WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone thought i would share some more pics. the watch on the left says seeland watch co back case and elcko on in side any info would be help full. on on right says tradition on face back pic looks to me to be an automatic 21 jewel any info date of watchs and would be helpful and thanks again for all the info i have received it teachs me something new all the time and yes i have the watch itch and it wont stop i love watchs ....

Attachments

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
hey everyone thought i would share some more pics. the watch on the left says seeland watch co back case and elcko on in side any info would be help full. on on right says tradition on face back pic looks to me to be an automatic 21 jewel any info date of watchs and would be helpful and thanks again for all the info i have received it teachs me something new all the time and yes i have the watch itch and it wont stop i love watchs ....
Abut the brand - look at:

http://www.watchlounge.com/wbb2/wl/thread.php?threadid=7838&sid=395a2639a5020dec096e1b26d61b968e

The last post is in English and is extracted from Pritchard's book. An interesting company!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Marrick has already given you some information about Seeland.
The Seeland watch looks to me like it's from the 1940s - or as late as early 1950s. I don't think it's earlier because it has shock protection.
The Tradition wristwatch is a generic 25 jewel automatic from the 1970s.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,168 Posts
The automatic definitely has an ETA calibre, something like the 2452 (compare http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2452) or another in that series. Note that the balance cock is completely hidden by the automatic winding mechanism bridge. I have a mid-sixties Provita with an ETA 2472 which is practically identical.

As for the other, I can't place it offhand. Reminds me vaguely of something by Adolf Schild..... Probably also generic, anyway.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Elco watch
A little hard to tell for certain from the angle, but looks like an upscale AS 1525 http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&AS_1525
I have a couple Elco watches and they both have the gold chatons around the jewels like yours (I've discovered I'm a sucker for chatons).
Based on the couple I've seen, I would rate them between Bulova and Omega (to name a couple of well known brands).

Tradition
I also have a couple Tradition watches and they are both labelled "Sears Roebuck". They are also both solid stainless steel.
As others have said, it looks like an ETA movement. To be sure, look for the cartouche/logo and calibre/model number under the balance wheel (I think I can see a piece of it in your photo)
Despite Sears and it's mail order and department store heritage now being considered as "dumpy department store" by some, these same watches with a more trendy name would be very desirable now as a mid-level watch (IMO roughly on par with 1970s bulova). Modern, new stainless steel watches with similar ETA movements are selling for $200 to $800 now.

Of course, I'm far from being an expert.

I'm interested in other people's opinions.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,168 Posts
I have always wondered about "Tradition"! In the wrist alarm section in Brunner/ Pfeiffer-Belli's trilingual wristwatch book, there is an old advert from the fifties with the name "Tradition" under a (three-pronged) crown and a wrist alarm with Adolf Schild AS 1475 calibre. The exact style of the lettering differs, though. What makes me wonder is that the ad is marked "Alarm indication by Reusser, 1950s". What are the links between Reusser, Tradition, Sears - and are there two "Traditions"?!!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I think "Tradition" in block letters with a crown over it and "Tradition" in script without a crown are 2 separate companies (or perhaps Sears bought the name?)

The Sears ones I've seen have "Tradition" in script like the OP's watch and appear to be from the 1970s.

I haven't seen any of the other "Tradition" (with crown) watches, but the ad I've seen seems to place it pre 1960s

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,301 Posts
I have always wondered about "Tradition"! In the wrist alarm section in Brunner/ Pfeiffer-Belli's trilingual wristwatch book, there is an old advert from the fifties with the name "Tradition" under a (three-pronged) crown and a wrist alarm with Adolf Schild AS 1475 calibre. The exact style of the lettering differs, though. What makes me wonder is that the ad is marked "Alarm indication by Reusser, 1950s". What are the links between Reusser, Tradition, Sears - and are there two "Traditions"?!!

Hartmut Richter
I've seen a Sears brand alarm watch with AS1475 on ebay. Maybe the same model with a different brand? On the other hand, who didn't make a watch with the AS1475 back then o|

1 - 9 of 9 Posts