WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I finally managed to get a nice condition Hamilton Electronic watch that has both a early ESA Dynotron movement (9154) and a stainless steel case

I have several of the later Dynotron 9158 watches but not a early one and all my ESA Dynotrons are in gold plated cases.

It looks pretty clean and has a screw down caseback

Once I get it(hopefully Friday or Sat) I will take my own pics but for now, here is some of the seller's

If the expansion band fits me well then I am going to leave it on because it looks period and because it is a fitted(18mm) band and it is a steel case, it will not gauge the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Nice. Was watching that one, but had recently wiped out the budget on another purchase.

Can't decide between saving and splurging on a Dynotron or cheaping out on a Timex Electronic or Dynabeat.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Was watching that one, but had recently wiped out the budget on another purchase.

Can't decide between saving and splurging on a Dynotron or cheaping out on a Timex Electronic or Dynabeat.
Nothing wrong with a Timex Electronic or Dynabeat. I have had several and all have come back to life with just a new battery and a slap.

I wanted a Dynotron in a stainless steel case

There is a few Electronic options besides the Dynotron

1. Citizen Cosmotron
2. Seiko EL / ELNIX
3. Stellaris/ LeGant

Stellaris and LeGant were department store brands that were sold with electronic, automatic and manual wind movements

The electronic movements in these watches were ether Seiko Electronic movements( if it has the crown at 2 oclock) or a Dynotron

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Those three are all on the radar, including the Caravelles with the rebranded Citizen movement.

If I got a Stellaris electronic, I'd try for the ones with the Dynotron inside and the removable caseback. My understanding is the ones with a Seiko movement need a crystal puller to do anything past change the battery.

After everyone's advice after wearing out my Landeron, though, the more thrifty Timex ones have a certain appeal. That or I need to convince Mrs. odd_and_vintage_fan to up my hobby budget. Still, I'm early in the collecting hobby and have to remind myself that the "museum piece" box is healthy and there are a lot of years left to collect.

Just a lovely simplicity to the 9154 movement. Everything visible with plenty of space between where you need to put a tool to change the battery or adjust timekeeping and anything that can get damaged by a slip of said tool.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's a beautiful watch? Are the batteries hard to come by on those electrics?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

From what I've read and seen in the few I own, most of them have a modern equivalent, with the occasional nylon spacer needed to prevent electrical shorts. Only a few early Accutrons have issues with the voltage difference between the modern battery and the original version.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Last night I finally managed to get a nice condition Hamilton Electronic watch that has both a early ESA Dynotron movement (9154) and a stainless steel case

I have several of the later Dynotron 9158 watches but not a early one and all my ESA Dynotrons are in gold plated cases.

It looks pretty clean and has a screw down caseback

Once I get it(hopefully Friday or Sat) I will take my own pics but for now, here is some of the seller's

If the expansion band fits me well then I am going to leave it on because it looks period and because it is a fitted(18mm) band and it is a steel case, it will not gauge the case.
She's a beaut!

Caravelles with the rebranded Citizen movement.
Caravelle's also came with the ESA movements.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Caravelle.JPG

There's the Caravelle "Transistorized" models. This one above I've owned for years, and used to be a nice runner until a battery latch screw head broke. I've been trying various fixes and they haven't quite worked out. One of these days I'll acquire the correct replacement screw and see if it'll run consistently again.

Eric

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've been toying with buying a Dynabeat or electronic watch. I came across one a 1.5 years ago at an estate sale. It did not work, but I installed a new battery and off she went. I could hear it ticking from across the house! I sold it to cobble together funds for another watch, but kind of wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

No not really. If I recall on my gold plated Hamilton Dynotron that I currently have, the battery that came in it was a dead Mercury 343 and the replacement was an easy to find 344 that you can get at any battery house. My local batteries Plus has every battery I might need for a watch. and the cost about $2.50

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice. Those three are all on the radar, including the Caravelles with the rebranded Citizen movement.

If I got a Stellaris electronic, I'd try for the ones with the Dynotron inside and the removable caseback. My understanding is the ones with a Seiko movement need a crystal puller to do anything past change the battery.

After everyone's advice after wearing out my Landeron, though, the more thrifty Timex ones have a certain appeal. That or I need to convince Mrs. odd_and_vintage_fan to up my hobby budget. Still, I'm early in the collecting hobby and have to remind myself that the "museum piece" box is healthy and there are a lot of years left to collect.

Just a lovely simplicity to the 9154 movement. Everything visible with plenty of space between where you need to put a tool to change the battery or adjust timekeeping and anything that can get damaged by a slip of said tool.

I have a couple of Seiko movement Stellaris that had a battery hatch but also the caseback could be removed (however i needed a crystal press to pop it back on). I have also had couple of Dynotron ones that had the battery hatch on back and you had to remove the crystal to access the movement

A timex Electronic is a great watch to buy if you want an electronic movement for cheap, they are good movements that will run forever. The dynobeats are even better as I love the way they tick(ticka ticka ticka really fast)

As for money spent, wait until you get seduced by the allure of the Accutron (that smooth second hand and hum...) then your wallet will cry...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
As for money spent, wait until you get seduced by the allure of the Accutron (that smooth second hand and hum...) then your wallet will cry...
:) My first battery-powered non-quartz watch. Saved every penny to get it running while the kids were still flying through formula and diapers. Three years later it's still humming along beautifully.

DSC02688_smaller.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts