WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my son sent me a text yesterday telling me a package had arrived. He wanted to know if he should open it and tell me what it was. Now I'm not that naive, but that's how he put it and I let him get away with it. LOL He was expecting that a new watch had arrived, and I'm sure he was curious to see it. I knew it wasn't because I don't generally order watches and have them sent home. I told him he could open the box.

Well, what was inside was in fact watch-related. Turns out one of my colleagues sent me a set of books about watches to thank me for my help in closing his first huge deal. One is called Total Rolex (DPSONLINE - PAGEFLIP) and the other is called Collecting Nautilus and Modern Patek Philippe Watches (DPSONLINE - PAGEFLIP).

I can't wait to get home and look at them. (I may even read them. <winks>) My son says they feel expensive, the photos are outstanding, and the books look nice on the coffee table. Okay....I'll take his word for that. LOL In the meantime, I've got to write a thank you note.

If any of you have these books, do share...what are they like?

All the best.

One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
― George W. Bush

Reactions: dbostedo

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm sorry, but page 17, which describes the introduction of the Nautilus in 1976, says "a new generation of sporty and dynamic men was emerging, men who desired a watch to be worn on any occasion, to be worn in the office, while sailing, on a ski run, or while jogging in Central Park at 6 o'clock in the morning . . ."

Jogging in Central Park at 6 o'clock in the morning - wearing a Patek!! In 1976!!! :think:

Reactions: kittyfoots

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations! Read them in good health!
Thank you.

It remains to be seen whether I read them, let them be coffee table books, or treat them as reference books. Just based on the previews and my son's comments, I'm thinking the PP one will be good bathroom reading material. If I get the "Rolex bug" as I move into vintage collecting, the Rolex one will quite likely get torn apart when I take selected pages on trips to check out various watches.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You're right, they must be talking about the Royal Oak! ;)

I'm sorry, but page 17, which describes the introduction of the Nautilus in 1976, says "a new generation of sporty and dynamic men was emerging, men who desired a watch to be worn on any occasion, to be worn in the office, while sailing, on a ski run, or while jogging in Central Park at 6 o'clock in the morning . . ."

Jogging in Central Park at 6 o'clock in the morning - wearing a Patek!! In 1976!!! :think:

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tony, put your phone's camera to use and leave the book unharmed. I've used my iPhone to document more whiteboards than I care to admit, lol.
Good suggestion, but I don't take photos of anything.

All the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts