WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My assortment of watches (not a true collection in the strict sense of the word) has paused, so this gives me an opportunity for a SOTC thread I've been meaning to do for a long time. I've managed to narrow it down during the past year to ten watches in the rotation plus five keepsakes. Since 13 out of the 15 are Seikos or Citizens, I guess this is the suitable forum to post.

First a double take on the rotation, taken with different lighting

20180225_091821.jpg

20180225_091729.jpg

and a crappy lume shot

20180225_091927.jpg

Let's start with top row, L to R

First up is my only non-Seiko/Citizen watch and only Swiss made to make the cull. The Philip Watch Caribbean 1000 'vintage'. Its a reissue of a seventies timepiece, at the time manufactured by Jenny watches, featuring a USN diving bezel, a very accurate ETA 2824, sapphire and 100m WR. Won't go much into it more, it served as a dressier option since its a bit blingy with the oyster bracelet.

καρπός1 (2).JPG

Second up, the Grey Ghost, early AGS variant with the 5M43 engine. Its my ...fourth one. I've been hunting for a minty one for quite some time, bought and sold three, finally settled (?) with this one. Hopefully :-d Its my smallest watch in the rotation at just 39mm w/o the crown but it wears surprisingly large. And DAT dial. I place a lot of importance to a well-made dial and unfortunately Seiko hasn't delivered for me with the newer models. But that's OK. There's plenty of beautiful Seikos to choose from the late nineties and the prices haven't skyrocketed just yet.

LQ59nYI.jpg

Third up, on a matching NATO strap, is the SBCW003 Scubamaster. A stunning watch up close, very unique bezel insert color and material, deep blue textured dial with great depth, beautiful one-piece full titanium case and bracelet. Another work of art from 1996.

fJWovAm.jpg

Next to it, the limited edition Scubamaster Pippin Ferreras SBCW007. Commemorating a deep dive w/o an oxygen tank in the Cayman islands back in 1997 this one shares the exact case, bracelet and movement with the 003 but has a beautiful textured dial with the map of the Caribbean and a shimmering silver/black bezel insert. Very flash watch.

qMHrr0R.jpg

Last watch on top row is my Blumo, SBDC003, modded with a double dome sapphire crystal. This one was my first Seiko and IMHO a future classic. Nuclear lume, fabulous case design. Serviced it recently since it had a string of bad luck, but now its ready to serve for quite a few years down the line.

20180205_091011~2.jpg

Moving to bottom row, L to R. First up my Zimbe Shogun. I'm a great fan of the Shogun and decided to trade a 029 for this one the moment it was announced. As I said, I'm a sucker for fine dials plus there wasn't much room for all the black dialed watches I had accumulated already and are next up. Here's a photo of both of them before the 029 made its way to a new loving home.

uImGzQo.jpg

and a single shot of that lovely gradient blue-to-black dial.

2dhYEWe.jpg

Next up the Landmaster Sagarmatha L.E (SBCW027). I've always wanted a green dialed watch and I'm a huge fan of the Landmaster line so this was a no-brainer really. Probably Seiko's most beautiful green dial, second only to the Peacock GS.

vNY5M6F.jpg

jsFYMLI.jpg

Next up, the SBDX007 Landmaster auto. This watch was my 2017 grail, and I sold 12 affordable watches to finance it. Worth every penny.

yDE1KOU.jpg

Phenomenal build quality, the indexes manage to reflect every photon available. Came back from service yesterday to stay.

NEM14uS.jpg

And here's a Citizen. The Citizen actually, AQ1030-57H. Fell in love with that dial the moment I saw it and I was very fortunate to pick one up 2nd hand but as new. Its hard to put to words how good this watch looks ..but it photographs well too :-d

JFCIRjp.jpg

8GqO1Be.jpg

and last but not least, the SBDD003 Marinemaster 200. A huge watch at 47mm but it hides it so very well. PVD diashield titanium, amazing fit and finish, Direct Drive windable kinetic engine. There are a few small watches that frustrate me since I'm unable to wear them since my 18.5cm flat wrist is too large but this here watch is my reward.

HYY0GZa.jpg

kgicjJc.jpg

This concludes the current rotation presentation. There's five more watches that are up for sale but this is not a sales thread; also a couple of vintage Citizens in for service that will probably be listed. I may decide to keep one or two of those but I'm also trying to keep the rotation to a manageable level. I've accumulated watches in the past and wasn't all that happy.

I've shot some videos of those watches and uploaded them on YouTube, you can find them by clicking on my signature.

Thanks for visiting the thread, any questions or photo requests are welcome. :-!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Many of the watches here are not easy to find, extraordinary big kudos to you for the Grey ghost and the Pippin !!!

Love the nato combo on SBCW003 Scubamaster:)

Enjoy your superb collection.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, forgot to add a photo of the older keepsake watches. L to R, my first watch, an East German Ruhla automatic circa 1977, my first Men's watch a Citizen 41-6550 LCD chrono from 1981, a Citizen 3510 from 1991, a Casio W-87H I had during a tour of duty with the army and a Lorus VJ42-X042 that I won in a new year's raffle on 2014.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Brilliant collection,love the stingrays and Pipins.
Took me so long to find perfect examples due to the usual bezel deterioration they are prone to. The green landmaster is beautiful.Thanks for sharing George.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Love the sumo! I miss both my sumos which I had to sell to fund the Marinemaster. A move I don’t regret as it’s a fantastic watch. Both my sumos where the new prospex X dial. I’m currently on the hunt for a blue 003 like yours. Future classic and a watch that punches well above its weight

That citizen AQ is new to me as it’s a brand I know little about however it’s a lovely piece.

What’s your next watch?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love the sumo! I miss both my sumos which I had to sell to fund the Marinemaster. A move I don’t regret as it’s a fantastic watch. Both my sumos where the new prospex X dial. I’m currently on the hunt for a blue 003 like yours. Future classic and a watch that punches well above its weight

That citizen AQ is new to me as it’s a brand I know little about however it’s a lovely piece.

What’s your next watch?
Excellent George . That you done then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I've done a LOT of buying and selling for the past couple of years and I've kinda settled in now. I'm keen on reducing the numbers further more than expanding. After I've sold every watch marked for sale I may look into either another high end Citizen or a Spring Drive GMT. But I'll drop something from this lineup to make room. Can you spot the odd one out?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome collection, some really rare pieces! I have the same Casio too as my first watch, they're great!
Really? Yup I was surprised it made it through, took some beating. I think the stock battery lasted for more than 6-7 years somehow (although the display was really faded). Casio is a good brand.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Thanks! I've done a LOT of buying and selling for the past couple of years and I've kinda settled in now. I'm keen on reducing the numbers further more than expanding. After I've sold every watch marked for sale I may look into either another high end Citizen or a Spring Drive GMT. But I'll drop something from this lineup to make room. Probably the odd one
There's an odd one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Great collection! Thanks for sharing. I really like the SBDX007 and The Citizen, great watches that you don't see very often.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Having another look at this sotc. It's very impressive. As sticky says, there's some heavy hitter's.

How do you keep so many kinetic/ags watches charged? My experience with them has been as good reliable watches. But I found that unless that were consistently fully charged, the capacitor would rapidly degrade.

To take a punt at the odd one out--
-I don't think it's movements or bracelets/straps. It could be size or case colour - the 47mm pvd marinemaster, but maybe not.
-But it's probably not the Citizen, because you like it, and it looks amazing.
-I reckon it's the Philips Watch. Although its similar looking to the others, it's the only Swiss, and non Seiko/citizen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts