WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You try and do a couple of members a good turn..........and you find yourself partly responsible for a new member loosing out.

I was too late to post a response to the second of the loniks below, and I REALLY had to bit my "typing" lip and sit on my hands, as I was about to boil over on the sales forum thread here....
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=319642

Oh so it's "been withdrawn for now":roll::roll:......so it might, perhaps, could , possibly, may, perchance, nay......a slight chance of it, being up for sale in the near future?

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=319596

Sorry ttshinykit, please don't listen to me in future. SnapIT has it spot on, trust your AD and leave the "I might sell it if I get what I want, I've just bought it and I don't like it but ..hey...it's now growing on me so I'll withdraw it" brigade alone.

I'm as disappointed as you my friend and at least twice as angry with both the pseudo vendor and myself for the outcome here.

Yes one has the right to withdraw a sale, but after posting all those mouthwatering pictures?????

Come On....:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart SIR.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Somebody close this. Shame Findo can't post a thread in peace without people taking stabs at each other.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,032 Posts
No, I'm going to leave it Broker. Time some of our members start to own their crap.

We are talking real money here. You made it, you can loose it too. If you think my attitude is conservative when I recommend talking to your AD first, I've nothing to fear. In fact it is the surest of bets. The reason, ADs have vested interest in providing commercial satisfaction to their customers. Its the law. Contract law. And has remedy at law, unlike the current situation under the discussion in this thread.

Findo old mate, sorry to hear this sorry tale.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
I do not understand why (unless they are offensive) threads need to be closed (so why is Gav saying this in his OP I wonder......).

We are in a watch forum, discussing watches and posts within this forum.

That is, and always has been my only problem with the use of "rule 1", it is a blanket.

Specifically on Gav's post (unless I misconstrued) Gav is upset about a recommendation for a sale that fell through (understandable), not his sale or purchase, just frustration.

Todd, I really do not understand what your post is alluding to. I have read it three times now over the last hour. I still do not understand it, please explain.

If I have offended any forum member please let me know via PM rather than 'washing in public'. I really try to help new member with info as indeed I was helped in my new days.

I'm sort of here for the watches.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Findo, I certainly don't hold anyone remotely responsible for me losing a 100 quid and losing out on the BB. The nod was very welcome, beautiful watch and Mac/Neil/Orange Peel's feedback on all previous trades was perfect.

It all checked out fine and after several PM's we decided on a price and I started moving funds around. As soon as the pics came through I PM-d to confirm bank details, all this whilst in a queue at a Halloween Park on my Iphone! 10 seconds after I sent my message i got one back to say that it was withdrawn as his wife didn't want him to sell it.

Disappointed, yes definitely but I hold no grudge here, would only say that people should not be offering things for sale if they don't want to sell them, it's just not cricket. <|

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Own ends? I beg your pardon?

Please explain "shmoozing around the back door" my Yiddish is not up to much even after 20 years on Religion School, I do not understand.

Sorry Todd/SnapIT are you getting political rather than Breitling with me? I do not understand what you are trying to say.

I understand that I am being told to 'shut up' but I am really not sure why.

Todd, within this thread asked a question....

I, within this thread answered....

Sorry Gav if Tod's/SnapIT's/My posts have 'hijacked' your OP.

Well, now you have hijacked this thread for your own ends, AlanM.
How about you kick back and let the OP sort out the situation in hand and you stop shmoozing around the back door. If you have issues start your own thread.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To explain the "Close" the thread comment.

I was not trying to be flippant. I was going to post my OP in response to what had happened to TT, but I noticed the thread had been closed. Obviously when I posted my OP as a new thread, I natually thought it would be closed if it appeared that I was trying to "re-kindle" a thread that one of our moderators had closed.

I have to say SnapIT that your advice and point of view is spot on. You will not have a problem, as a UK resident (or anywhere else) by buying from an AD within the UK. However, there are trustworthy people who sell on the internet who will give you good service. To put it into car sales. My Volvo, I bought second hand from an authorised Volvo dealer. Car has been fine with no great issues. My Mercedes I bought from a car auction. Again the car has been fine with no great issues. Likewise with watches, I agree with SnapIT up to a point, but there are times when you can buy second hand from either a watch forum or elsewhere and get a genuine watch without any hassle from trustworthy people. In saying that there are obviously many more that aren't as trustworthy, and some who are out to catch the unaware. As I said to TT buy the seller first.

AlanM is right. I was very annoyed, and slightly embarrassed, that I had suggested to a fellow member, and in particular a new member, a course of action that should have allowed hin to buy from another member. Hence helping both to achieve their respective goals. Al, I am certainly not offended.

TT says that when his deal was just about to close he was told by the seller that his wife didn't want him to sell it. Come on, does the guy have the independence and the ability to make his own decisions or was divorce really on the cards if he sold. Sorry he was about to have £3200 doffed into his bank account, AND HIS WIFE TOLD HIM NOT TO???? Sorry you can buy a lot of shoes with £3200. No, this was a sale that had not been thought through and when a genuine buyer can along the rug was pulled leaving the prospective buyer down on a deal that didn't even take place. It's the classic time waster situation in reverse. It's bad business, morally wrong and down right rude. What an advert for a forum for a new member.

I have seen it elsewhere, when a seller has a watch for sale for months, and when the genuinely interested buyer came along the watch went up by £1000. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT. You are either selling at the stated price or you are timewasting and possibly costing someone money with nothing to show for it.

I don't know what all the "Rule 1" chat is about so I'll leave you guys to sort that one out, and feel free to continue on this thread.

As some of you will realise, I don't post as often as some, as I think that one should only post if you have something worth saying. I know that sometimes I get on my soapbox and might sound a bit controversial. However, I hold WUS and this Breitling forum as the pinacle of Breitling forums, and hate to see members especially new ones duped. I read recently on another popular Breitling forum that "it was the best". I'm sorry but I beg to differ. I have also witnessed and been victim of some pretty harsh posting elsewhere, in particular when I tried to sell a watch. In fact the only time I withdrew a watch from a sale was when one or two smart a**es thought they new the market better than I and practically told me what my price should have been. Suffice to say I sold the watch two days later on another forum for 50 quid less than I was asking and not the £500 I was being advised to drop. When I posted as to where the "Mods" were to control the baying pack, Iwas told the only mods around wore parkas. 'Nuf said.

TT I am sorry your sale did not go through and am even more embarrassed that you lost money over it. I find that the phrase "aplologies for any inconvenience" so hollow. His signature states "If you won't leave me alone, I'll find someone who will ". No worries.....leaving well alone.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Hey guys,

Another newbie here and I just want to let all of you know that this thread has been very helpful in ensuring that when I buy my first B, that I do it through an AD. And to me that's the whole point of these forums.

Fortunately and unfortunately there is so much awesome info on this site that I can spend hours enjoying it and still not find all the right answers to questions like this. Sometimes it just takes a different approach to the message. In this case, Findo, you said it the way I needed to hear it so Thanks!

Even I get frustrated about repeats and I'm a newbie (I pretty sure I can ID most SA fakes at this point ;-)) So Snap it I understand your frustration, but I also greatly respect your opinion.

So that said, all of you please keep up the good work, we newbies need it... we're like magpies pecking at shiny bits when we start:)

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
13,392 Posts
I do not understand why (unless they are offensive) threads need to be closed (so why is Gav saying this in his OP I wonder......).

We are in a watch forum, discussing watches and posts within this forum.

That is, and always has been my only problem with the use of "rule 1", it is a blanket.

Specifically on Gav's post (unless I misconstrued) Gav is upset about a recommendation for a sale that fell through (understandable), not his sale or purchase, just frustration.

Todd, I really do not understand what your post is alluding to. I have read it three times now over the last hour. I still do not understand it, please explain.

If I have offended any forum member please let me know via PM rather than 'washing in public'. I really try to help new member with info as indeed I was helped in my new days.

I'm sort of here for the watches.....
And on that note I WILL close this thread. The OP's subject has been ridden long enough and thoroughly addressed. What we will not address any further is the back and forth sniping which from my perspective is baiting the mods. If you want to PM other members and moderators to your heart's content regarding issues you feel are problematic or not, have at it. If other members or moderators choose to answer or ignore your PM's that's their prerogative. Bottom line, any threads which become argumentative or controversial in any antagonistic manner, no matter how trite or minor will be closed at moderator disgression. Posts deemed to be inciting controversy will be edited or deleted. The mods are not here to justify their position or moderating practices, they are here to exercise reasonable moderation which I believe the vast majority of our membership recognizes and understands.
Best,
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.