WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a Marubi watch. From totally wound down, it winds as normal for quite a few winds, then it makes a sound which sounds like the end of the mainspring is not attached just being pulled away from where it would be attached and making a bouncing sound off the rest of the spring. No idea if it is that at all, that's the enquiry. It seems to run ok, but the watch only arrived 12 hours ago. What's going on, will it be a usable timepiece as it is? What sort of percentage power reserve will it hold?

s-l1600.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
The fact that it doesn't say Automatic probably means its a manual wind (I know nothing of this watch except what the picture shows). It has a broken mainspring, probably just the little hook at the end but maybe further in. The reserve will be substantially lower than if the spring were intact; I'm guessing maybe a quarter less.

You can determine the reserve by winding it to different conditions (like right before it slips) and let it run down. I like to set it to 1 AM on the first and let it run down. One AM on the third represents 48 hours, so when it stops, just advance till then, counting hours. I'm not suggesting wearing the watch in this condition, just an experiment to determine the nature of the problem.

BTW, I just did this several times on a freshly serviced SW200-1 movement (automatic) and got between 40 and 44 hours.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both, for the answers. The most i've done is assemble a 6498 watch with a completed movement, so I never fitted a mainspring myself. This watch cost £1.20 before postage so it's not a big deal about whatever I decide to do, if I can go out and about for a few hours with it and it's still going when I get back home that's ok.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This is a watchmaking forum. Watches are designed to operate to certain standards of performance...a watchmakers job is to service them so that they perform to those standards.

Your watch requires service (regardless of what it cost to purchase it). It very likely has a broken mainspring...and is guaranteed to require cleaning and lubrication.

"Keep going for a few hours while I wear it" is not a watchmaking standard.

No one can divine across the inter-webs whether your timepiece is in sufficient condition to meet even your minimal standard. However, we can guarantee that in continuing to use it without service, it will suffer damage and ultimately fail completely due wear and lack of lubrication.

If you are participating in f6, it would be assumed that you are interested in watchmaking (and whether professional or amateur) achieving minimum industry standards.

Regards, BG

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When it's a £1.20 watch it's not important, if it was a £120.00 watch i'd be fixing it or paying someone to. I will look into seeing if I am able to fix this, if not I will list it for sale as is. I am not going to seriously have it as a main watch when my last count was 60 watches in my collection.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
When it's a £1.20 watch it's not important, if it was a £120.00 watch i'd be fixing it or paying someone to. I will look into seeing if I am able to fix this, if not I will list it for sale as is. I am not going to seriously have it as a main watch when my last count was 60 watches in my collection.
I will tell you up front, fixing it will cost more than the price of this watch. If you are moderately handy and have small screwdriver and willing to buy a replacement spring in the barrel, you will need to open up the watch, take a few screws out, take the old barrel out, put the new in. Simple. Worst case: you will lose your few bucks investment. Still will be able to sell it for parts. Otherwise, just give it a turn on the crown every hour or so and it will work. As people said, this is not the the best way but if it works for you....

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odessa, yes I agree with that. I have been looking up mainspring stuff around the internet today, so might give it a go?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
BG's point it that this sub-forum is about watchmaking (repair and servicing).

"Can / should I keep using my watch in a broken / unserviced condition?" is not a watchmaking question but, being a watchmaking forum, the only correct watchmaking answer to that is "you will cause more damage if you do", which is the answer he gave.

The cost of the watch, or potential repair cost, has no bearing at all on that.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
^^Do take the plunge. Just know that it's not the most inexpensive of the hobbies you can choose. BTW, do you have any idea what the movement is? That's the start to determining the source of a mainspring. If not, pop the back, take a good picture and post it here. A picture of the movement bottom may be necessary to ID it, which requires uncasing the movement and removing the hands and dial.

I find the ability to maintain my own equipment to be a rush, but that's been the case since I was a kid and figured out how to disassemble a Sturmey Archer three-speed hub.

Edit: I found a few examples of Marubi watches around the net, including your watch. Others mentioned an ETA 2783 but the watch was not the same as yours. If it is an ETA, you will see the ETA insignia just below the balance wheel near the outside of the movement and the model number stamped near it on the same piece. The ETA logo looks like this:

ETA Logo.png

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your time and effort. The movement has ECONOMIC SWISS TIME INC, and not the number on the case back. Can't see anything by the balance wheel. Movement layout looks a bit untypical, more difficult for me!

20191107_122247-1.jpg

20191107_122301-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Yeah, it's economic all right. I'd throw it in the junk drawer where it belongs. But you might want to try get your $1.50 back thru Ebay. While searching, I found your listing, to quote "I've owned this for a while, always kept decent time with a regular wind, but would benefit from a service." Definitely not as represented.

But if you want to, go ahead and try to take it apart. Beware that there's not going to be any assembly guide to go by and that it has an integral train and barrel bridge. That means the single bridge has to come off to get to the barrel and putting it back on can be a challenge as the three pivots you can see (and probably a fourth on in the middle that you can't see) have to be lined up to get the bridge back on.

Once you get to the barrel, it has a cover that snaps on and off. Removing the spring is shown on many YouTube videos. You should be able to measure the spring if you have the tools, in order to source a replacement.

You have a nice watch to learn how to disassemble and reassemble a watch, but not much else.

Oh, and before removing the first screw, make sure you've let down the reserve.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, it sounds a bit much for me, having never done the stuff before. It was worth the purchase price for the expanding bracelet with variable lug width though. I hope I can get my money back on ebay on top of that.

P.s.

This was the one I bought,

Screenshot_2019-11-07-22-44-52-1-1.png

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Take it apart and see how it works, can't hurt anything (although wear safety glasses when removing the mainspring). You can do it with a minimum of a set of watchmakers screwdrivers, a pair of tweezers and magnification.

I didn't see your listing as Ebay doesn't show closed bids and I relied on some site called pcclick that archives Ebay listings. The listing I saw was their most recent from late October, so I assumed it was yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts