WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**** SOLD *****

I bought this about three years ago and just don't wear it.

The quality is fantastic - it compares to my $1,000 + Swiss and German watches. I paid about $250 and it really looks near perfect. No scratches on crystal or band - not even the clasp. Only the very slightest signs of wear.

The blue dial is incredible - takes a different shade as you look from different angles. It has a display back with nicely finished movement.

I'd like $150 OBO plus shipping of $15 (to 48 states). Outside of the 48 states, shipping will be higher and no guarantee of delivery - no refunds if it never arrives. Included original box and all paperwork. I have 390 transactions on Ebay with 100% positive feedback. The last of the classic dress Orient Stars -- they don't make them like this anymore.

EDIT: I've had a lot of questions about this watch, so here's an excerpt from a review from about four years ago when I bought this watch.

Case and Dial

If I had to sum up the style of this watch it would be “simple elegance.” A cursory once over of this watch could easily lead one to conclude that Orient drew heavily on the original Rolex Explorer for inspiration. And yet a closer look reveals stylistic distinctives that are typical of “classic” Japanese watches—like the dauphine hands and domed crystal, for example.

I am convinced that there is really no way to capture the real beauty of this watch's dial with a camera. In every photograph I’ve seen of the watch, it appears to have a simple blue dial. And while the dial is blue, it is far from “simple.” There is a very fine satin sunburst texture to the dial, which in and of itself is nothing extraordinary. However, Orient’s execution of this texture is unique, inasmuch as the texture is not the top layer of the dial: the dial face has a clear coating over the texture. By clear coating the texture and giving the dial a smooth surface, Orient has crafted a watch face that can appear at times to have a texture, and at other times to have a smooth surface as deep and shiny as a pool of blue ink.

This can sometimes, especially in very bright light, give the applied Orient Star logo the appearance of floating just above the surface of the dial. Equally interesting is how the use of a domed crystal is really the only way Orient could create this effect. On watches with flat crystals, the reflective plane of the crystal and the dial are the same, and therefore as you peer into the face of the watch, virtually all the reflected light you see will be from the crystal, not the dial. Those of you with a watch with a flat crystal, hold your watch under a bright light and turn it until you can see the reflection of the light source in the crystal. What you will see is one image of the reflected light source above you, and if the crystal is absolutely flat, that image will be a “life size” reflection. By using a domed crystal, Orient has ensured that the dial itself can catch the light at a different angle from the crystal, thereby revealing the unique properties of the clear coated texture. When you hold this watch under a bright light, you can simultaneously get the “life size” reflection of the light source in the flat dial, and get a much smaller reflection of that same light source in the domed crystal. If the crystal were flat, the reflection of the light source in the crystal would override the reflection in the dial, and the “pool of blue ink” effect would be lost.

The dial has applied indices at each hour, with the twelve, six, and nine positions having applied Arabic numerals. The Orient Star logo is applied, while the other lettering as well as the seconds scale and Arabic numerals around the perimeter of the dial are screened. The dauphine hands as well as the arrowhead on the second hand are lumed, and the dial is lumed at each hour mark. The color of the lume is pure white and blends quite well with the silver hands and indices—so much so that it's very hard to tell the watch is lumed until you turn out the lights. Then you are greeted with a soft glow that is easily readable for at least two hours if the watch has been exposed to bright light.

The question as to what material Orient uses for the crystals on Orient Stars unfortunately won't be resolved in this review. One person who sells Orient Stars assured me that the domed crystals are acrylic and only Orient watches that have flat crystals use glass. Well, I can tell you unequivocally that the domed crystal on my watch is glass. What type of glass is the real issue. According to the Orient catalog, the $1,000+ Orient Star Royals come with sapphire crystals. To be quite frank, you would expect a watch at the price point of Orient Stars to come with sapphire as well. I asked Higuchi about this before I ordered the watch, and they responded that the crystal is glass, not sapphire. It is interesting to note, however, that the watch did not come with a protective sticker on the crystal, but there was one on the glass display back. I suspect, based on some informal tests performed by me involving how water droplets behave on different type glass surfaces, that the the crystal on this watch may in fact be a sapphire coated mineral composition similar to Seiko's "Sapphlex."

The watch case and bracelet are constructed entirely of stainless steel and everything about the fit and finish exudes quality. The watch measurment is listed at 36mm in diameter, not including the crown, but my measurements show it closer to 38mm. It is 42mm lug to lug, the lug width is 20mm, and it is approximately 12.5mm thick (including the domed crystal). The bracelet links are solid, approximately 3mm thick, and taper from 20mm at the lugs to 16mm at the clasp. The non-removable links are held together with polished end- pieces and rivets. The removable links use standard push pins. The bracelet and case have a brushed finish, with the exception of the sides, which are high polish. The crown is the non screw- in type and is signed. The case back of the watch is the screw-in type, stainless steel, with a mineral glass display. The engraving around the perimeter of the back appears to be done by a laser. The watch is rated water resistant to 10 bar (100 meters).

The bracelet utilizes a two button deployant clasp which is an absolute joy to operate. It is silky smooth. The folding links of the clasp are brushed, not polished. The clasp itself is brushed and signed. The bracelet is very lightweight and yet has a substantial feel. Again, the words quality and elegance spring to mind. And without a doubt, this is the most comfortable steel watch bracelet I've ever worn.

The Movement

Orient Stars have always been Orient's premiere line of mechanical watches, and Orient has always engineered and produced its own movements. The movement employed in this watch is Orient's manufacture caliber ER (487). This is a 21-jewel automatic movement that operates at 21,600 bph. It utilizes the Diashock shock absorber system (under license from Seiko) on the balance and is rated by Orient to have an accuracy of +25 to -15 seconds per day. My observed accuracy for the watch so far is a steady - 4 seconds per day, which is nothing short of phenomenal for a non-chronometer grade movement.

The level of finish on the movement is a step up from lower priced Orient Stars and is comparable to that found on the top of the line Orient Star Royals. The rotor on the movement is finished with a nice Côtes de Genève engraving, with "Orient Star" and the Orient Star logo machine-engraved and inked. Most of the other visible parts of the movement bear the familiar perlage decoration seen on most high-end mechanical movements, both Swiss and Japanese. There is also evidence of anglage on the bridge: another distinction of high-end movements. From what can be seen, the plate itself is unadorned, however.

As is typical with Orient and Orient Star automatics, the ER (487) cannot be hacked or handwound. Nevertheless, Orient movements have what has to be the most free-turning rotor of any automatic movement made. Just picking up a stopped Orient auto will usually start it running. By contrast, my Seiko 5 with the 7s26 movement requires at least a couple of swings to get it going. And the rotor of the ETA 2824-2 movement in my Invicta 9937 appears to turn in "steps" when compared to how easily the ER (487) rotor turns in the display back of the Orient Star. I've not tested the power reserve capacity, but if my standard Orient auto is any indication, the ER (487) should give well in excess of 40 hours of runtime on a fully wound mainspring.
Concluding Thoughts

It is indeed unfortunate that North America and most other non-Asian countries will never have the opportunity to see, let alone purchase, an Orient Star. Pictures on the Internet do not do this watch justice, for the only way to perceive the quality of the engineering and craftsmanship that goes into producing this watch is to hold one in your hand. At a price of around $300.00 this watch represents an incredible bargain, in my opinion. The person who goes to the trouble of acquiring one will have a quality timepiece that will without a doubt give years of service.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Re: Orient Star Dress Watch - WZ0021ER

Payment sent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts