatement at this point. :)

·
4,071 Posts
No problem, Clarence. I cut my teeth on homage watches, as well. I don't have a problem with them, I just didn't want this thread to turn into a drawn out discussion about them.

Congratulations and I can't wait to see the pics of your new 112!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry about that. I just ordered a PAM 112 and will post pics on Wednesday! Excited is an understatement at this point. :)
Sweet! Love the 112! A great buy, to be sure.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll spare all the unboxing photos... here she is!!!
I couldn't get home fast enough. :)

Now where are the straps I ordered??? o|

PAM-112M.jpg

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry - here are some more pics and yes, exhibition back. :)

I ordered a rubber strap and deployant clasp - but they're junk. I'll keep shopping and I think the deployant clasps will not be the way to go with this watch. It's just too cumbersome and doesn't really look right.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts