WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
While I love the idea of a 36mm small seconds Marine, something about the scale of the watch doesn't strike me as right. Maybe it's because my eyes are used to those elements on larger dials, but the numbers seem too pushed together, and the scale of the crown to the smaller case seems not ideal. For some watches (like the Rolex Explorer) the original smaller size doesn't scale up well to a larger size, in my opinion. For this one, though, the reverse seems to be true--the original larger size doesn't scale down well. It's still a really nice watch, but not the look I hoped for years back when I vowed I'd flip my 40mm MA for a 36mm if one were ever produced. Future iterations might change my mind, but looking at it now...I'm happy to keep my MA. Looking forward to seeing wrist shots from new owners and reading your reviews!
Interesting to hear this perspective as I fall on the other side of this. With my small wrist, I am used to the tighter space on small dials (my SKX013 work watch has a 27-28mm dial with relatively large indices). As a person who typically wears dark dials, I have always been intimidated by the amount of negative space on the white Marine, even on the 36mm. Seeing a few different pictures of this new model (including the Seoul limited edition), I am finally on board with the use of space on the dial. I'm sure if I had bigger wrists my preference would be different, but coming from mostly 34-38mm watches, this suites my taste perfectly. This is one of the reasons I love how many variations Stowa offers on their models.

I'm waiting to hear from Sarah if I can get this model with a brushed case. Once I get it in, I will be sure to put up a bunch of photos from different perspectives and lighting.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I can't even imagine how goofy a 36" diameter watch would look on my wrist.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting to hear this perspective as I fall on the other side of this. With my small wrist, I am used to the tighter space on small dials (my SKX013 work watch has a 27-28mm dial with relatively large indices). As a person who typically wears dark dials, I have always been intimidated by the amount of negative space on the white Marine, even on the 36mm. Seeing a few different pictures of this new model (including the Seoul limited edition), I am finally on board with the use of space on the dial. I'm sure if I had bigger wrists my preference would be different, but coming from mostly 34-38mm watches, this suites my taste perfectly. This is one of the reasons I love how many variations Stowa offers on their models.

I'm waiting to hear from Sarah if I can get this model with a brushed case. Once I get it in, I will be sure to put up a bunch of photos from different perspectives and lighting.
Could you let us know if a brushed case is possible and the price on that. Would be very much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
Could you let us know if a brushed case is possible and the price on that. Would be very much appreciated
I’ll report back here when they get back to me. Should know on Monday and I will update the price if the brushed changes it.

Edit: Didn't hear back today (Monday). I'll reach out to Sarah tomorrow and see if she has an update.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Heard back from Sarah:

“I did just receive the feedback, unfortunately, this model cannot be offered with a matt case. We can however, offer you the Marine Klassik 36 with the ETA movement with a brushed case.”

I’m still going with the new 36mm small seconds anyway. That was the only one I was considering.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Heard back from Sarah:

“I did just receive the feedback, unfortunately, this model cannot be offered with a matt case. We can however, offer you the Marine Klassik 36 with the ETA movement with a brushed case.”

I’m still going with the new 36mm small seconds anyway. That was the only one I was considering.

Thanks for getting back to us. Like you, the 36 small seconds is the only Marine I’m considering. I would love to see it in the flesh before pulling the trigger but that’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
While I love the idea of a 36mm small seconds Marine, something about the scale of the watch doesn't strike me as right. Maybe it's because my eyes are used to those elements on larger dials, but the numbers seem too pushed together, and the scale of the crown to the smaller case seems not ideal. For some watches (like the Rolex Explorer) the original smaller size doesn't scale up well to a larger size, in my opinion. For this one, though, the reverse seems to be true--the original larger size doesn't scale down well. It's still a really nice watch, but not the look I hoped for years back when I vowed I'd flip my 40mm MA for a 36mm if one were ever produced. Future iterations might change my mind, but looking at it now...I'm happy to keep my MA. Looking forward to seeing wrist shots from new owners and reading your reviews!
I really like the dial but I agree about the crown - I notice it every time I see a photo.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeah I know...but it's not the norm now. And I have a 7.25" wrist...so there's that.
I do too. People didn’t have large wrists in the past?
It’s a recent trend that is tiny compared to the timeline watches have existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: LosAngelesTimer

·
Registered
411 Posts
I do too. People didn’t have large wrists in the past?
It’s a recent trend that is tiny compared to the timeline watches have existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So by today's standards, it would look odd

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
So by today's standards, it would look odd
A 36mm?
Maybe among the WIS crowd. Maybe not among others.
To me having a watch the size of a hockey puck looks odd, but that’s just my opinion.

It’s similar to smartphones perhaps. The trend seems to be tablet sized phones. I don’t like anything over 6”. The good thing is there is choice, both in the watch and smartphone markets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: robi1138

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the 36 small seconds looks great! I hope that they take the next logical step and make a Flieger 36 small seconds next. I would buy that in a heartbeat

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
It's definitely a smaller watch but I have two watches in this same case and they wear great on my 7 inch wrist, especially on mesh so there is a little more substance there. But the big dial and narrow bezel make these wear larger than you might think...I have the Antea rose gold dial and also the B2b silver dial and both are stunners.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I'm hoping Stowa will consider offering this version with silver dial.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Marine 36 small seconds is now listed on STOWA’s website, so no need to order via email. When I inquired over email, they gave me the option of having a black, light grey or dark grey leather strap. The website only shows a black option but it’s worth asking if you prefer grey (I preferred the black).

Here’s the link:
https://www.stowa.de/en/Marine+36+classic+handwound.htm

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
That page description is all over the place... looks a bit sloppy. But that watch, now that's a lovely watch. Definitely in my shortlist for the near future.

Also, they named it Marine 36 Small Seconds, without any reference to it being the Arabic version. Maybe the Roman version isn't coming?

Reactions: middlepath

·
Registered
126 Posts
That page description is all over the place... looks a bit sloppy. But that watch, now that's a lovely watch. Definitely in my shortlist for the near future.

Also, they named it Marine 36 Small Seconds, without any reference to it being the Arabic version. Maybe the Roman version isn't coming?
I agree, the webpage is a tad sloppy. They probably threw it together without fully editing it. I initially noticed that they first state it’s a hand wound 7001 in the description but in the specs it’s listed as a 2824-2 automatic. I’m nit picky I guess.

In the Marine Original small seconds, they do differentiate between Arabic and Roman. Maybe the 36 is only in Arabic.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I didn’t think it was going to be up that fast on the site. I guess I could have just waited as I completed my order via email yesterday. Now for the hard part...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The editing on the page could definitely use some work. I noticed they have automatic thickness and handwound thickness, where it will only be a handwound.

One question I have is, do you think the 10.5mm thickness is correct? One of the benefits of the ETA 7001 is that it is super thin (the Antea KS is under 7mm thick). I guess if they are just reusing the case and caseback it would make sense, but I was hoping they would be able to make it a touch thinner with the 7001 movement

41 - 60 of 156 Posts