WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've found a very pretty Rone watch on the bay however the mechanism tick but the hour and minute hands do not move, from my internet search I've learnt that it's probably just a loose cannon pinion.

How much would this cost me from a watchmaker to repair and could it be another fault / issue which may cost more? Are the parts easy to obtain?

RONE VINTAGE 15 JEWEL MANUAL WIND-RUNS WELL-HOUR/MINUTE HANDS DONT MOVE | eBay

Feel free to outbid me so I don't spend any more money ;)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
That's a nice piece- with a waterproof Taubert case and an AS movement (although quite interestingly, the balance cock is the only thing here that would suggest something else than an AS- the rest looks like an AS 984 with modified bridges) equipped with a Shock-Resist device. Well, cleaning off the rust would add to cost of repairs, but then again, it's not impossible to get it running again. Parts for A.Schild movements are common, you can even buy a whole movement as a stash of spare parts.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I call this 'surface rust'...it's usually much worse to look at, then something that causes real problems...as long as the hairspring is OK, these old Swiss watches will usually come back to life. But, I agree that this poor fellow does look pretty sad...Philosophically, though: isn't it Weird, that the only place it corroded, is the ONE place, you'd rather it did not?! Michael.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
I personally get a laugh every time I see a watch marked "waterproof" with rust on the movement.

"This word, you keep using it. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Taubert cases were actually waterproof- but the thing is, that no waterproof case can live up to the expectations, if the gaskets are worn.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What bothers me most about rust is not what you see on the surface, but I always wonder

what's hiding under the dial, between the plates, etc, etc. The kind of surprises that no one needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts