WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was browsing the OFREI webpage and noticed they had a sale on the bergeon spring bar pliers. They are so expensive but since they rarely go on sale, I thought I would get one as well as some other items. Can't believe the green mat cost so much, I hope it is worth it. Plenty of Polywatch now to polish the hesalite!

Reactions: yande

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Looks like a nice little score there ACW. Pliers, Polywatch I know, but the Green Mat and the other boxed item and Sp*** Lubricator, as a famous Australian once asked, "please explain?" (For the Australian contingent, caught "Celebrity Apprentice," once...
Ofrei has some very cool items though with the Freight cost, I can understand grouping your purchases. Looks good. I love tools and items of use generally.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a nice little score there ACW. Pliers, Polywatch I know, but the Green Mat and the other boxed item and Sp*** Lubricator, as a famous Australian once asked, "please explain?" (For the Australian contingent, caught "Celebrity Apprentice," once...
Ofrei has some very cool items though with the Freight cost, I can understand grouping your purchases. Looks good. I love tools and items of use generally.
The lubricator is for the water proof O ring from waterproof watches. It is a cleaner way to put the silicone on it vs just spraying on your hand. Just put it in the case, twist and you are good.

The green mat is made of some type of rubber that reduces items from rolling and boucing around when you take them off. E.g. spring bars. The color is supposed to make it easier to see all the tiny parts.

The pliers in the box is for removing the spring bars on bracelets where it is tough to get off, i.e. Omega S/S bracelets where depressing both sides at once can help. I have the single bergeon spring bar tool and wanted to try this one as well.

The little Swiss army box is a knife with built in blade to open snap back watches. I have been using a bergeon lever type and it works for most watches but not the very thin ones so I needed a better tool than an exacto blade.

Reactions: yande

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Thank you ACW for your time and excellent explanation. Brings to mind the saying, "a bad workman always blames his tools." :-d
Judging by your photos, you now have nothing to blame apart from....... ;-)

You are a man after my own heart. Good tools for a good job. Again, with thanks..

Speaking of tools and their uses, this link has been invaluable for me, in the short time I have been reading it.. Regardless of movement, there are some great tips.

How to repair a Seiko 7S26 Automatic wrist watch

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link, there seems to be some great info on there. I have always made sure I use the correct tools whenever I do anything and I got started on the watch fever many years ago with just not being happy with people changing the battery on my quartz watches. So little by little it morphed into my first manual wind, then automatic watches. So I needed to start getting more and more tools. I know that that Bergeon name so well now and keep adding to the tool collection like I did when I bought tools to repair and modify my car. Even though I have rebuilt many motors, I have not attempted an automatic watch service yet. I did do the timing adjustment on a speedy but that was very easy with a timing device and screwdriver... Maybe in the future when I get more brave.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Can't believe the green mat cost so much, I hope it is worth it.
It's a bit late now, but in the future if you decide you need to replace your green mat, try looking for something called Borco. It's used to cover old manual drafting tables, and is very cheap (and much better) than the mats sold at the material houses.

This is what I use on my bench - bought a load of it for just a few dollars (note it was still a little curled from being rolled up in this photo).

Cheers, Al

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
ACW, lets just say, post count does not maketh a watch maker... Oh to be as brave, or knowledgeable to touch my Speedmaster. In admiration, but then......

Nice connecting with you
regards

Mark

·
Registered
660 Posts
I always wanted that OFREI springbar tool, but it wasn't in my budget. I found a cheap version on EBAY (Search: Spring Bar Tool). I purchased it from China for 15 + 4 shipping. I have not used it yet. If anyone is thinking about getting one I can say that the spring bar forks are well made and reversable.

SpringBar1.JPG

SpringBar2.JPG

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just out of curiosity...what are the beakers for?
They are for the ultrasonic cleaner that I have. Instead of putting the items in the main tub you use the beakers instead.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nice setup, the pics prompted me to show mine off ;-)

Here's my antique desk being worked on

How it came up

My workstation with a green silicone mat I got from the kitchen shop for a lot less than at a watch tool supplier.

And a close-up, Yande may recognise the bits of a Seiko movement there in the tray.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice setup, the pics prompted me to show mine off ;-)
Wow, very nice setup. Nice to see that I am not the only one that uses toothbrushes in the arsenal.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Bergeon spring bar tool. Picked one up and hope to elevate headaches when swapping out bracelets.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Bergeon spring bar tool. Picked one up and hope to elevate headaches when swapping out bracelets.
I don't usually pick up on others spelling, but I am sure your purchase was meant to eleviate your headache, not elevate it? :-d Regardless a very cool looking tool, and I look forward to hearing about its efficiency.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I don't usually pick up on others spelling, but I am sure your purchase was meant to eleviate your headache, not elevate it? :-d Regardless a very cool looking tool, and I look forward to hearing about its efficiency.
Aww dude...I'm sorry but I think you meant alleviate. When JWM69 forgives you...then in turn forgive me.

No hard feelings...!!

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
And a close-up, Yande may recognise the bits of a Seiko movement there in the tray.
Wow Jim, to think that I was initially impressed by the photos of your cars. Your work desk and layout is most impressive and beautiful also. And no, sorry to say I didn't recognise the Seiko Movement.

All the best

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Aww dude...I'm sorry but I think you meant alleviate. If JWM69 forgives you...then in turn forgive me.

All in good faith though!
Now I am embarrassed and this is the exact reason I don't usually etc.... o| Thanks for being gentle baronrojo. Appreciated. I am now begging JWM69's forgiveness, but it really was a fun mistake of his. I liked it enough to comment on it, albeit erringly.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Now I am embarrassed and this is the exact reason I don't usually etc.... o| Thanks for being gentle baronrojo. Appreciated. I am now begging JWM69's forgiveness, but it really was a fun mistake of his. I liked it enough to comment on it, albeit erringly.
Lol...I thought about it and hesitated like you have no idea...glad you took it with humor. But I HAD to!!

As long as you don't blacklist me we're good.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
As long as you don't blacklist me we're good.
Quiet the opposite.

Just joking! Quite the opposite, it's been nice to connect. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts