WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Seiko SND365 "Ron Swanson"
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seikoholics, is the SPB143 worth its price? I've heard compelling cases for both sides.

On one hand, some say it's outright too expensive (about $1600 CAD) and enters a division of fierce competition, with Mido and Zodiac to name two. On the other, it may punch above its weight - Black Bay on a budget.

Thoughts? Firsthand experience?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s tough to spend that much on a Seiko but general consensus is it is worth it. The Seikos at this price point are so much better than lower priced ones. Biggest criticism is the movement.

Check out this thread:
View attachment 15714108
Stunning picture! Damn. One cannot get a better looking (non-GS) Seiko. Time to delve into that link. Thank you kindly

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think it is. There's something about it that might not come across in pictures but when you see it in the metal as some people say and you hold it, you can tell there's a difference between the SPB14x and the Seiko divers hovering the $500 price point.

BB58/ SPB145/ SPB147

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So my opinion, flawed as it may be, is that I bought a Sumo with a 6R15 for about $480 which is a much better bargain. The only thing this model has the Sumo doesn't is DiaShield. Yeah, the 6R35 has a better power reserve and there may be a few differences between the two I don't know about that skew in the 62MAS's favor but, honestly, $480 vs. $1200???? Not close at all for two watches that are pretty similar.

I say it's not worth the price. It's a nice watch to be sure but, comparing to a "run of the mil" Sumo, it's a bit over priced for something that arguably functions no better than the cheaper model.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my opinion, flawed as it may be, is that I bought a Sumo with a 6R15 for about $480 which is a much better bargain. The only thing this model has the Sumo doesn't is DiaShield. Yeah, the 6R35 has a better power reserve and there may be a few differences between the two I don't know about that skew in the 62MAS's favor but, honestly, $480 vs. $1200???? Not close at all for two watches that are pretty similar.

I say it's not worth the price. It's a nice watch to be sure but, comparing to a "run of the mil" Sumo, it's a bit over priced for something that arguably functions no better than the cheaper model.
Movement aside, does it feel in the same ballpark as something like a Black Bay? Finish, quality, presence, etc

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Movement aside, does it feel in the same ballpark as something like a Black Bay? Finish, quality, presence, etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tough to find something nicer for the price, I think. Proportions just work so well. Better than any other seiko diver <$1500 IMHO. Worth what you'll pay for it. What's the alternative?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Some people don't like the bracelet but I don't have a problem with it. The watch itself is quite solid. Finish and quality of the Sumo is very good. It's a good chunk on the wrist and one of the few watches anyone has actually recognized while I was wearing it so it does have good presence. The sharp transitions between polished and brushed surfaces is really nice.

The only other watches that have been recognized are my TAG-Heuer 6000 Chronographs from the mid 90s.

The only other watch I have that has more presence is my Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph which just outclasses all my Seiko watches.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the SPB147 and it is a hell lot of a watch with excellent finishing. I was quite pleased with my $1000 spend and wear it in rotation with my OP41. Tgese SPBs are gorgeous timepieces.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I too have been on the fence about the SPB143. I love that dial and that 40mm case, but I can't bring myself to pay US$1,000 for it. For some reason, even though it's a regular production Seiko, the prices seem to be not softening, even trending upwards in some grey markets.

US$1,000 seems too high a price. I would probably get one when it hits $800.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
It's worth every penny. For the poster that said "the sumo is in the same class without diashield"...its a nice watch, yes it is. In the same class with the 140 series, not even close. I have owned 2 different styles of 62 mas....this is the one they should have released first, not the 050 series. The giant 44, 46 mm dive watches of Seiko will be going the way of the Dodo I would suspect. Everything they are making is getting more in line with what consumers are looking for. The giant watch trend is dead now.

For those who say, well there is much better at that price point....with in house movement? Built IN Japan not China? Swiss made with in house movement? With an actual Diver's Cert? Add those things, there isn't anything, not within another grand or more.

I'm still confused as to why anyone is complaining about the movement. Mine is accurate within a couple seconds a day, has a 70 hour power reserve and is a tank. I don't care if Seiko regulates the movement to be within 1 second a day, its a good solid movement. Stop looking at the 15 or 20 people in the world who go onto 5000 forums to complain about the same watch. Its the same people posting on 5000 different forums. People who are satisfied with their watch don't go on forums and say how wonderful they are. Most people who buy watches don't go on forums at all. They buy that one watch they wanted and go about their business.

If the watch is attracting your attention, keeps making you look at webpages and study it, buy it. If you buy the one someone recommended due to their own taste, you just settled for something someone else bought. If you like it, buy it.

I have the 149 and absolutely love it. I'm dumping my other Seiko's because they will never get any more wrist time to this beauty. For the first time in many many years, Seiko released something that is wearable by just about anyone. The proportions are about as near perfect for Seiko as you can get.

Again, I have enjoyed my Sumo, but it looks like the ugly fat lady in the watch box compared to the 149. Sorry fat lady, you just sang your last toon for me.....buh bye.....

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't own one (yet) but you'll notice how the 14X series is rarely off the first page on the Seiko forum. The thread has very little criticism; it's clearly very popular. Second hand prices are also very firm, reinforcing it's desirability.
Shop around for a good price, and judging by the vast opion of others, you won't be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts