WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What should I do about my flieger running fast?

• Leave it until next service.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take it to a local watch maker just to have it regulated.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Send it too Stowa for service and regulation.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Take it to a local watch maker for a service and regulation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping my father in law the other day and after a jolt just right to my hand I had a spring bar pop out. I had my Flieger on a leather Nato so all was well except for it hanging by one spring bar. I was preoccupied and for some reason decided that I should put my watch in my pocket to be safe. Well in my infinite wisdom I did this over concrete instead of waiting till I was in the car. Truly surprised at myself since I go out of my way to never take it on and off anywhere risky.

Yet here I decided in a split second decision that one spring bar is risker than taking it off. Well I paid the price. Thankfully it fell about a foot to my car and then onto the concrete so the drop wasn’t as high as it could have been. Cosmetically I put chip in a lug and nothing more. I thought Id gotten away with just the chip but I was wrong. I went ahead and started tracking the time to see how it was running. Since Ive had my Flieger on average it’s run about half a second fast per day. After about two days now its running a little over 15 seconds fast per day. Ive had the watch for a little over a year now.

If it stays around 15 seconds fast my first thought is to just keep wearing it and make sure it’s regulated on the next service. For reference it’s a hand wound 2804-2

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I was helping my father in law the other day and after a jolt just right to my hand I had a spring bar pop out. I had my Flieger on a leather Nato so all was well except for it hanging by one spring bar. I was preoccupied and for some reason decided that I should put my watch in my pocket to be safe. Well in my infinite wisdom I did this over concrete instead of waiting till I was in the car. Truly surprised at myself since I go out of my way to never take it on and off anywhere risky.

Yet here I decided in a split second decision that one spring bar is risker than taking it off. Well I paid the price. Thankfully it fell about a foot to my car and then onto the concrete so the drop wasn’t as high as it could have been. Cosmetically I put chip in a lug and nothing more. I thought Id gotten away with just the chip but I was wrong. I went ahead and started tracking the time to see how it was running. Since Ive had my Flieger on average it’s run about half a second fast per day. After about two days now its running a little over 15 seconds fast per day. Ive had the watch for a little over a year now.

If it stays around 15 seconds fast my first thought is to just keep wearing it and make sure it’s regulated on the next service. For reference it’s a hand wound 2804-2

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are to have an experienced watchmaker service it. Could be just an adjustment, could be gearing damage.

Whenever you drop a watch from a sizeable height, it's just a good idea to bite the bullet and have it looked at.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts are to have an experienced watchmaker service it. Could be just an adjustment, could be gearing damage.

Whenever you drop a watch from a sizeable height, it's just a good idea to bite the bullet and have it looked at.
Thats a good point on gearing damage. Might be the best idea to have it serviced just to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts

What are your thoughts?
Maybe it is a good idea to send back the watch to Stowa, but first maybe it is another good idea to contact them and tell this story. The spring bar cannot just release like that, it was the spring bar that came originally with the Flieger? Because that was the problem that provoque the subsecuents events.

(I have to say that I do not know if the watch is new or old)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts