WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I guess it was about time that one of these showed up in the wild! ;-)
My crappy pics don't do the watch justice, but I think you get the idea.
Some first impressions:
- Very impressive case!! And the build quality and finish is top notch!
- I absolutely LOVE the curved bezel! It really extends the curve of the cristal.
- Although the watch is big, it is VERY comfortable. Even on my 6.75 in wrist it sits perfecly!
- The huge dial is another big plus. This really increases the legibility compared to older Doxa models.
- The lume is excellent! I never had a 5000T (which I guess is the benchmark), but it easily has the best lume of all my divers.
- I really like the power reserve indicator. I think it's always good to know how much power reserve you have left (but then again, others might disagree...! ;-)). Funnily enough, "in the metal", the power indicator is way less intrusive than on picures (but then again, I also liked it on the pictures, and the "save dive" or -/+ never bothered me).
- My Sharkie does not have the "hands issue": all hands are painted perfectly.
- My only small gripe is that I would have preferred an orange minute hand. But I know that the "white shark" had a lot of fans, and all recent Sharkhunters had orange minute hands after all...

But enough said, here are the pics:

Btw: tomorrow I will take it on a test dive. I will post an update on how it performs in the element it has been designed for...! ;-)

Cheers,

Beedoo

Update 22.12.10:

Back from diving! The dive was rather challenging: crawling in the mud while searching whitefish eggs at almost zero visibility and 6 degrees Celsius water temperature...! :roll: But the new "great white" performed flawlessly as expected. While the XL-dial is very nice to have on dry land, it becomes essential underwater: the 4000T Sharkie is easily one of the most legible divers I have ever owned! I also really like the new bezel: it feels very solid and moves smoothly yet with firm clicks. Also the larger "sawteeth" make it very easy to grip, even with the bulky dry gloves. All in all, I'm very impressed by this new watch. I own/owned many fine diver during the years, of various big brands. As a backup of my dive computer, my "reference diver" during the last couple of years was mostly my trusty Sinn U1 SDR, a no nonsense tool diver which is hard to beat functionality-wise IMHO. I still love this watch, but I think it will start collecting some dust, as the new Monster-Shark will replace it more and more...! :-d

Unfortunately, I have no underwater pics from today (waaay too many particles in the water to get a sharp photo), but here are a couple of pics where I was still on the boat/at the surface. Hope you like them!

Cheers,

Beedoo

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Re: Some Q & D pics of my SUB 4000T Sharkie

Can't see pics...

·
Registered
160 Posts

Thanks for posting. You beat Doxa to the punch. I would have liked to see the orange minute hand as well. I love this new watch but in deciding between the Sharkhunter and the Professional it seems there is just too much white in the dial/hands of the Sharkhunter. If I didn't already have another Professional model there would be no debate for me. What do you think now that you have it? Do the white markings really stand out in person?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ok...see them now. Wow, that's a huge chunk of steel! I think I prefer the Sharkie over the Pro based on the pics to date.

·
Registered
342 Posts

"I also liked it on the pictures, and the "save dive" or -/+ never bothered me"

I would be very bothered if it read "save dive" on the watch though! *joking*

It seems like a nice watch. I would prefer an orange hand as well!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts

Looks great, just as I imagined it would. Where are you diving tomorrow?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

"I also liked it on the pictures, and the "save dive" or -/+ never bothered me"

I would be very bothered if it read "save dive" on the watch though! *joking*

It seems like a nice watch. I would prefer an orange hand as well!
Oops! It was a bit late yesterday evening...! :-d

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for posting. You beat Doxa to the punch. I would have liked to see the orange minute hand as well. I love this new watch but in deciding between the Sharkhunter and the Professional it seems there is just too much white in the dial/hands of the Sharkhunter. If I didn't already have another Professional model there would be no debate for me. What do you think now that you have it? Do the white markings really stand out in person?
I had the exact same feeling like you in the beginning: too much white! But now that I have it, I like it more and more. With this all white layout, the watch looks very elegant and yet still very professional. I think it looks right at home on a drysuit but would not look out of place with a business suit as well! ;-)
I think I would still have preferred an orange minute hand, but this "great white" is growing on me more and more every minute I wear it!

Cheers,

Beedoo

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Looks great, just as I imagined it would. Where are you diving tomorrow?
Thanks! It really is an awesome watch! I'm doing some underwater work for a research project in lake Bienne, just about 15 minutes away from the Doxa headquarter! ;-)

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts

Thanks! It really is an awesome watch! I'm doing some underwater work for a research project in lake Bienne, just about 15 minutes away from the Doxa headquarter! ;-)
Great, post pics if you can.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts

Very cool and congratulations, thanks for sharing the new watch with us. Looking forward to more pics and a dive report :-!.

·
Registered
40,504 Posts

Congrats on being the first 4000T Sharky!! and beating Doxa to the punch on the pics!!!
I always loved the Sharkhunters though that IS a lot of white...I'll have to look at both side by side later but I think the SHarky may be may fave... maybe it's the black dial contrasting more with the SS...
I was just thinking that this Sharky version would be killer with the applied indices of the 5000 I think...

Have a "safe dive" :) tomorrow and wear it in good health!! Congrats again!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Congrats on being the first 4000T Sharky!! and beating Doxa to the punch on the pics!!!
I always loved the Sharkhunters though that IS a lot of white...I'll have to look at both side by side later but I think the SHarky may be may fave... maybe it's the black dial contrasting more with the SS...
I was just thinking that this Sharky version would be killer with the applied indices of the 5000 I think...

Have a "safe dive" :) tomorrow and wear it in good health!! Congrats again!
Thanks very much for your comments! I'm already back from diving and the new "great white" performed flawlessly! (See update in my original post...)
I agree: the 4000T might look nice with applied indices. But I think I prefer the classic indices: gives the watch a more toolish look IMHO.

Cheers,

Beedoo

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,877 Posts

I have to say.......that is probably one of the best real dive watches used for diving these days. Like you said........large, legible dial, great bezel, excellent contrasting hands............I have taken a bit of time to warm to the new size/look/safe dive, but in some ways this might just be the best diver yet. Thanks so much for your sharing of the new pics. It DEFINITELY looks great over a drysuit/wetsuit. It looks right at home. :-!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts

Once again, great looking Sharkie. What's cool is that the last photo looks blue, like a Caribbean.

So how was the dive? In what type of research project are you participating? What's the best lake to dive in Switzerland?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.