WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Mickey Mouse
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was watching the launch yesterday and noticed they were wearing wristwatches over their suits. Couldn't make out the model so a google search indicated they wear Omega Speedmaster X-33. Never ventured into the "instrument" section in Omega's website...

Thought it was pretty cool...

Reactions: 2premo

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think Musk and Co are really keen to carry on with NASA traditions as far as they can, so it’s pretty obvious and nice choice!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So I was watching the launch yesterday and noticed they were wearing wristwatches over their suits. Couldn't make out the model so a google search indicated they wear Omega Speedmaster X-33. Never ventured into the "instrument" section in Omega's website...

Thought it was pretty cool...
yeah, the crew that lauched earlier in the summer & docked with the ISS also wore Speedy X-33 watches....

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
I think Musk and Co are really keen to carry on with NASA traditions as far as they can, so it’s pretty obvious and nice choice!
These are NASA astronauts and the X-33's are issued by NASA, not SpaceX. SpaceX provides the suit and ship.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
GSHOCKs, ROLEX and FORTIS are some others you’ll see aboard and some are flight qualified as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
I always loved X-33.
Love the concept and the titanium feel
The functions are "out of this world"
Does anyone have long term experience using one day in, day out?
I'm very interested to know how the double back plate behaves in daily life scenario.
My impression is that it will collect so much gunk and will be very difficult to clean, that I would be ashamed to send it in for service.
Any first hand experience?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I don't use my X-33 daily, but I've had it long enough to have changed the battery twice. The visible outer backing covers up an internal plate. The internal plate sits on an oring (if properly lined up with the oring in the groove) and is captivated when the back is installed. Once the outer plate is fastened, with the screws, nothing moves. Any dust or debris that may get in between the inner and outer plates is not going to come into contact with the watch internals. At worse, it may cause a reduction in the level of the alarm sound.

Also, while I don't do manual labor of the kind that would produce a lot of airborne particulate, I've worn mine on construction sites. Unless you are in a really grimy environment, I doubt your concerns are that valid.

Edit: I almost forgot the best part (file photo):

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always loved X-33.
Love the concept and the titanium feel
The functions are "out of this world"
Does anyone have long term experience using one day in, day out?
I'm very interested to know how the double back plate behaves in daily life scenario.
My impression is that it will collect so much gunk and will be very difficult to clean, that I would be ashamed to send it in for service.
Any first hand experience?
I wore my X-33 G2 for 8 years as a daily but it has taken a regular back seat to my mechanicals for the past 7. It went everywhere with me in that time and has the scars to show for it, even after 2 full services (put more on). Swimming in pools and at the beach, snowboarding, sleeping in the Egyptian desert, etc. I have taken a toothbrush to it while running under a cold tap on a few occasions but not often and more so to clean the bracelet. Usually it looks clean after running it under a tap or through a shower with a good rinse to get the soap off. Never noticed any kind of build up on the case back but I regularly rinsed the watch.

EDIT: Typo.

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
GSHOCKs, ROLEX and FORTIS are some others you’ll see aboard and some are flight qualified as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are several GShocks and Timex that NASA has as crew equipment. Others are personal watches that a person chooses to take with them as personal equipment, much like Col. Pogue's Seiko or the occasional Rolex you saw years ago. Those aren't flight qualified.

Fortis claims to fly via the Russian Space program but I've asked astronauts and cosmonauts about Fortis and none of them had ever heard of them before. Of course, these guys aren't watch geeks so that doesn't mean too much. I suspect Fortis probably paid Roskosmos to promote their watches. I think Omega probably does the same to get the original moonwatches flown on Soyuz.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just saw this on YouTube of Day2 into the Mission, looks like a traditional Speedmaster of some variety is this crew members choice 😎

Video link;
At 4:40

1 - 15 of 15 Posts