WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Well it arrived today and I am almost afraid to touch it not knowing what it is, if its a legit one or not.

Its missing its stem, the seller said the stem one day came out and he just put it in a drawer and forgot about it, apparently he bought it many years before in an antique shop so how can I tell what age etc it is?

I didn't pay a lot for it so it wasn't like the seller was ripping me off or something, its quite a cheap buy.

The lume numerals are like the hands very bright, the crystal clean and clear as is the dial, the case seems to have a crude scratching by the stem hole and there is no identifier on the back like a serial number and I haven't worked out yet how to get the back off as used to ring casebacks :S

Any help gratefully received, even if its a dud its a nice looking piece imho, I can't find either made in Russia or made in the CCCP where the modern ones have it under the 6 numeral and well out of my Vostok safe zones hehe

IMG_20200515_144824.jpg
IMG_20200515_144835.jpg
IMG_20200515_144848.jpg

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Open it up and show us the inside. Outside it is all fake. Sorry buddy.... fake dial. Wrongs hands, etc. lets see what is inside.

To open: look for a a gap between the Case and the cover. In one part you should see it is a bit bigger. This is where you insert the blade of your knife. The proper technique is to use a knife as a wedge. Make sure you control the knife so it does not slide across the movement when the cover comes off. You press the knife across the watch but stop the knife movement as soon as the cover comes off

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid £12.50 for it so no biggie, after looking on the net and seeing lacking "made in..." was a bit of a warning and its all part of the rich tapestry ducking and diving, wheeling and dealing sort of thing hehe

Took some pics, I had wanted to capture the serial and engraved details better but my fone is becoming legendary at crapness, paid a lot of money for this Huawei because it apparently had this super duper Bruce Lee camera thingies on it and its bloody awful...

IMG_20200515_184350.jpg

IMG_20200515_184143.jpg

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I take it that's a standard Poljot movement? I would like to put a new stem in and crown but ain't paying £40 for one on ebay o_O Balance is lively so hoping its not all gummed up and hey at £12.50, I can have it in my pile reminding me of what is a naughty no no and what is a pukka piece hehe

·
Registered
40 Posts
No matter how good you camera, once you're past minimum focusing distance, the pictures will always be crap.
The adjustment on the movement is pretty much maxed out, so it's probably got some good use on it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its all down to light it seems with my one, even when I choose night settings more often than not it spazzes itself and goes all dickywampus, it is very frustrating and I might well take my daughter up on her offer of her old iPhone, as that takes amazing pics.

The movement is very clean but until I install a stem, I can't unhack it. I have a selection of old Poljot, Slava's etc with the stems most likely and wondering if one of those would fit this movement?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Ok. Inside is not that bad. Question about the hacking part: is it there or not. Even with a fake dial a Shturmanskie need the stop second feature. See if the hack is there. But if not, given what you paid is Ok. Yes, standard movement. You can use it for spares or restore and put some other dial/hands.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know what I have about six working 2234's sitting in various Commanders and I never realised they were hacking o_O /beats oneself with the noobhammer hehe

I have put some tension on the mainspring but it not wanting to tick, I have Poljot stems, a Sekonda automatic stem, several Slava 2628 stems and they all seem to be the same pattern, is this common with old Soviet watches sharing the same pattern stem?

Not wanting to slam one in there and its a wrong 'un and jams up or breaks something.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
I have put some tension on the mainspring but it not wanting to tick
As I mentioned above it may be in hacking mode with crown stem removed. Take a needle and see if you can insert it into the movement and contact the hacking lever and hold it in to release the hack and see if the balance starts swinging.

When crown stem is in all the way it bears on the hacking lever and moves the hacking spring away from contact with the balance.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Food for thought, it looks to be an interesting one as I was fair on it was a naughty no no fake.

Going to have a look at the spring location, I couldn't find my old army sewing kit so still gotta try the needle in there, its holding a reasonable power at the mo but does seem hacked.

Will any of the stems I mentioned before fit this? Or is it a unique stem for this movement?

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Food for thought, it looks to be an interesting one as I was fair on it was a naughty no no fake.

Going to have a look at the spring location, I couldn't find my old army sewing kit so still gotta try the needle in there, its holding a reasonable power at the mo but does seem hacked.

Will any of the stems I mentioned before fit this? Or is it a unique stem for this movement?
I would say any stem from a 17j sportivnie should fit but keep in mind that a crown and stem must fit movement, case, and crown.

I know this forum tends toward DIY but a good watchmaker/repair shop could probably fix you up with a generic crown shaft/crown that would work and cheaply.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I would say any stem from a 17j sportivnie should fit but keep in mind that a crown and stem must fit movement, case, and crown.

I know this forum tends toward DIY but a good watchmaker/repair shop could probably fix you up with a generic crown shaft/crown that would work and cheaply.
Don't say that to Dogydruid he's already whittling a Reliant Robin axle shaft to size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts