WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for checking out my State Of The Collection (SOTC), which is coupled with a request for guidance on where to go from here. I have two questions: what would you suggest I keep and what would you suggest for a next purchase?

My situation is a bit odd, however, and so first let me explain my predicament.

I'm faced with two opposing forces. First, I'm moving overseas in the Fall to take up a two-year research fellowship. Yay, new job! But I'll be travelling light, and so I'm looking to downsize everything—including my watch box. Second, my father has given me $240 CAD towards the purchase of a new watch to celebrate the new job.

This simultaneous downsizing and purchasing puts me in an odd position vis-à-vis my SOTC. Currently, my watch box has 12 slots, 11 of which are filled. But my travel case has only 4 slots, + 1 on the wrist. Thus, even if I decided not to get rid of any watches, some of them would be going into storage.

Pics of my collection are below.

From left to right, and top to bottom:
Fineat – skeleton on solid link bracelet
Sottomarino – quartz Esploratore hands mod on signed solid-link bracelet
Casio – G-Shock GW-2310FB
Darch – quartz field on Time Factors bund
Vostok – Amphibian 710 with mod bezel on thick mesh
Seiko – SNKK45 with mod hands on modded-to-fit integrated solid link bracelet
franken/mod VCMs – Zuanshi on nato and Shanghai on thick mesh
Adidas (Fossil) – ADH6001 digital
Seiko – SNK809 with mod dial on silicon band
Sottomarino – quartz Pilotare II on signed leather strap

Spare straps/bracelets:

You'll notice that my collection ranges from very-affordable down to ultra-affordable, which is thanks to the collective wisdom of F71! Since graduating with a PhD last summer, I've been working on short contracts and applying for jobs, so money has been as tight as when I was a student...

The low price-point of my collection means that I’m not going to get much if I sold a few pieces to add to the gift money from dad, although that is an option. My most expensive piece was a mere $100 CAD brand new, not including aftermarket mods or straps/bracelets. Having just been married and with an upcoming move, let’s also assume I won’t be kicking in much of my own cash on this purchase.

Budget is $250 CAD to get my first nicer watch and round out the collection. Maybe a little more if I can sell a few watches first.

Here are the two main watches that I’ve been thinking about:
Citizen Eco Drive Corso and Tiger Concept vintage Submariner homage

The Corso appeals to me as a versatile/dress watch because it isn’t too conservative looking, and it offers grab ‘n’ go convenience. 10ATM water resistance, sapphire crystal, 41mm case, 10mm thick, 20mm lugs. PVD version looks cool and is cheaper ($175 CAD), but the stainless steel finish will last longer ($200 CAD). That leaves room in the budget for a nice—or even very nice—leather strap.

The Tiger Concept would make a good dress diver, and it would also satisfy my thirst for a 3-6-9 Explorer dial. I’d want to get the optional sword hands to make it less homagey. 38.5mm case, 20mm lugs, DG2813 auto movement, and sapphire crystal. The water resistance is only guaranteed to 3ATM, but some reports suggest that secondary QC and pressure testing could lead to at least 10ATM. $210 CAD still leaves room for a decent leather strap.

Other options that I like, but are problematic at the moment:

I’ve had my eye on the Beijing Beihai for a long while, but it’s out of my budget at $375 USD. Some Getat PAM homages have good water resistance and are supposed to be a step up in quality from Manbush, Jackson, Triconstore, or Parnis, but he’s also known for long wait times that don’t fit my schedule…

What would you recommend? All comments/advice welcome, and thanks for reading!

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Congrats on the PhD!

...and now that you're all grown up, I'll start on the tough love. I'm making an assumption that you're moving overseas to someplace relatively safe with a quality of life on par with Canada. If that's not the case, adjust accordingly.

I'd suggest that you might want to bring two watches with you--maybe 3 but not half the collection, one being the new purchase. That way you have a 'beater' or a 'spare' for emergencies.

I'm also assuming that you might have a safe place to store stuff back home until you return (parents' home?)

So with no further ado, I'm going to be a little brutal. I love variety, but there is something to be said for better quality. Take advantage of that now. I'm also *hoping* you can get some money out of some of these. They may be too "ultra" affordable to have any value... but might as well try.

- Modded Sotomarino and modded Chinese frankenwatches-- keep in Canada. You have personal time invested in these and probably no resale value.
- Fineat, Darch, Adidas -- sell if you can. These are going to be easily replaced by (much) better stuff.
- Consider selling the Seiko 5's (some value) and the larger Sottomarino (hopefully some value.)
- Beater -- Between the Seiko 5's, the Casio and the Vostok, keep one to take as your backup and consider selling the rest.

There's nothing wrong with the Corso, but if you can build up $300-400 CAD, I think you can start to get into the One Watch I'd Be Happy With territory-- at least until you get back and situated in a permanent location.

I'm less enthusiastic about the Tiger Concept stuff, but I haven't personally handled one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
...and now that you're all grown up, I'll start on the tough love....
Thanks, OverSteer, your comments are helpful! There would be something liberating about liquidating the majority of my little collection. Your approach, however, would lead to a different question: what is "One Watch To Be Happy With" for the next two years?

You've noted the variety in my box; one of my goals since beginning my WIS journey has been just to try a bunch of different styles to see what I like. What I've discovered is that I don't like a lot of complications, but that I do like variety ;-)

The blue Seiko "Nautilus," Vostok, and G-Shock, are probably my most worn pieces at this point, although I did wear a cheap PAM homage to death, which is why that slot is open. These three form the heart of my collection: 3 essentials (dress, everyday, and tool). I realize the Seiko isn't a true dress watch, but it's functional relative the level of formality in my social and work situations. It would be impressive if I could find one watch that would cover all these roles, but "Three Watches To Be Happy With" is probably more likely.

The question remains as to what my next purchase will be? If I did manage to sell a bunch of down-market watches, the budget could be stretched, but you're right that many of my pieces won't add much to the pot...

To answer your other questions, I'm moving to Ireland, so yes it will be "relatively safe with a quality of life on par with Canada." I should also be able to securely store some of my things with friends and family, although I'm looking to downsize as much as possible...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think looking for a quality all arounder is a great choice.

The Corso is not a bad choice at all, not my preferred style of watch, but I think it will work great for what you are looking at. I would avoid the pvd version, as it takes away from the all around factor that the watch has going for it.

To go along with the Tiger, people seem to be happy with the Corgeut and Tisell watches, but not sure I would call these quality watches. Ticino also makes a similar watch to the Tiger you posted, again, not sure if I would call it quality.

Your price gets you close to Bernhardt prices.

Others to consider is Scurfa (maybe too sporty)

Citizen Excalibur (again, maybe slightly sporty)
Citizen CA0331 grey or blue/black dial (if still available)
Citizen Nighthawk (slightly busy/sporty)

Orient Mako/Ray 1, 2, or USA
Orient Flight

Bulova Snorkel, several colors are in your range, but bright colors may not be great all arounders.

Seiko SRP701 or 703
Seiko SKX007 (how can you not suggest this)
Seiko SNZF or SNZH diver

Felt like I just suggested mostly popular WIS affordables, but I think they could work for you. There are others, but I'm struggling to think of some when I should be working.

Edit:
Another, Hamilton Khaki Field Quartz

Someone posted these in the bargains thread. Not sure how legit the seller is however.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272275058740
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272275058679

Another Bulova Military
https://jet.com/product/detail/7ff1...gclid=CJ-I3oz6u80CFYwkgQodeJsJjA&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts

The blue Seiko "Nautilus," Vostok, and G-Shock, are probably my most worn pieces at this point, although I did wear a cheap PAM homage to death, which is why that slot is open. These three form the heart of my collection: 3 essentials (dress, everyday, and tool). I realize the Seiko isn't a true dress watch, but it's functional relative the level of formality in my social and work situations. It would be impressive if I could find one watch that would cover all these roles, but "Three Watches To Be Happy With" is probably more likely.
Okay, so I think we have the three watches you'll take with you, plus your new acquisition.

I think it's not unreasonable to expect that you can get ~$100 CAD from sales of the rest, right? That's netting less than $20 per watch. So now we're at $350 CAD, and maybe a tad more.

There's the Deaumar Ensign-- Sapphire Crystal, Ceramic Bezel, really nice bracelet, at a preorder of less than $250 USD (esp. when you use EVENMORE as a discount code). Can go with the black for something more dress-diver-y, or a color to contrast with the rest of your collection.
And, it'll be ready in September-- just in time for your new job to start. And you wouldn't have to dispose of much more of your collection to pay for it.

https://deaumar.com/collections/deaumar-watches/products/deaumar-ensign?variant=14034625927
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/deaumar-ensign-my-preview-review-3277610.html

Seiko Turtle (probably used).
Kind of the same.

SARB033/35 (probably used)
If you think you need something a little dressier, and you like the smaller sizes (which it looks like you do with your current collection)

The eco-drive you suggest seems OK, but I wonder if you might miss the WIS-ness of your primary watch being an automatic.
If you're living abroad, maybe one of the Vostok K-34s with a (slaved) GMT hand, so you know if it's OK to call your parents? That's certainly within the budget, with LOTS of room for straps... and maybe even another grab-and-go quartz too.

Komandirskie K-34 2426/350006 Meranom.com

Just spitballin' here...

Reactions: brandon\ and CMcG

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think looking for a quality all arounder is a great choice.

Felt like I just suggested mostly popular WIS affordables, but I think they could work for you. There are others, but I'm struggling to think of some when I should be working.
Those are forum favourites for a reason! Thanks for such a nice list :)

You're right that a quality all-around timepiece is probably my best bet for the new purchase. Of your suggestions, I'm feeling the Seiko SRP703 for a versatile dress watch and the Seiko SNZH for a dress diver. The affordable prices on these also leave room for a premium leather strap!

I didn't know the SRP703 had a textured tile, which IMHO gives it a bit more panache than a plainer style.

The SNZH55 has been on my radar for a while, especially because of the mod options for either a FFF or Explorer dial.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I'll suggest something different. Trim back you collection however you see fit. Bring two or three watches and the money you've accumulated with you. Buy a watch there. I'd like to say an SAS. But they are pretty far above your budget.
Look what I found for you:
Irish Watch Brands | Which Watch

Then, after your two year stint, you'll have a very cool souvenir from your stay in Ireland.

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
Start selling the watches you wear least and don't have any sentimental value until you have enough for one of these (with adding the gift from your father):

Reactions: CMcG

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so I think we have the three watches you'll take with you, plus your new acquisition.

I think it's not unreasonable to expect that you can get ~$100 CAD from sales of the rest, right? That's netting less than $20 per watch. So now we're at $350 CAD, and maybe a tad more.

The eco-drive you suggest seems OK, but I wonder if you might miss the WIS-ness of your primary watch being an automatic.
If you're living abroad, maybe one of the Vostok K-34s with a (slaved) GMT hand, so you know if it's OK to call your parents? ...

The irony of keeping the the Seiko Nautilus, Vostok Amphibian, and the G-Shock is that they're probably worth more than my other watches, but that's OK because I really enjoy them. You're right that I should be able to build up the budget by selling some of the other pieces... we'll see if I can make it to $350 CAD!

Pre-orders like the Deaumar probably aren't a good idea at this point in case of delays or problems with changing addresses. The SARB033 is very nice, but a little plain for my taste... maybe my WISdom isn't there yet? The Vostok k-34s is cool, but GMT complications don't really appeal to me, except on my G-Shock, which has World Time on it b-)

The Corso is still calling to me; part of the appeal is precisely that it is Eco Drive, rather than automatic, which appeals to a different aspect of WIS-ness ;-) Accurate grab 'n' go is helpful for an everyday watch that I could wear to work... I wonder why it doesn't get more love :think:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'll suggest something different. Trim back you collection however you see fit. Bring two or three watches and the money you've accumulated with you. Buy a watch there. I'd like to say an SAS. But they are pretty far above your budget.
Look what I found for you:
Irish Watch Brands | Which Watch

Then, after your two year stint, you'll have a very cool souvenir from your stay in Ireland.
That's a cool idea b-) I like the idea of a souvenir watch, and I had actually looked at those Irish watch brands before. Good call on the SAS, but it's waaaaaaay out of the price range. Unfortunately, the ones I can afford are either too kitschy (Rovada) or too generic/Bauhaus/plain (Ansley). I'm going to keep my eyes out, though, and we'll see if there are any new developments in the next couple years!

Start selling the watches you wear least and don't have any sentimental value until you have enough for one of these (with adding the gift from your father):
Thanks, brandon\, I appreciate the directness of your suggestion. This thread is presenting a lot of options, and it's nice to have a more definitive choice presented!

It appears you're recommending the SARB033? Perdendosi suggested it too, but I think I prefer the very similar looking SRP703 that Goody2141 mentioned... besides the SARB033 is a bit too far out of the budget, and I'd have to sell most (all?) of my watches and still stretch to afford it...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Another that I think comes close to the SRP703 in looks, but quartz and chronograph is the SPC083. They are great looking watches. Some don't care for the big date (I don't love it, but also don't hate it).

I had a 079, but later sold because it was a little too dressy for me. But I still think about getting a 083 at some point.

Heres a pic of the one i owned. Man, I still think it is a gorgeous watch.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everybody, for the help! I figured I should provide an update, in case anyone was curious about what I decided.

I ended up buying the Citizen Corso, which has now arrived. It is a major step up from my other watches, and now I'm looking for a an equally nice black leather strap to go with it. Preferably something that is neither padded nor tapered, but that does have a smooth grain and minimal stitching. I might go with something handmade if I can find one that is affordable, and yet also nicely finished.

I've also started to thin the herd, and so I've posted a few "For Sale" threads:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-modded-seiko-5-a-3402666.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-2-sottomarinos-pilot-explorer-3402650.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-steel-adidas-digital-green-face-3402626.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-2-vintage-mechanicals-shanghai-vcm-3402602.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts