WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i came very close to pushing the button on Luminox Sentry, but decided against it.

Im thinking of replacing my DW-5600E with a Analog G, what i need is a watch (G only) that will perform the same way as the one i've got know, solar if possible, it needs to black, easy to read, no nonsense, durable band, no shiny metal bits as on the Giez range, but something like the Giez but less shiny bits, and also, i must be able to read the time at a glance, i dont wanna be starring atthe face figuring out whats going for what.

I came across the G100-1BV, looks good, any thoughts?

the watch will be exposed to all sorts of weather / terrain , fresh and salt water on a regular basis.

appreciate the input guys

·
Registered
946 Posts
The G100 is a great basic watch - nice clean face, easy to read hands and the usual G Shock bombproofing.

For a slightly fancier equivalent, check out the AWG101 - it gives it access to the atomic clock and is solar powered, but imho the hands aren't quite as easy to read (though still excellent) and the face is a wee bit more cluttered with the three displays rather than having one big one at the bottom.

If it makes a difference, the G100 only lights up the screen at night, not the hands, while the AWG101 light up the hands, not the screens.

Either one would do you well, it just depends on whether you would prefer a slightly clearer face, or the atomic solar features.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,593 Posts
What about the GW-2500?

All the easy to use digital features but readable at a glance.

Its not overly large and the 2500B version ist stealthy, too. :-!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a G100 and find it very easy to read with the digital portion of the watch almost non-existant until you need it. The backlight is effective but not too bright as to blind you in the way the DW 6600 does. Ouch!! Here's mine on my 7.5" wrist.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
@ sandmedic,

you might forget about casio analogs and stick with your initial intention - get a luminox or alternatively a seiko. during normal (daylight) conditions, all casio analogs are feasible. the "fun" starts as soon as lightconditions go to low, respectively no.

the lume on analog casio hands mostly sucks and - in my opinion - even more the crappy LED illumination. yes, they can be read at darkness, but not at a glance. if a perfect legibility under all light conditions is important to you, you will never be happy with an analog casio - i give you my word for it. if not, then you will certainly find a model that suits you and your needs.

cheers

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Holger hit it on the head. Stick with getting a Luminox cuz once you see the tritium tubes in the dark you will not be sorry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have narrowed it down to the Luminox sentry and the G100, will let u guys know what i got.

thanks for the info and input.

sandmedic.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
you might wanna take a look on some Casios outside the G-Shock range. For instance the ones where the display covers the whole dial - those are very easy to read in the dark - like the AMW-706/707 or MTD-1058. They are not solar of course. Or take the '10-year-battery' model HDC-600. Btw: most analogue or ana-digi G-Shocks have only a 60 min timer except for the GA-100. The HDC-600 has a 24 hr timer. The AMW-706/707 and MTD-1058 have a 100hr timer and 100hr stopwatch - if that is important to you.
Oh, I kind of overlooked the 'no metal bits' part of your description. That rules out most of my suggestions. The HDC-600 still fits the bill I think but it has the dreaded LED-illumination that some don't like. On my GW-2500B the illumination is just fine I think. So far I had no problems reading the time at night.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sedi thanks for the reply.

What watch is in your avatar?

I thought my mind was made up, but the watch needs to be perfect for what i want in everway, basically i want the g100 in solar power, the analog function is for navigation purposes, solar because its something less to be worried about.

i have a protrek, currently off- line, needs to get fixed.

I am considering sticking with my dw-5600 but with an added Suunto button compass, or the Riseman i got in a moment of weakness last year, also added with
suunto button compass.

It would be great if i could send my specs to Casio and they make the watch for me!

guys, this thread has been very informative, i thank all that has taken part, any suggestions are most welcome, and i will let u guys know what is the final outcome!

Regards,

Sandmedic

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem has been solved, the battery to my PRG-50 has been replaced and the watch is good to go, thanks to all for the input, it seems that i dont need to buy a new watch, thanks again guys for the help and input.

Regards,

Sandmedic

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
The GIEZ GS1300 all-analogue model has just about everything a standard digital watch has, including an alarm and a 'huge' 24-hr countdown timer -- something not too often seen in analogues. Compared to the MT-G 1100 and the GW3000 Cockpit, I found the GS1300's sub dials neater and, much easier to read. They offer at-a-glance world time, 24-hour format home time and date/day-of-the-week features. Functionally, if ever there was a best analogue Casio G-Shock, this is it. As a former aviator, I can confirm that the GS1300 has just about every time-keeping feature a pilot, a traveller or average Joe might need/long for/want/yearn for/require/hunger after/pine for/hanker!!!

As for form, this watch isn't lacking. The all-black stealthy 'B' version, with a dash of red mesh on the dial is a treat to look at. In Casio's world of heavily scripted bezels, and (sometimes) useless 'gimmick' windows on dials, it is refreshing to see a well-designed, feature-filled, spot-on time piece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts