WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone.
This is my first post, but I have been a keen viewer for some time now. I dropped myself into the watch world by accident. My brother in law had bought himself a very fancy and expensive swiss watch and I wondered if I could buy a good quality mechanical watch that matched my budget. Having hunted around a bit I settled on a Seiko JDM, the SARB 033 and before I knew it I kept buying Seiko watches! The Seiko Alpinist, a baby Tuna, Cocktail Time Analog watch Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Material property
Wrist Hand Watch Leaf Tree
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
. This list went on. Unfortunately my wife (who is inherently thrifty) was losing her temper every time the postman delivered yet another watch shaped package!

I started to become interested in buying a Flieger style watch having bought a Seiko SRPB07 (Presage line) which had a distinct pilot style to it (actually this is a fantastic watch). I read some reviews and thought that a Laco Augsburg Type A dial would be nice and headed off to the Laco dealer in Berlin. The salesman did not speak English and I did not speak German so the conversation was a bit off kilter. He did not ask my budget and before I knew it he was showing me a Laco Munster and loving it. It was out of budget,and then a Laco Classic Weimar (38mm) caught my eye. I had seen these on line and had discounted it largely because it did not look that impressive in the photos I had seen of it. However in the flesh it looked significantly better than in the promo shots and so I paid up my money. I thought I'd share some opinions and pics of this watch as there does not seem to be much comment on this particular watch.I see there is a great review on this forum of the Laco Classic Petrol (a beautiful green faced watch), but nothing that I can see on the Weimar.

The Weimar's style is evidently Bauhaus, and provides a more affordable watch than the Laco Berlin which is significantly more expensive. I had the chance to look at the Berlin in the flesh which again was a beautiful watch with a lovely finished ETA 2892 with a case that was 40mm and slightly shallower than the Weimar. The Weimar however immediately caught my eye as it came in a 38mm diameter (there is also a 40 mm variation). 38mm is a perfect size in my opinion for a versatile watch in the Bauhaus style. Its lug width is 18mm which keeps lovely proportions for a 38mm diameter case. However I have a very slim wrist and so this wears fine, however I suspect that if you have larger wrists the slimmer strap may look a touch 'dainty'. The strap was a NATO, which was 'OK' but nothing amazing. I swapped this straight off for a Hirsch Scandic, the style of which with the modern rounded end to the strap suits the Weimar nicely.

The case is completely brushed and is finished in my opinion to a very nice standard,with a signed crown. The upper and mid parts to the metal case seemed to be of a similar standard to the Berlin (at least to my untrained eye), although things are different around the back. A downside to the watch is that it has a mineral crystal front and case back. This is not a massive issue given the price of the watch, but a quick tap of the front crystal suggests its very thin. Perhaps this is a requirement of the overall design, or to save money I have no idea. Nevertheless I suspect that it would not survive a moderate knock particularly well. The dial is a nice dark grey colour with nicely raised (applied?) silver numerals again in a Bauhaus style.

The movement is a Miyota 9015, which given the price of the watch is reasonable. This is the first Miyota movement I have experience of, being used to Seiko movements, including the 6r15. The Miyota is a reasonably nice looking movement given its price point and keeps accuracy somewhat better than my 6r15 movements. The Miyota is a rock steady 3.5 seconds slow a day as measured on the WatchCheck app. I have to admit that the rotor is rather noisy, and from what I can ascertain this seems to be a feature of this movement. Yes in a quiet room if I wave my arm around it is distinctly audible, but in normal use day to day I never notice it, so I cannot really complain. All in all, I rather like this watch and it definitely gets more time on my wrist than my other watches (plus a few more compliments from other people). I'm now popping some money aside in the bank for a Laco flieger - probably the hand winding Memmingen. I have to admit I prefer the Memingen/Munster over the Stowa flieger Klassic.. Apologies for the poorish photos - best I could do given my time and resources ! Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi - sorry for the delay in responding to your post schmoll77. Yes, still happy. In fact so happy I have since purchased a Laco Memmingen (hand winding 42mm flieger) and a Laco Spirit of St Louis Pilot's cockpit watch. The Memmingen gets a lot of writst time, but I have to say that I still really love the 38mm Weimar and am still very impressed with the Miyota 9015 movement (better IMHO than the Seiko 6r15 which a number of my watches are run off). If all my watches disappeared tomorrow, it would be the Weimar that I would replace first. I think I will post up a joint review of the Memmingen and the Spirit of St Louis in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts