WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm still in the process of determining what i really want and what my first "real" watch should look like. After pursuing many completly different options and learning a lot from many posts at this forum i reached a question which probably could be solved the best by directly asking the experienced people (You :) ).

So, do You know any watch similar to Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar?

Panomatic01.jpg

I like the purity of the dial and i think this style may resonate with me (and to me it resembles my beloved Apple devices ;) ). But im looking for something cheaper (let's say about 4k USD) and Swiss Made (let's call it my fetish ;) ). And the only brand I know which makes similarily looking watches is Greubel Forsey...
I can also add, that i like thick watches with not too big diameter.

·
Registered
29,241 Posts
Yes the ML is what I would have suggested as well. Very nice watch, not in the same league as GO, but very good nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
20,862 Posts
The A. Lange and Sohne Grand Lange 1 Moonphase.

Reactions: Black5 and iam7head

·
Premium Member
20,862 Posts
That's a beauty! But I need your connections if you're getting that cheaper than the GO. ;-)
Nowhere in the original post did I read anything about cheaper than the GO PML. In general, it's difficult to talk about Glashutte Original without making comparisons with A. Lange and Sohne.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nowhere in the original post did I read anything about cheaper than the GO PML. In general, it's difficult to talk about Glashutte Original without making comparisons with A. Lange and Sohne.
I completely support your recommendation except it is 10 times the OP's proposed budget ceiling of 4k...

·
Premium Member
20,862 Posts
I completely support your recommendation except it is 10 times the OP's proposed budget ceiling of 4k...
I see, I missed the text after the beautiful photo of the GO PML.

·
Registered
306 Posts
FC is a great place to look. OP, if your interest is not just the dial layout but the Glashutte characteristics, your winner will be NOMOS.

Might I suggest if Swiss Made is your interest, maybe your inclination toward the GO design is an indication of an emerging interest in I/SA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Concerning ML and FC i got to like these brands very much and i was considering buying Worldtimer from one of them. But if i stick to GO design option for a while, then it really seems that there is not much choice outside of i/SA (thanks for pointing this out not11bhere). The problem is i'm not into German watches. This is just my personal thing, but besides not being "Swiss Made" (which for some reason is important to me when i buy my first "real" watch) I don't like the text written in German ;) English is nice, French is classy, but not German :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks. Concerning ML and FC i got to like these brands very much and i was considering buying Worldtimer from one of them. But if i stick to GO design option for a while, then it really seems that there is not much choice outside of i/SA (thanks for pointing this out not11bhere). The problem is i'm not into German watches. This is just my personal thing, but besides not being "Swiss Made" (which for some reason is important to me when i buy my first "real" watch) I don't like the text written in German ;) English is nice, French is classy, but not German :)
The great thing about this hobby/illness is everybody has different interests and tastes. With Nomos and FC out, i will defer to those in wus with more diverse knowledge in the price range you are interested in.

What I can add, is that the 1k to 5k range is a difficult price range from the value/dollar perspective. With only a few exceptions, you will not find many 4k watches that offer a 3K difference for the money. In fact, in many 'cases' you will find the same movement with minimal alteration in both the 1k and 5k watches despite the wide price difference...

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
They're substantially over your price limit but I've been trying to figure out an option for you that's Swiss. This Armin Strom is available for $10k:

It's got an off centered dial and a lot going on like the GO.

The other thing I can think of is ML's top tier stuff, like the Mystery Seconds or new Gravity:

I know they're not close options, but with the ones suggested being the most obvious and already rejected, these are what I could think of that haven't been touched on.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I'm really struggling here, but since everyone else is too, I don't feel so dumb suggesting a watch that's not Swiss and without a date, but it is within budget. It's discontinued though, but you never know.....Nicely done off-centre moon phase though :)

Seiko SNR017J1

·
Registered
399 Posts
To be honest with you, you're significantly cutting yourself short by not considering German watches. A. Lange & Sohn, Glashutte Original, and Nomos, are all examples of very fine watchmaking. You're really doing yourself a disservice.

That being said, Maurice Lacroix, Longines, Oris, and Tissot all have plenty of very nice models in your price range.

What would I do if I just absolutely couldn't buy a German watch? I'd get an Omega Speedmaster, which everyone collection needs.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
What about the jazzmaster?

Quite affordable :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts