WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a new member, but I've been reading through a number of threads these past few weeks (including the articles provided) trying to learn as much as I could about Breitling before I posted this...

Anyways, I need some help in identifying the specifics of this watch (such as Year of production, model reference #, etc..) that was given to me as a gift... I know that it's from the "Cosmonaute" series, but other than that I am clueless! ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are a few pics of course... if you guys need more details about the watch to aid in identification I'll try my best to provide what is asked for.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,873 Posts
Hi, cebseb. Welcome aboard! Your intro is without doubt...

Hey guys, I'm a new member, but I've been reading through a number of threads these past few weeks (including the articles provided) trying to learn as much as I could about Breitling before I posted this...
Anyways, I need some help in identifying the specifics of this watch (such as Year of production, model reference #, etc..) that was given to me as a gift... I know that it's from the "Cosmonaute" series, but other than that I am clueless! ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
the kind we LOVE to read because you jump right in with pics! Yeah, baby! Congratulations on your acquistion and wear it well. :gold A fe specifics for you. Your watch is a model A12023 Navitimer Cosmonaute with display back circa mid to late 1990's. It is one of the earlier models because the movement is the 17 jewel version. Later A12023's in the production run used 18 jewels ("corundum", man made rubies used as bushings to reduce friction) in the movement. The Breitling caliber 12 movement is actually a Lemania 1877 (24hr geared version of the 1873) hand wound mechanical considered to be one of the nicest and most beautiful ever produced. The watch is a limited series model because of the display back and is quite collectible by enthusiasts. Quite a few of us here on the forum own one like that, myself included. The bracelet is the original Old Nav/Cosmo 5 segment per link Navi bracelet and is quite rare and difficult to come by these days. What is the serial number on your watch? I couldn't make it out on the caseback pics. If the watch is working fine and has had a complete service in the last five to seven years, its approximate value on in that configuration is approximately $2600-$3200USD. When required, a complete service including polishing of the watch and bracelet will cost over $500USD but the watch will be like brand new when you get it back. Do NOT let just any jeweler or watch shop work on that watch or polish it for you. If needed, be sure to send it to an authorized Breitling service center (that's not necessarily a Breitling authorized dealer. Most often it is not.) such as BUSA in Connecticutt. If you want to see a lot of pics of a display back Cosmonaute, here's a forum link for you... https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=187856#post187856
Again, welcome aboard and post pics and comments often! :-!
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
its a very nice, desirable and collectable cosmonaute , i really like the layout and with that 5 row bracelet you have got a winner ! (if you cannot get used to the 24 dial , I and many wiith me, would be more than happy to take it off your hands :)

wear it in good health and its a great gift to receive

Rgds
-Rene

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O2AFAC67 - I'm quite impressed! That was above and beyond what I expected... all in the first reply to my thread too :-! Thanks for all the info!

dsgb and DRACHA - I figured that this watch was something special and I was even hesitant in accepting it as a gift since I knew I wouldn't be able to appreciate it as much as others would (which is now painfully clear at this point) considering I've never even possessed a watch before, much less wear one. Well, he wouldn't take no for an answer, so now it's in my hands.

Now, the question is to keep it or not? :-S

Anyways, thanks again for all the info guys!

p.s. I wish every forum I frequent was as welcoming as you guys have been :thanks:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I want gifts like that too !:-D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Please stop posting those pictures ;-)

You make me want one too!!! Magnificent watch, take good care of it and welcome to the forum :-!

Kind regards,

Cinq

1 - 7 of 7 Posts