WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the final days of this year, I received this watch. I was a bit concerned about the timing, because I have bad experience from the postal system overloading during Christmas. Last year I actually lost a package between customs and delivery, but luckily it was not a watch that time.

I was especially excited about this particular delivery since it contained a rather interesting watch. The first Pobeda watches appeared in 1946 to celebrate the victory of the Great Patriotic War. Penza was one of the first (if not the first) factory to manufacture them, but soon demand exceeded the capacity of the plant and the design was spawned to other factories as well. This example is from the second quarter of 1947, made by Penza, and features a case in solid gold. At the bottom you will also find a photo of its sister Pobeda, made in solid silver during 1946 by the same factory. The two siblings are now united after 66 years apart.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Nice - I think I saw this on eBay and was tempted.

I was turned away by the replacement (non-gold crown). I hope you can find a gold crown and make the watch perfect.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice - I think I saw this on eBay and was tempted.
I think the watch you saw on e-bay might have been a different one. At least I spotted another golden Pobeda a while ago, but it was from the 1950's and from a different factory. I got mine outside the bay. I agree that the crown is likely replaced and I'm searching for a better one. Hints for sources are welcome!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am glad that you noticed, pmwas. On my silver 1946 Pobeda there is no mark as you can see here. One can also observe that the 1946 movement is rather plain in terms of decorations, while the 1947 features Geneva stripes. The "Pobeda" font has also changed from one year to the next, and is much deeper engraved on the later one.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The Geneva stripes are fairly common in 1947... The movements are usually marked "PZ" or not at all, and I've only seen one movement with full logo before. We get to know more and more - there were times when people said Penza only made trial movements in 1946 and all PZ marked are from moscow anyway. later on our russian mate here showed a PChZ signed one, making all those who believed PZ were from Penza very happy, and some time ago I've seen (only I dont remember - here or on KMZiZ) a 1948 marked Penza movement. I believe Penza made these between 1946-48/9, but in somewhat limited amounts, especially in the last year...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts