WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Holy [email protected]#$% Batman.

I gotta say, remarkable and disappointing at the same time.

The words....fleece, rip off, pulling a fast one, con, been had come to mind. An offical from Richemont needs to step in here for comment, I'm amazed the Panerai would have such low grade movements in their inventory.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Better. By far, but in a minimalistic way.
How can I know for sure? With an solid case back, there's no way of telling for sure.

I have to be honest, seeing this thread and the whole Amazon/Costco now selling Panerai, I'm starting to doubt Panerai's exclusiveness.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
How can I know for sure? With an solid case back, there's no way of telling for sure.
You unscrew the case back

I have to be honest, seeing this thread and the whole Amazon/Costco now selling Panerai, I'm starting to doubt Panerai's exclusiveness.
Hold on. This was a run of 150 watches out of how many Panerai has made? And the Amazon/Costco issue applies to plenty of other luxury brands where some distributor has gotten hold of a limited supply of watches. They are not authorizing the sale of Panerai at Costco. So take a step back. It's all ok.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am surprised and disappointed (if this is indeed true), but all of the reactionary responses I'm reading don't make any sense to me. People are assuming that OP's intention was to rip people off, scam them, whatever. Really? If a pretty decorated movement cost an extra $100 per watch, then OP perpetrated this wicked scam for a total of $15,000 extra? Really? I just find that tough to believe. I don't have any idea what the explanation might be, and it's disappointing whatever it is, but a sinister plot doesn't quite add up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe I didn't get the whole picture (haven't read all the posts), but I seriously doubt Panerai would release something with a base ETA 6497-2. It's not even signed.
If I had to guess, I would say whoever sold the watch (or some middle-man) took the movement from the Panerai and slapped a base ETA on it (easy peasy job). Since it's a solid caseback, it would probably take years before the owner realised it had a bogus movement (if the owner took it in for service - some don't).
In all likeliness, there's some watch out there (ETA/Unitas base) with the Panerai movement on it.
If indeed Panerai let something like this through (which I highly doubt), oh well...o|

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Maybe I didn't get the whole picture (haven't read all the posts), but I seriously doubt Panerai would release something with a base ETA 6497-2. It's not even signed.
If I had to guess, I would say whoever sold the watch (or some middle-man) took the movement from the Panerai and slapped a base ETA on it (easy peasy job). Since it's a solid caseback, it would probably take years before the owner realised it had a bogus movement (if the owner took it in for service - some don't).
In all likeliness, there's some watch out there (ETA/Unitas base) with the Panerai movement on it.
If indeed Panerai let something like this through (which I highly doubt), oh well...o|
It is true. That is what Officine panerai puts in the 318. A $150 bone stock eta 6497. On a $4500 watch.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Makes me want to open up the back of my LE 417 Edition... I'd be VERY upset if what resided inside was anything similar to what the original post showed in the 318!!

I tend to think someone swapped the Pam movement for a base movement. I do not know. I may have to pull the back of mine now and take a peak... hmmm.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Makes me want to open up the back of my LE 417 Edition... I'd be VERY upset if what resided inside was anything similar to what the original post showed in the 318!!

I tend to think someone swapped the Pam movement for a base movement. I do not know. I may have to pull the back of mine now and take a peak... hmmm.
If you're worried, then I think you should. But I believe it's already been done and the other boutique editions like the 417 and 390 have the usual pretty movements. This seems to be isolated to the 318. No need for everyone to panic.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Let's assume that Panerai did in fact put a base 6497 movement in the 318, then I'd wonder if the guy in the risti thread was right, in that maybe these will be sought after pieces considering the limited 150 of them in circulation and the, gulp, base 6497 movement inside. It'll be interesting to see what the value of these things will be in near future if any appear in the used market.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If indeed this movement was intentionally placed in this watch????? From the "offsite" thread, there seemed to be at least (7) other identical wathces with the same factory movement.

Plain & simple, if this is what OP is willing to do despite the overwhelming customer base & focus on quality, I not only would not buy a PAM without a display case, I also want to look at all of my watches.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Let's assume that Panerai did in fact put a base 6497 movement in the 318, then I'd wonder if the guy in the risti thread was right, in that maybe these will be sought after pieces considering the limited 150 of them in circulation and the, gulp, base 6497 movement inside. It'll be interesting to see what the value of these things will be in near future if any appear in the used market.
I think there was a hint of humor/sarcasm when he mentioned it. It is not a uniquely high finished oddity which can possibly gain in value. If Panerai slapped in 50 low end Chinese/Jap movements solid case back for an Asian L.E. would it also make it more valuable over time - I think not. In the end I think the reaction of the unaware owners and potential admirers says it all.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Sadly, a perfect example of something I thankfully didn't learn the hard way.

With watches, you simply don't get what you pay for. Depending on the model, yes; sometimes you get more. Other times, less. And that can mean a whole lot less.

Is there any chance at all that the watch that was opened up is simply a really good fake?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
While I do think it is quite disappointing that OP slap an undecorated movement in there. But they did announce that the movement is a "special" caliber that will not be COSC certified. Is it a deal breaker? No, because with luxury watches we never get what we pay for. I am one of 150 owner of a LE Panerai. What more can I ask for?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I am one of 150 owner of a LE Panerai. What more can I ask for?
The movement that was actually advertised by the company and which isn't the same unrefined basic stock movement found in boutique watches that cost a twentieth of what you paid for your watch?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts