WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the end of 2011 I had exactly ONE watch... my Oris XXL Pointer Day given to me by my wife on our wedding day. In December that watch was stolen from a locker at the neighborhood gym. I quickly learned that replacing that watch was next to impossible. The problem with me... is my father taught me that the best revenge in life is doing well... so I was determined to not only replace the watch but exceed it exponentially. I took my own cash, the insurance settlement check, and WUS... and I got to work.

And so my journey began, to understand exactly what I'd lost, and drop deeper and deeper into the wonder of the watch world...

When I first started I really didn't know what I liked and what I didn't. The crazy thing is, until you know what you want, you don't know if you really like a watch until you've worn it a few days. That has left me with a few pieces I like but don't love, and a few that I had to get rid of.

I will be adding more to this thread over the next couple days to talk about what I like about each piece... how I feel about them now... why I let certain watches go... etc etc... but for now I'll simply list what I have/had and lots of pictures.

First the watches I had... but have let go:

VSA Ambassador XL Chrono: Truth be told, this was a beautiful watch. But I never seemed to want to wear it.. so it just sat there in my watch box collecting dust. Meanwhile I friend/co-worker of mine absolutely loved the watch... so I sold it to him. In retrospect, the undecorated movement, the flat crystal, and the overall chunkiness of the watch didn't work for me.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Seiko SGEE89P1: This watch was a killer watch for the price... I'm just not into simple Quartz. To me if I'm going to go quartz I want tons of functions/features.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Casio Edifice EQS500DB: This was a great watch, and I was able to get it from frequent flyer miles. But when I picked up my Ball EMII Diver Worldtime it became redundant. So I decided to give it away at a Baltimore/Washington WUS GTG. It felt like the right thing to do, and I think it made the whole experience of the GTG and the Ball purchase a little more... special.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

And now on to my current collection...

My favorite 4:
Bremont Alt1-Z: This is my newest and most prized timepiece currently. There's really something special about the way Bremont puts their watches together. The sheen of the hardened steel, the rugged feel of the case, the crispness of the dial. It's really amazing how they manage to make the dial impeccably readable with slight alterations in color scheme. As you can see the Long strap just BARELY fits... so I'm in the process of trying to come up with the perfect strap solution. You guys can expect a post collecting your opinions on the different options in the coming weeks.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Green Black Darkness Light Text Strap Fashion accessory Buckle Belt Wrist Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Dievas Focal: The Focal is my go-to Jeans and T-shirt watch. Despite being an affordable $1300, to me, this feels like a MUCH more expensive piece. It is rugged, mixed with beautiful simplicity. Paired with the custom Ostrich strap with yellow stitching by K-straps I get more comments on this piece than any other. The only thing missing here is a GMT hand... If Dievas ever produced a Focal GMT I'd be all over that.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Ball Engineer Master II Diver Worldtime: I travel the globe on a pretty regular basis covering 160K flight miles in 2011, and 17 countries in the last two years. Worldtime watches feel special to me... they are a warm companion on the road and a piece of home at a glance. At first glance this watch seems SO busy.. but the hidden beauty of this watch is how Ball has brilliantly laid out the dial in 4 layers... so that when gazing at the watch it doesn't feel busy.. it feels... deep, rich and full of character. The dial also feels so alive with the rotating 24 hour day/night wheel. The tritium tubes are laid out in such a way that as it gets dark, and the light of the tubes becomes visible, the watch absolutely transforms into a completely different beast.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Black Darkness Green Light Sky Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Oris Artelier Pointer Day: This was the watch my wife bought me to replace the XXL Pointer Day that was stolen. I've really grown to love it, and it has become my go-to suit and tie watch. It has a very classy feel with just enough complication to be really interesting. I also LOVE the silky feel of the 5 link bracelet. Oris does an amazing job of delivering some incredible value at their price point.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

The rest... all of which I love.

Steinhart Ocean 2: This has slowly become my beater watch... I've worn it in the Ocean at the beach... I wear it when swimming with the kids. Steinhart has really delivered a watch with quality FAR above the price they sell it for. I just ordered the SS bracelet for it... and I imagine it will get some more wrist time once that arrives.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Steinhart Marine Chronometer 2 Arabic: This watch has really become a sort of like a palate cleanser for my wrist. When I've been wearing one watch for a long time and it's time for a break, inevitably this comes on. Even if only for half a day. The simple clean look always feels so fresh, and I think the Hirsch Knight strap really works perfectly. This watch actually gets quite a bit of wrist time, and the decorated Unitas 6498 Movement is just gorgeous to look at during boring conference calls ;)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Wrist Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Hamilton Khaki Officer Auto
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Orient Ray
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Orient Vintage
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Parnis Power Reserve
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Clock Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

And I have one last watch incoming for 2012... which I pre-ordered before my vow of watch celibacy for the rest of the year:

Lum-Tec M53

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Hope you all enjoy... I know I am. More embellishment of this post in the next few days.

-Max

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Re: SOTC: 2012 My year of the watch

WOW.

#1 Nice
#2 I like the mindset your Father passed on
#3 I hope for bandwidth sake nobody quotes that post
#4 Did I say WOW

·
Registered
5,543 Posts

Nice year - Congrats!

Reactions: Doboji

·
Registered
117 Posts

wow, nice year so far. Many more to go! LOL.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just adding some accuracy numbers as I'm in the process of testing them. Nothing particularly scientific, I simply sync the watches with Atomic time and then "live" with the watches for a few days.

So Far:
Bremont Alt1-Z: Gaining between 1 and 2 seconds a day. Somedays it gains less than 1 second but never more than 2.

Ball Engineer Master II Diver Worldtime: Gaining between 3 and 4 seconds a day. Seems more towards the 4 second end..

Steinhart Marine Chronometer II: Gaining way less than a second a day... In 5 days of testing it gained 2 seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts

I've said it before.... what a phenomenal collection in a very short amount of time! I love it!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts

Very cool. What's next?

Also what size is your wrist? That Bremont is sweet. Too bad the strap isn't longer.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Very cool. What's next?

Also what size is your wrist? That Bremont is sweet. Too bad the strap isn't longer.
I've got my mind on the Baume et Mercier Capeland Flyback Chronograph... and have already started allocating funds in that direction. But there's a lot of time and a lot of watches to see between now and when I can reasonably afford to pick it up. Other watches on my mind... Ball Engineer II GCT, Muhle Glashutte SAR Flieger Chronograph, SINN EZM10, Omega PO 8500, Omega Broadarrow GMT, and there's so many other watches that haven't even been announced yet... I am fond of Steinhart and I know they have a bunch of new stuff coming down the pipe. So we shall see.

Watch Analog watch Photograph Watch accessory Fashion accessory

My wrist is ~9"... unfortunately...

·
Registered
265 Posts

I got 3 watches in a month, and my family thought I am insane.. But they have not known people like you! LOL!
I was thinking.... If it was me, will I save all the cash you splashed on the above watches, to get one premium watch? just wondering...

·
Registered
221 Posts

I must be honest: In my opinion it will be a miracle if you're not selling a few of those in a couple of months time. Not because there are bad watches in there, as there aren't, but because you bought so many in such a few time.

I know my tastes slowly change and as time goes by, I get more picky or more relaxed in lots of details. Don't you? Of my favourite 5 watches a year ago, only 3 still remain in that list and 2 are recent entries.

Don't take this the wrong way. If you're happy, that's all that matters and I'm happy too! But it just doesn't work with me that way.

Cheers

Reactions: akasnowmaaan

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I got 3 watches in a month, and my family thought I am insane.. But they have not known people like you! LOL!
I was thinking.... If it was me, will I save all the cash you splashed on the above watches, to get one premium watch? just wondering...
I have a hard time finding a single watch that I would give up my collection for. Especially not my favorite 4... But to each their own.

I have seen some amazing watches... A Lange, PP, etc... but those just aren't watches that would fit my lifestyle on a daily basis.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I must be honest: In my opinion it will be a miracle if you're not selling a few of those in a couple of months time. Not because there are bad watches in there, as there aren't, but because you bought so many in such a few time.

I know my tastes slowly change and as time goes by, I get more picky or more relaxed in lots of details. Don't you? Of my favourite 5 watches a year ago, only 3 still remain in that list and 2 are recent entries.

Don't take this the wrong way. If you're happy, that's all that matters and I'm happy too! But it just doesn't work with me that way.

Cheers
You're not wrong... The details I'm looking for has evolved drastically in the last 7 months. To the point where there are several watches I could part with right now. I also feel like I'm now able to better differentiate "regular watches"... and watches that I feel are "special" to me.

I don't have any regrets... if I hadn't taken the shotgun approach I did, I wouldn't have been able to figure out what I truly like...

Reactions: Hutter

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Great post and great collection - nice variety. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
604 Posts

Interesting collection and love the story! I was considering buying the Steinhart for my brother on his bday, after reading your post might just get it, thanks.
I can totally relate to the not knowing if I love the watch until I've worn it a couple of days in a row.

The flyback chrono looks drool worthy!!

·
Registered
959 Posts

Great collection with some very nice watches. By far my favorite is the Bremont- man they make a cool watch! Congratulations :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Just two quick questions, purely out of curiosity mind you...

What gym do you frequent?

Oh, and per chance, what's your locker combo?

Well done Max, I feel like you and I are racing to some sort of terrible watch record, haha!

Dan

Reactions: drickster
1 - 20 of 25 Posts