WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comrades,

Here we have a fascinating glimpse at an old watchmaking manual. Many thanks to Alan (aka Worzel) for alerting me to sale of this fantastic reference source. Sadly, I can't read much -- yet -- but I really enjoy the pictures and diagrams. The book is quite fragile; a good sign it was well-used in its time. Perhaps those of you who speak Russian will have more insight into this book.

Text Font Paper Book Paper product

Copyright 1970.

Text Paper Font Book Paper product

Quite a bit of math involved.

Text Font Paper Handwriting Document

A female watchmaker, as usual, showing her best posture.

Text Paper Design Paper product Book

Nice to see 1MWF and Minsk both represented.

Text Font Paper Illustration Book

Some student was diligently studying.

Text Book Font Paper Novel

Oh look, a perfect match.

Text Paper Material property Paper product Document

An almost perfect match. My early '60s Strela is still with Dan, so I guess I'll have to settle for the 1959.

Watch Paper product Paper Illustration

Also, an interesting tidbit for English natives: the table of contents is at the back of the book. This took me by surprise, but I have since learned this is a typical feature of Russian books.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congratulations, mroatman!
Alan gave you a very good tip! The Popova Goldberg used to be a text book for the clockmaking and watchmaking institutes in USSR and it still is an excellent book. You'll love it |>

Also, an interesting tidbit for English natives: the table of contents is at the back of the book. This took me by surprise, but I have since learned this is a typical feature of Russian books.
Another typical information provided is circulation, i.e. how many copies were printed. My copy of Popova Goldberg reports Тираж 40 000 экз. (short for экземпляр.) Since there have been at least three or four editions of this book, and all with similar circulation, this is probably one of the most widespread watch-making books ever written.

Text Technology Watch Electronic device Electronics

// ocram

Interesting. Love to know what is being discussed on pages 14 and 15 with all the penciled exclamation points.
P.S. The penciled parts are about high precision clocks in USSR, in which (!) the authors mention the (quite controversial, yet very precise) Fedchenko astronomical pendulum clock, and go on with the first quartz clocks made in USSR in 1938. On the opposite page, more penciled parts about monk Lazar the Serb and the Kremlin tower clock he made in 1404, and Russian astronomer and polymath Mikhail Lomonosov (1711-1765.) Sort of history of timekeeping achievements from the other side of the Iron Curtain.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fascinating insight, ocram, thank you! And nice Zvezda, by the way ;)

When I am home later, I will photograph the Table of Contents. If there are any specific parts of the book someone would like to see, I can upload those sections. I am specifically looking for any reference of Type-1 movements for Worzel, but haven't found any so far. Ocram, do you know if there is any part of the book which discusses these early movements?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another typical information provided is circulation, i.e. how many copies were printed. My copy of Popova Goldberg reports Тираж 40 000 экз. (short for экземпляр.) Since there have been at least three or four editions of this book, and all with similar circulation, this is probably one of the most widespread watch-making books ever written.
I have the 5th edition of this book (printed in 1989), its circulation is 75000 copies.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is there a way to tell which edition mine is? It must be somewhat early with only 27,000 copies printed and a copyright of 1970.
Sure :) Putting our data together, plus a little supplement, we now know that there have been five editions of the Popova Goldberg spanning over almost 20 years! Here we go:

• 1st ed. 1970, 416 pp., circulation 27,000 copies (thanks, mroatman!)
  • 2nd ed. 1973, 446 pp.
  • 3rd ed. 1976, 480 pp., circulation 40,000 copies
  • 4th ed. 1982, 368 pp.
  • 5th ed. 1989, 415 pp., circulation 75,000 copies (thanks Surok55!)

All editions were published by Vysshaya Shkola, Russia's biggest publishing house (see OJSC "Vysshaya Shkola Publishers")
Here is the table of contents, as well as the back cover with an interesting watermark.
The nice watermark is Vysshaya's logo, it says Издательство "Высшая школа" Москва, 1970 годы, published by Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow. Here's another one.
Logo Text Font Graphics Brand

Unfortunately, no information is provided on the glorious Type-I. In general, the technical information on the earlier soviet pocket watch calibers is very scarce.
A huge resource to glean information from is German Polosin's website. He put several Russian books online at Ëèòåðàòóðà ïî óñòðîéñòâó è ðåìîíòó ÷àñîâ including the 5th edition of the Popova Goldberg.
Happy reading :)

// ocram

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure :) Putting our data together, plus a little supplement, we now know that there have been five editions of the Popova Goldberg spanning over almost 20 years! Here we go:

• 1st ed. 1970, 416 pp., circulation 27,000 copies (thanks, mroatman!)
  • 2nd ed. 1973, 446 pp.
  • 3rd ed. 1976, 480 pp., circulation 40,000 copies
  • 4th ed. 1982, 368 pp.
  • 5th ed. 1989, 415 pp., circulation 75,000 copies (thanks Surok55!)

All editions were published by Vysshaya Shkola, Russia's biggest publishing house (see OJSC "Vysshaya Shkola Publishers")

The nice watermark is Vysshaya's logo, it says Издательство "Высшая школа" Москва, 1970 годы, published by Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow. Here's another one.

Unfortunately, no information is provided on the glorious Type-I. In general, the technical information on the earlier soviet pocket watch calibers is very scarce.
A huge resource to glean information from is German Polosin's website. He put several Russian books online at Ëèòåðàòóðà ïî óñòðîéñòâó è ðåìîíòó ÷àñîâ including the 5th edition of the Popova Goldberg.
Happy reading :)

// ocram
Ocram, you are incredible. This is such valuable and interesting information. Thank you.

Are you Russian? Your English is flawless, as is your knowledge of Soviet watchmaking literature!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Comrades,

Here we have a fascinating glimpse at an old watchmaking manual...
Sadly, I can't read much -- yet -- but I really enjoy the pictures and diagrams. The book is quite fragile; a good sign it was well-used in its time. Perhaps those of you who speak Russian will have more insight into this book...

Thanks for looking!
Don't you young people know of any, reasonably priced, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software that extracts Russian text from images, so that the gist of the text could be revealed. If it then seemed relevant we can pester the likes of Ocram for a real translation.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Don't you young people know of any, reasonably priced, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software that extracts Russian text from images, so that the gist of the text could be revealed. If it then seemed relevant we can pester the likes of Ocram for a real translation.
Interesting idea. I did find one free website (i2OCR - Free Online OCR) and tried it out with the first page of the book -- the one with the copyright info. Here's how it scanned:

Попова В. Д. И ГОЛЬДЁСРГ Н- 53, М”
п.53 Устроттство и технология соо Ф ш
„р0ф__тех„_ уч„д„ш_ М‚‚ «Вьтснт. шко.та‚т‚ 1„.0.

416 с. с илл. 27000 экз. об к.

В книге описано устройство часов хтсхаттттческттх.
роттио-тттечаттттческттх и электрических, приведены КПНЁЧЗГНЧЦ‘
сктте счемьт часов выпгскаехтьтх прохтьтшлеттттостьто, стттттсаъл
устройство основных чзлов часового механизма. особенности
их изготовления, дана характеристика их работы, Ъхнттта тат-
же содержит сведения о технологии сстстртдтт умов часовото
ьтеханттзхта, методах регулировки тт испытании часов.

Книга предттазначетта в качестве учебника ‚тля подготовит
сборщиков часов в профессионадьттст-технттчестсттх училиттктк

часов Учсбттттк ттт

ЭЛСЫ Г‘

Замечания у
* т пожелания ч
Просим направлять по адресу:

Аюсква к51
› ° ‚ Негшн
школах ‘ “а” уж, 29/14, издательство «Ватсцщя

‚ГГЕРЦ щфыд‘

Ъ, |т')"1+“ттлчч .„ т _

_ А‘ ‘к’ Е?“ ^ И ' ‘жакеты!тН_т‘1сЁк.`1{11Ё Н 311314-
1рПНт1Ые ЦсЁЦЁЧ арбуз; {их НО-ТддвТЧКЛЦЕО 601]
—‘›. д -\ ‚’ У_' "ч
11111Нс1гсцт 5 эти. ` р „ д г.‘ о „И д Ч „пр“. „гни“ П
‚ - с Ф. `к\ ‚ д '
В (_`А‘..›.Ё.,\‘1 И Ёт, ’0‘\ !)›` Ё5т)`\[
т ‘ _ \—4`ъ.. :т"‘ ›_ (и д "'_
ЬАЮЛН С Нтпклпмттт)‘ЗЬЕтЛРНЕ )с“трдттдттздт\ттт; {1[31‘()31а1‘11т1е-
” Ёд П"а`‚ Е: › ‘Ё ' ‘с ‘Я’ ' “хч ц — .‚ ——`
ЕтГЪЪ. Н Н Ц_>.1._ .\„1.1‹..11„рт„\Т. сс_тх)[1„[()_›ткр()М‚ стпнадьнтдтдт
дстроисттзом и т. „т.

Рост четсотиттт иттоттьтттт тсттттттсттт трсбгстт‘ новьтч квчти
в ‚ . __ т . ‘у ‘ с ` _
трнцттрсттзттнньтх рттоочттх ргтздтттчттьтх спсниадтьттостетт‚ их

р овят как ттт Г1Б)()Х1»Ь(`)—-ШК1ЪЗКЧ так тт в ттрофсссиональтттт-
“гехничсскттх тчттпттттттах. Одной из тае›_=т\'дтрд1 1х шешачьностегд
раоочнхятасовтцттков этвдтястся сттециацтьттость сборщика
часов.

Настоятттаэт книга предназначена в качестве учебного
ПОСОбПЯ [тля [ПЁЪ11`О1`()В1{11 сборщиков часов 2 и Змго разря-
дов в ирофессиоттгтлтьночгехттттттескттк училищах, Она „О-
жст бьтгь исттолтьзовангт тт при гтоттготовке ретбогтттч нетто-
сттсдтсгветттто на часовых заводах.

Учебный матерналт излагается в книге в соответствии
с учебном программой, утвержденной Государственным
комитетом (‚овеча Мттткяттитсгров (‚ССР но профессионально-
темтътческотиу ооразтэванито,

And here's the translation:

Popov VD and GOLDЁSRG H 53 M "
claim 53 Ustrottstvo and technology wo F w
"R0f__teh" _ uch "d" sh_ M "Vtsnt. shko.ta,t 1 ".0.

416. with illustrations. 27,000 copies. about to.

The book describes a device htskhattttchesktth hours.
Rotten tttechattttchesktth and electrical, given KPNЁCHZGNCHTS '
sktte schemt hours vypgskaehtth prohttshlettttostto, stttttsal
basic device chzlov clockwork. Features
their manufacture, given the characteristics of their work, hnttta tat
also contains information about the technology sststrtdtt minds chasovoto
tehanttzhta, methods of adjusting the TT test hours.

Predttaznachetta book as a textbook, aphids prepare
Collector hours professionadttst-tehnttcheststth uchilittktk

Uchsbttttk hours mmm

ELSY T '

Notes from
* Wishes t h
Please send to:

Ayuskva K51
> °, Negshn
School "and" really, 29/14, publishing "Vatstsschya

, GGERTS schfyd '

Kommersant, | m ') "1+" ttlchch. "T _

_ A 'to' E? '^ And' jackets! TN_t'1sЁk.`1 {11Ё N 311314-
1rPNt1Ye TssЁTsЁCh watermelon; {TddvTChKLTsEO their HO-601]
- '>. d - \ 'V-' 'h
5 11111Ns1gstst these. `P 'e was' of "W & D" prospect ". "STI" P
- With the FA to `\ q '
In (_`A..>. E. \ 'Em And 1,' 0 '\!)> `Ё5t)` \ [
T '_ \ -4` ..: t' '> _ (and d' '_
With AYULN Ntpklpmttt) 'ZEtLRNE) from "trdttdttzdt \ mmm; {1 [31 '() 31a1'11t1e-
"Ёd P" a`, E> 'E' to 'Z' '' xv c -., --`
EtG. N N U _>. 1._. \ "1.1 <.. 11" Hg "\ T. ss_th) [1 "[() ~> TCR () M stpnadntdtdt
dstroisttzom and so on. "t.

Height chetsotittt ittotttttt tsttttttsttt trsbgstt 'novtch kvchti
at , . __ T. 'y' to `_
trntsttrsttzttnnth rttoochtth rgtzdtttchttth spsniadtttostett their

p ovyat like mmm G1B) () X1 'L (') - so SHK1ZKCH TT ttrofsssionaltttt-
"Gehnichssktth tchttpttttttah. One of tae> _ = \ 't dtrd1 1x sheshachnostegd
raoochnhyatasovttsttkov etvdtyastsya sttetsiatstttost collector
hours.

Nastoyatttaet book is intended as an educational
POSObPYa [aphid [PЁ11`O1` () {B1, 11 hours 2 collectors and discharge Zmgo
Dov irofessiottgtltnochgehtttttteskttk in schools, she "O-
LMC btg isttoltzovangt min at gtottgotovke retbogtttch net
sttsdtsgvetttto in a watch factory.

Training maternalt describes in the book, in accordance
with the curriculum approved by the State
Committee (, sheep Mtttkyattitsgrov (, but vocational SSR
temttcheskotiu ooraztevanito,

I think uploading one page at a time with a higher-quality scanned image (rather than a camera-phone shot) would lead to much better results. But it's time consuming and I don't own a scanner. I may play around with this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
:-! There you go! Thanks for the link.

Perhaps not the best way to do a whole translation, but considering that was free software, using images from your camera phone, the results are encouraging. Please let us know how you get on.

As schnurrp said earlier "At your usual pace you will have it translated and posted on your site by the end of the year, mroatman." ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts