WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Warning: fairly long

Hi everybody, this is a two part post; a State of the Collection and a Future of the Collection if you will.

SOTC:

(Please note none of the photos are mine, if they're yours and you want credit/want it taken down let me know)

The first real watch I got was a used Tag Heuer Men's CAF2110.BA0809
tag-heuer-aquaracer-caf2110-ba0809-14.jpg
It doesn't get worn too much in everyday life, but I'll break it out for special occasions and it still has a special place in my heart for introducing me to the world of watches.

My second watch was a gift from my grandmother for a birthday, a Seiko SNZG15
71KvIKbrQ6L._UY445_.jpg
I never wear it, except for when my grandmother is in town... The mineral glass has turned me off to anything other than sapphire as I scratched it the day I got it.

My third watch was an early christmas gift to myself, a Halios Delfin.
uhuvenup.jpg
It's the one that I've worn the most and I love it dearly. Absolutely gorgeous and what I think is the best looking watch I own. Honestly cannot say enough good things about this watch and Halios in general. Unbelievable service, quality, and design. Enormous props to Jason.

My fourth watch came as a present from my dad, he did a presentation for a swiss company and they gave it to him as a gift. He has a vintage Navitimer that never leaves his wrist, so he figured I'd get more use out of it. Mondaine Classic.
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 3.32.59 PM.jpg
This gets virtually no wrist time. It looks a bit too much like a toy for my liking.

My fifth and the latest watch was a gift from my parents for my 18th. A Halios Tropik B.
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 3.31.45 PM.jpg
Another spectacular Halios! I guess my parents told Jason it was my birthday because he attached a note to the top of box the watch came in wishing me a happy birthday. On top of that he gave me same number as the day of my birthday (28) and included six(!) straps. Incredible watch. Halios is the best micro in the business. This trades off wrist time with the Delfin.

That rounds off what I have right now. Now we're going to move into what I want in a sixth watch. I have my first real job this summer and I'm going have some money to throw around and so I've decided to spend all of it on a watch and I'm looking for some help. This is my first really big watch purchase so I'm looking for some insight. I've done a fair bit of research, but I haven't found something I truly LOVE yet.

I want to spend a maximum of $2500, preferably less because any money I have left I'll just have during my senior year. I'm looking for an automatic watch with sapphire crystal. Those are must haves. Also steel, titanium or something of equal strength. I want to be able to wear the watch and not have to worry about it. Also since I'm still in school it should be on the more casual end of the spectrum, but I'd also like to be able to wear it with a tie. I would also like it to be on a bracelet, but that's not completely necessary. Also for reference I have a 7" wrist, so nothing huge. I like how my two Halios wear. I'm fine with going used, but would prefer new. I'm a little hesitant about vintage. Gray market is fine.

So here are the options I've dug up thus far...

Muhle-Glashutte Seebataillon GMT
Muhle-glashutte-seebataillon-gmt-4.jpg
Pros:
Titanium
Hand finished ETA
Nicely executed GMT
Display back
Could take a beating
Small brand

Cons:
A little too toolish
Towards the upper end of my price range (gray market/slightly used)
Not completely sold on the countdown bezel
My mom doesn't like it
Too big(?)

Nomos Club
IMG_5017.jpg
Pros:
In house movement
Pretty
Cheaper end of my price range
Its a Nomos

Cons:
Handwound version is the only one in my price range
Long lugs

Longines Legend Diver
LonginesLegendDiver1_zpsb95955f9.jpg
Pros:
Stunning
Cool retro design
History
Middle of price range (gray market)
Thin

Cons:
A little too dressy/formal

Oris Divers Sixty-Five
Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five-5.jpg

Pros:
Cool design
Cheaper end of the spectrum
History
Thin

Cons:
A little too funky
PVD Bezel might scratch

Zodiac Seawolf Reissue
ZODIAC_SEAWOLF_DIAL9-1024x682.jpg

Pros:
History
Modern twist on a classic
Cheaper end of the spectrum

Cons:
It's a $1200 Fossil

The current grail:
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 3.42.55 PM.jpg
Tudor Blackbay Heritage (blue)

I know I could get a used one for ~$2250-$2500, but the in-house movement, having been just released, won't have hit the used market yet. May also be a graduation gift.

Thank you so much for suggestions, comments, whatever.

P.S. I'm pretty set on making my first big watch purchase this summer, so please don't tell me that I'm too young to be spending this much money on a watch or that I'm a spoiled brat. I worked hard to earn my money and this is the way I want to spend it.

Reactions: shendizadeh

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses! That's a nice looking Oris, but that white date window. mr_sneeze, do you mean that I should save up for the Tudor?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'd go for a used (or perhaps heavily discounted new) Gen 1 Tudor Black Bay. In house movements are overrated (and I'm generally a fan of in-house movements). I prefer the Gen 1 BB dial with the Tudor rose logo. Also, the ETA movement will be easier/cheaper to service down the road.

Another brand I think you might look into is Jean Richard, if you have any interest in cushion shaped cases. They are absolutely on the same level, quality-wise, as other watches in the same general MSRP (~$3k), but are basically worthless on the grey market for some reason. You get a high quality watch at a huge discount with JR.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I probably shouldn't even be posting this but seriously ... you don't have a single picture of any watch you own or have owned and find it easier to grabs pics off the internet. I guess at least you didn't photoshop yourself into the pics. In any case I'd recommend the Bugatti Veyron... sorry... wrong forum.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably shouldn't even be posting this but seriously ... you don't have a single picture of any watch you own or have owned and find it easier to grabs pics off the internet. I guess at least you didn't photoshop yourself into the pics. In any case I'd recommend the Bugatti Veyron... sorry... wrong forum.
I don't really see your point. I do have pictures of my watches, they're just terrible cellphone quality and I figured no one would want to see those. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep an eye out for one on f29.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GX9901, I'll take a look at their watches thanks for the suggestion. Going with an ETA Tudor is probably good down the road thinking. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal.

I'd still like to see some other options and opinions though.

·
Registered
30,544 Posts
just get the Tudor if you want it. Your other options are all expensive detours to what you want

If you want the in house movement then save up for that, learning to delay gratification is a skill that the earlier you develop the better. Personally I like the first gen BB better, the bracelet and dial are so much nicer!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't really see your point. I do have pictures of my watches, they're just terrible cellphone quality and I figured no one would want to see those. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep an eye out for one on f29.
I thought my point was obvious. Play along for a second... you have a couple thousand in watches but your cell phone is from 2001 and takes really ****ty photos that no one wants to see. Um.. ok, I have a Samsung that's a couple of years old and takes ridiculously good photos. Come to think of it, so did my last phone (even older droid). You bluffed, I called. Don't worry it'll be my last response to this thread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
just get the Tudor if you want it. Your other options are all expensive detours to what you want

If you want the in house movement then save up for that, learning to delay gratification is a skill that the earlier you develop the better. Personally I like the first gen BB better, the bracelet and dial are so much nicer!
Like this one!

tudor_heritage_black_bay_baselworld_2012_6.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I'm convinced, the Tudor it is! Thank you all for telling me something I should have already known!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I was going to weigh in, but your above post...

Anyway, I have the Muhle Glashutte and it is awesome, but not for everybody. The countrdown bezel is awesome, though.
The Zodiac is pretty sweet and I would not fret over the Fossil relationship.
Maybe look at the Eterna KonTiki lineup?
Otherwise, wait for the Tudor.

But the Breitling Avenger II Seawolf is the bestest watch in the world. How could you not want that one? Donald Trump says so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It would come down to the Nomos, Longines and the Tudor for me. So considering you're going the Tudor, great choice. It'd probably be considered the more 'grail-ier?' of the three, not to mention just plain gorgeous.

Reactions: dnlbroun

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Breitling is an absolutely gorgeous watch, I just want something a little more understated. I would, however, like to hear more about your experience with the Seebataillon. While this may be my first big watch purchase, it certainly won't be my last! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts