WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my local dealer yesterday and tried on both the SPB093 and the SPB171. When I first read about the 171, I thought the porcelain dial was the key thing to the special edition. But when I saw the 093 beside it in the case, I realized it had a porcelain dial as well. I put them side by side, tried both on, and didn’t see the difference. Ok, cool blue strap and the xxxx of 2000 on the back. But looks like the same case and movement. And according to Hodinkee’s review of the 171, a lower water resistance for the extra money? Am I missing something?

On a side note, why does Seiko make the cases for these so thick? I wasn’t sure about the diameter, but the thickness was a deal killer for me. I was thinking both looked nice enough to dress up, but not sure they would fit under a cuff. Now, the Grand Seiko SBGW231 I also tried on? So much nicer for what I hand in mind. Twice the cost, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
These Arita models look incredible but they are even thicker than the original SARWs at 14.1mm - unbearable even for 7" wrist. It's the same for the blue SARW039. The special enamel plate is extra thick it seems. It's a no-no for me because after the novelty wears off, it's heavyweight lifting for my tiny wrist.

For comparison, SARW013 with Urushi dial: 13.2mm (still very thick)

The very recent SAWR057 is the thinnest 6r27 at 12.4mm thick, also with lacquer dial

OG SARW035 at 12.8mm thick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a no-no for me because after the novelty wears off, it's heavyweight lifting for my tiny wrist.

OG SARW035 at 12.8mm thick
You should have seen it on my 6.5” wrist. Beautiful watch, but I took off a fairly thin 36mm watch to try it on. The difference was ridiculous. If it had been 36-38mm and 11-12mm thick, it probably would have left on my wrist.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You should have seen it on my 6.5” wrist. Beautiful watch, but I took off a fairly thin 36mm watch to try it on. The difference was ridiculous. If it had been 36-38mm and 11-12mm thick, it probably would have left on my wrist.

I was wearing a bunch of thiccc SARW, SARD and Brightz before no problems. But once I got my hand on a few slim, feather Credor, I could never go back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts