WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in a medical environment, I have been using a copper pen because some of the Doctors in my facility say that copper kills micro organisms.
Have any watch companies manufactured a watch with a copper case?

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
I work in a medical environment, I have been using a copper pen because some of the Doctors in my facility say that copper kills micro organisms.

Pure copper's too soft.

Although you could try a more readily available silver watch cos it has the same antibacterial properties apparently.

Although I bet they'd say the best method is not to wear a watch :)

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
I think pure copper is too soft so they use a copper alloy mix.

The pen sounds cool do you have a pic? Is it pretty heavy?

·
Premium Member
36,226 Posts
Does brass have the same effect? As an option?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,341 Posts
Yeah, pure copper is too soft. Many consumer copper products are in-fact copper plating over or layered with a more durable material.

However there are companies making watches in bronze cases. Bronze is an alloy whose primary component is copper around 90%. It is far more durable than pure copper and will attain a lovely patina as you wear it.

Any of the copper alloys are antimicrobial. More from our friends at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper

·
Registered
867 Posts
I believe titanium has some anti-bacterial properties as well, and is commonly used for surgical instruments. That may be another good option if you can't find any copper-alloy cases to your liking.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have just been thinking about this, I wonder if there are any copper cased watches since? It seems simple to sort out the softness by having a steel lining for the movement and steel caseback and crown, or titanium.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I love the patination but in my country watches spend so much time under sleeves getting constantly gently wiped it's more concern maybe about losing patination.
For those that don't like it I know brass items often have a clear resin to stop patination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts