WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Someone opened up a 318 and found this:

27K views 78 replies 27 participants last post by  timefleas 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Holy !@#$% Batman.

I gotta say, remarkable and disappointing at the same time.

The words....fleece, rip off, pulling a fast one, con, been had come to mind. An offical from Richemont needs to step in here for comment, I'm amazed the Panerai would have such low grade movements in their inventory.

#8 ·
#10 ·
I am surprised and disappointed (if this is indeed true), but all of the reactionary responses I'm reading don't make any sense to me. People are assuming that OP's intention was to rip people off, scam them, whatever. Really? If a pretty decorated movement cost an extra $100 per watch, then OP perpetrated this wicked scam for a total of $15,000 extra? Really? I just find that tough to believe. I don't have any idea what the explanation might be, and it's disappointing whatever it is, but a sinister plot doesn't quite add up.

#11 · (Edited)
Maybe I didn't get the whole picture (haven't read all the posts), but I seriously doubt Panerai would release something with a base ETA 6497-2. It's not even signed.
If I had to guess, I would say whoever sold the watch (or some middle-man) took the movement from the Panerai and slapped a base ETA on it (easy peasy job). Since it's a solid caseback, it would probably take years before the owner realised it had a bogus movement (if the owner took it in for service - some don't).
In all likeliness, there's some watch out there (ETA/Unitas base) with the Panerai movement on it.
If indeed Panerai let something like this through (which I highly doubt), oh well...o|

#13 ·
Makes me want to open up the back of my LE 417 Edition... I'd be VERY upset if what resided inside was anything similar to what the original post showed in the 318!!

I tend to think someone swapped the Pam movement for a base movement. I do not know. I may have to pull the back of mine now and take a peak... hmmm.

#15 ·
Let's assume that Panerai did in fact put a base 6497 movement in the 318, then I'd wonder if the guy in the risti thread was right, in that maybe these will be sought after pieces considering the limited 150 of them in circulation and the, gulp, base 6497 movement inside. It'll be interesting to see what the value of these things will be in near future if any appear in the used market.

#17 ·
I think there was a hint of humor/sarcasm when he mentioned it. It is not a uniquely high finished oddity which can possibly gain in value. If Panerai slapped in 50 low end Chinese/Jap movements solid case back for an Asian L.E. would it also make it more valuable over time - I think not. In the end I think the reaction of the unaware owners and potential admirers says it all.

#16 ·
If indeed this movement was intentionally placed in this watch????? From the "offsite" thread, there seemed to be at least (7) other identical wathces with the same factory movement.

Plain & simple, if this is what OP is willing to do despite the overwhelming customer base & focus on quality, I not only would not buy a PAM without a display case, I also want to look at all of my watches.

#18 ·
Sadly, a perfect example of something I thankfully didn't learn the hard way.

With watches, you simply don't get what you pay for. Depending on the model, yes; sometimes you get more. Other times, less. And that can mean a whole lot less.

Is there any chance at all that the watch that was opened up is simply a really good fake?

#19 · (Edited)
While I do think it is quite disappointing that OP slap an undecorated movement in there. But they did announce that the movement is a "special" caliber that will not be COSC certified. Is it a deal breaker? No, because with luxury watches we never get what we pay for. I am one of 150 owner of a LE Panerai. What more can I ask for?

#22 · (Edited)
^^^If you're happy with what you have than good for you! But I, on the other hand,would be major league pissed-off to find out that my $5,000 watch contained a $50 movement. More than that, I'd be incensed that the company advertised it as using the Caliber OP XXIX.

No one buys a luxury item with expectations of "bang for buck," but one does and should have a right to expect decent quality when he or she pays a premium for a high-end brand. The movement in the 318 isn't just stock, it's a low-end, low-beat engine without so much as Incabloc shock protection. The cheapest Swatch group automatic offering has a better movement.

#26 · (Edited)
Oh my god. i just stumbled on this thread. I would demand a refund or go out on a all out twitter/facebook campaign with other 318 owners.

this is like a rolex buyer opening to find an eta 2824 base movement.

and Panerai has humans inspecting and testing watches, so someone saw all these watches get assembled.

i am in shock.

I have seen shopnbc brands have more decorated movements. there is no denying if any 318 owner saw the movement prior to buying not 1 would have sold for anywhere near retail.

#27 ·
I am still in denial. I'm hoping this is just a hoax, or some sort of black propaganda to a brand that's skyrocketing in popularity in the last decade. I'm reserving my judgement to Panerai until they come out with an official statement, and I hope they do.

#28 · (Edited)
It could have been worse.......a tiny quartz movement stuck to the back of the dial!

For OP to even label the movement with an OP designation is misleading, it is a bog standard, low grade 100% untouched ETA movement. There is no justification for what is inside these 318s. It is bad enough OP would choose to put these movements into their products, worse that they cover it up with some BS XXIX.

What do the Panerai SOPROD non COSC 6497 cost? At least $1000 to Joe public and what is in those 318s? $150 or less for that grade.

318 would be more accurately called a franken Panerai.

Edited to add

$164 with hammered finish and incabloc, 318 is completely unfinished stamped plates with novadiac so therefore should run less than $164 retail.

http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html

#31 ·
How did you find this info?

The last I saw some customers contacted the ny boutique.
Paneristi Public Forum: Panerai NY has already responded
Posted by Paddy on Paneristi this am, from the desk of Sig. Bonati:
Anyone who choses to can have their movement switched out on the 318. This will be done free of charge via the LA and NY boutiques only, but will exclude transportation costs and insurances. Please note the movement currently supplied is not inferior nor implied as such. The change order is purely for those who wish to take advantage of this option and offer. Paneristi Public Forum: Official update on the 318 from the desk of Sig. Bonati............

#45 ·
So I guess here is what I get from all of this:
Panerai introduced a limited edition watch with a Incabloc shock protection, well know it has come out that the movement put in the watch looks to be a Asian (faux Swiss) movement in it without Incabloc shock protection.

Now they are offering the correct movement that was already suppose to be installed but they want you to pay shipping to fix this?? Now understand this is the movement that was already suppose to be in it.

And they don't admit no guilt since the one in it is a decent movement?????

This is straight up a lie know matter how you slice. I don't know if they make you drink a magic potion before you buy one of their watches but to stand by their side and argue this point is actually the moves of a fanatic.

Hell image if a micro brew did this??? Or for that matter isn't that why so many people hate on Invicta??

Maybe Panerai should call up Chris over at LumTec and see if he has any left over parts from the old days.

#58 ·
So I guess here is what I get from all of this:
Panerai introduced a limited edition watch with a Incabloc shock protection, well know it has come out that the movement put in the watch looks to be a Asian (faux Swiss) movement in it without Incabloc shock protection.
Wrong. They never misrepresented the movement in the watch, people made assumptions based on the other Panerai movements - not that this is unreasonable. The movement is not "faux Swiss", it is an undecorated Swiss ETA 6497-1.

Now they are offering the correct movement that was already suppose to be installed but they want you to pay shipping to fix this?? Now understand this is the movement that was already suppose to be in it.
Wrong again. They are offering to replace the movement with a decorated one. The movement that came in these watches is the movement that was SUPPOSED to come in these watches. Whether that was a good or bad decision is up to the individual to determine - I think it was a bad idea, but no one was ever lied to about it. Panerai clearly stated that this watch would be using a different movement that had not been used in any other Panerai watches.

And they don't admit no guilt since the one in it is a decent movement?????

This is straight up a lie know matter how you slice. I don't know if they make you drink a magic potion before you buy one of their watches but to stand by their side and argue this point is actually the moves of a fanatic.
No, not a lie, see above. Don't get me wrong, if I owned a 318, I would be disappointed and I would definitely be taking advantage of the offer to swap out the movement, but absolutely no one was lied to.

Hell image if a micro brew did this??? Or for that matter isn't that why so many people hate on Invicta??

Maybe Panerai should call up Chris over at LumTec and see if he has any left over parts from the old days.
I have no idea what beer has to do with this and people dislike Invicta for myriad reasons.

#49 ·
Considering which company we're talking about, a mistake would be a handful of defective watches slipping by QC. But an entire line of watches? All 150 of them? If so, then OP needs to fire every member of their Quality Control staff; and sue them to get back the money they paid them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.