WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some advice please

Hi All,
hope your all well- and hope any guys from the US have a happy thanks giving holiday.
Im new to the watch scene and wanted some advise about getting a millitary type watch- boasting precision, toughness, solid feel (dont mind it being large), and so forth. Im looking to spend in the region of 200 to 450 US dollars. Im only going to spend 450 on something special.
At the moment, youl have to excuse my limited knowledge of watches, iv looked at the mtm blackhawk (which seems good, however, recharging it every month for $450 seems a little odd). Or, on the lower end, a luminox 8401 seems to fit the prescription well. Iv also looked at the luminox navy seals series 2 3953 which seems decent (although iv heard the velcro strap feels a bit cheap?).
But i would like to buy a watch which will last as well.
Im currently wearing a seiko kinetic, which has served me well- accuracy, toughness, screw in crown (which has been designed well) and so forth.
So if its not much trouble, please could you advise.
Many thanks for all the readers.
Kind regards
Sleepyman

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Re: Some advice please

I have a luminox 6401 which has everything you want in a watch. I bought it on ebay for a little under 400 USD and I love it. Check it out for yourself and let me know if you have any questions.

·
3,631 Posts
Upper end of your price range... I'd look at a custom creation by Bill Yao at MKII Watches.

Mid range...Look at Glycine, Ollech&Wajs, WCT (Westcoastime)

Lower price range...Seiko Divers.

My first automatic watch was a Seiko Diver...6309. The modern version would be the 007 or newer "Sumo" model. HUGE bang for the buck and will last a long, long time. :-!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you very much moishlashen for your advice- it is much appreciated. Iv looked at the watch and it is very nice indeed! iv seen it for about the 430 mark, and thats my top end. For variety reasons, are there any other watches available as im tempted at the MTM watches as well as theyr around the same mark- but for some reason they look slightly better in quality?
Any other suggestions along with the luminox?

·
Registered
11,273 Posts

I have a luminox 6401 which has everything you want in a watch. I bought it on ebay for a little under 400 USD and I love it. Check it out for yourself and let me know if you have any questions.
Welcome to the forum, moishlashen !

Hope you'll have a good time here and will enjoy the company! :)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Thank you very much moishlashen for your advice- it is much appreciated. Iv looked at the watch and it is very nice indeed! iv seen it for about the 430 mark, and thats my top end. For variety reasons, are there any other watches available as im tempted at the MTM watches as well as theyr around the same mark- but for some reason they look slightly better in quality?
Any other suggestions along with the luminox?

I have heard good things about MTM but have never had one. I have had (3) Luminox. Model 1711, original Navy seal watch, and the 6401. I am a Chemical Eng and I my work varies from desk duty to working in the manufacturing plant which is why I tend towards tougher watches. I am by no means an expert-there are many on this site-but rather an enthusiast so my area of knowledge is limited. My original seal watch is a beast but it is light (poly case) and I wanted something a little more substantial. But I, like you, have discovered this web site and am educating myself using search forums etc.

I did consider the MTM patriot before I bought my 6401 which looks like it will fit your needs. They have all of the band options as well. Good luck and this forum is a gold mine of knowledge.

This web site is going to cost me money I can see it allready.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

lol, i see you point about the site and spending money.
Thank you for your advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts