WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many times over the years, forum some members have asked about seeing Soviet watches actually being worn by Soviet citizens. Well here are a couple of examples in the short video 'One day in the life of Leningrad. City and People 1977'

Example 1 - A Raketa UFO

And here is the watch in more detail:

This watch was probably considered a Unisex watch as it was worn by both males and females.

The second example is more difficult. I have not deciphered what this watch is. Maybe you recognise it? Notice the large triangular lugs and the bezel.

The video is here if you want to take a look:

Sekondtime

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thank you for sharing this. It is interesting to see watches being used back when they were new as they are vintage now. I'm also looking forward to any guesses for the second watch as I have no idea what it might be.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Raketa UFO looks really nice. The 3D dial is amazing. Even modern dimensions.

No idea on the second watch but I think I saw on online stores vintage Poljot alarms from the 1980s with similar shaped triangular lugs and similar metal bezel.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Raketa UFO looks really nice. The 3D dial is amazing. Even modern dimensions.

No idea on the second watch but I think I saw on online stores vintage Poljot alarms from the 1980s with similar shaped triangular lugs and similar metal bezel.
I wondered if it was a Slava or Vostok but your suggestion of a Poljot alarm could be a possibility although I am not sure if these were more 80s than 70s..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another quick snippet of life in 1977. This time it is the Minsk Watch Factory in Belarus. This comes from a news magazine programme called 'Daily News' or 'Новости дня'. from 1977. Even for 1977, this programme feels very dated! This feature was about industry in Belarus and they show various factories including tractor and lorry factories! The watch factory only comes up very briefly at 1:55:26

Sekondtime

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting subject Roman Ukraine.

The best place to look for this watch is the 1953, 1957 or 1960 catalogues. We can see it only has even numbers and batons for odd numbers. The crown is rounded rather than flat and the case is chrome. Also the brand name text is rather long. So it is unlikely to be a Vesna for example. The case is large for that period so it is likely to be a mens watch rather than the tiny women's watches of the time.

My best guess at the moment is Leningrad. The thing that is making it difficult to be certain is the case. Notice the straight edge at the top and bottom of the case by the strap. Most cases at this time had a curved edge.

I have increased the size of the image of the watch and turned it around so that you can see it more clearly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts