WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure off the bat, I am not an expert on watches, let alone movements.

I have a watch that uses the Soprod A10 as its movement and so far i have had two issues with it freezing up within a year and a half. The first time was my fault, it slipped out of my hand from three feet up. I softened the blows by bringing it down off of my foot (tried to cradle it on the way down), but the movement still stopped. When it was serviced that said it was "likely a crossed hairspring."

The second time was completely different. About 10 months after its repair, it just stopped without trauma or incident. I manually wound it, it went for 20 seconds then stopped.

Does anyone else have experience with this movement? Is it possible that I have irreparably compromised it from my first drop? Also, does anyone know of a decent place in Pittsburgh to have it serviced?

I want to be clear that I am not blaming Soprod or at all besmirching it, I just want to know if I damaged it or if it is a particularly sensitive movement.

Thanks for any help folks.

·
Premium Member
9,185 Posts
I have the same movement in my Steinhart Ocean 2, that's I've had in the ocean several times with lots of swimming and body surfing... so it doesn't seem particularly fragile to me (with my sample of 1). But between the 2 of us, I guess we have 1 good and 1 bad... so probably doesn't tell you much either.

The A10 is a copy of the ETA 2892-A2, which has a very good reputation. Some more info here :

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/soprod-a10-375340.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/why-soprod-a10-considered-better-movement-2679010.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/soprod-a10-movements-experience-pricing-info-551701.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-2824-2-top-vs-soprod-a10-953189.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
My watch has the same movement, and the exact same thing happened. I shake (not wind), it ran for 20 seconds, and died. As it's still under warranty, I had it serviced. Been on my wrist for a month now with no issues so far (well, +10s a day as shipping might have magnetized it). No feedback from service, so I'm not sure what the issue was. I'm guessing there is a small batch of faulty Soprods out there in the wild.

·
Premium Member
9,282 Posts

·
Premium Member
74,310 Posts
I have a couple of A10s and have had no trouble with them but there seem to be a fair number of members here who have so I don't really know what to think. The general consensus seems to be that it's a good movement so perhaps it's just bad luck.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have an A10 in my Steinhart Ocean Blue. No problems, but, since it is unregulated coming out of Steinhart, it's about 20+ seconds too slow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input folks. I read the links, but as was stated in this thread, the responses seemed to be mixed.

I'll send it in for service and see how things go.

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
I try to stay with ETA movements if possible. Even if Soprod and Sellita movements run equally good as ETA, I think I still get a bit more sentimental values from ETA with its root and history in watch making.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,185 Posts
I try to stay with ETA movements if possible. Even if Soprod and Sellita movements run equally good as ETA, I think I still get a bit more sentimental values from ETA with its root and history in watch making.

That's an interesting point... does it matter to you if the movement was made by Sellita for ETA? (I don't know if there's any way to know which those are though...)

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
That's an interesting point... does it matter to you if the movement was made by Sellita for ETA? (I don't know if there's any way to know which those are though...)
My first automatic watch has an ETA movement, my other automatic watch has an ETA movement, my newest automatic watch also has an ETA movement.

I don't really care about who makes the movement for ETA (if any), it's OK by me as long as the movements are Swiss made using the original ETA design and have genuine parts.

I've heard that Soprod and Sellita movements sharing some parts with ETA movements, but I don't know whether the design is the same. So I thing I'd better stick with the old ETA movements. At least my local watchmaker can fix and find replacement parts for it in case of problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Slade I have the same movement in my Steinhart OT 500, and its stopped twice too. Just randomly, and I give it a little tap and it starts up again. It never really concerned me as I don't wear it often. In hindsight I wish I would have sent it back as Steinhart is now using the Top grade 2892 motor in that watch. Maybe they would have swapped it for me?? I should have followed through on that. It's probably beyond the warranty period now. Or it isn't. Now you got me thinking ....... Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
.... sharing some parts with ETA movements, but I don't know whether the design is the same. ...
Wouldn't it be prudent to research just a little bit further before forming opinions? ;-) What the hell did you spend your 13k posts on?? :)

... So I thing I'd better stick with the old ETA movements. At least my local watchmaker can fix and find replacement parts for it in case of problem.
A local watchmaker can source replacement parts for a myriad of movements, ETA not necessarily being the easiest one, especially now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts