WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes - they are pretty reasonably priced for what they offer.

I have owned a few Seiko divers in the sub-$1k category over the years (still have a one or two), and my SPB147 is a very clear step up from them all in every regard. As with another poster, the SPB147 is now basically forcing my hand to thin the last of my Seiko diver herd (expecet for the SKX009, which will always stay as my first automatic) - the others just don't get the same wrist time they used to.

It is clearly and noticeably of a higher and better quality than any of their other sub-$1k divers. More refined in styling and finishing, and very noticeably so when you actually have it in the hand and on the wrist. The difference may not be quite as obvious from photos alone, but as soon as you see it in the metal, it's really obvious. They are not the same kind of beast as Seiko's chunkier tool watches and there is a clear difference in how they wear and in how they are finished.

The SPB147 is the closest comparison the SPB14x line has to the BB58. It's not quite at the level of the BB58 in terms of finesse and finishing, but it comes surprisingly close and certainly much closer than you would think given the very significant price difference between the two of them. Close enough that I went for it over a BB58 and scratched the "well made retro diver" itch....and saved thousands in the process to put toward other watches.

I'm not saying that if someone really loves and wants a BB58 that the SPB14x it will sate that desire - it won't as it's not the same watch and the BB58 is a step up on a few fronts. But I am saying that it you kinda dig the BB58, think you might like one (but are not consumed by burning desires for it) and like quite like the look of the SPB14x line too, then you may just have found your answer.

And just to be clear - I think the SPB14x line stands firmly on its own two feet totally and completely aside from comparisons with the BBs or any other dive watch. They are very good watches and they are not unreasonably priced (particularly given a some ADs may give you 10-15% off if you bargain a bit - although maybe not so much now as when they first came out as there seems to be serious demand for it and secondary/grey prices are holding firm).

GS aside, it might be the best release Seiko has put out in years.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
since i have a smaller wrist, i enjoy a lot along side my Steel Master and my Sowflake !

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I think the SPB14x series is a great line by Seiko. I was impressed enough when I got my 149 that I got the 143. The grey and the blue are great dressy divers. Unlike some people, my timekeeping has been accurate. YMMV.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I’ll throw in my $0.02. I did not expect to be as impressed as I was. I can’t take mine off my wrist. I think it’s worth it depending on what you value. For me, the brand and heritage is a big part of it.

Is it Tudor-level? No.

Is it worth ~1000 usd? Yes and then some.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts

I have owned a few Seiko divers in the sub-$1k category over the years (still have a one or two), and my SPB147 is a very clear step up from them all in every regard. As with another poster, the SPB147 is now basically forcing my hand to thin the last of my Seiko diver herd (expecet for the SKX009, which will always stay as my first automatic) - the others just don't get the same wrist time they used to.

It is clearly and noticeably of a higher and better quality than any of their other sub-$1k divers. More refined in styling and finishing, and very noticeably so when you actually have it in the hand and on the wrist. The difference may not be quite as obvious from photos alone, but as soon as you see it in the metal, it's really obvious. They are not the same kind of beast as Seiko's chunkier tool watches and there is a clear difference in how they wear and in how they are finished.

The SPB147 is the closest comparison the SPB14x line has to the BB58. It's not quite at the level of the BB58 in terms of finesse and finishing, but it comes surprisingly close and certainly much closer than you would think given the very significant price difference between the two of them. Close enough that I went for it over a BB58 and scratched the "well made retro diver" itch....and saved thousands in the process to put toward other watches.

I'm not saying that if someone really loves and wants a BB58 that the SPB14x it will sate that desire - it won't as it's not the same watch and the BB58 is a step up on a few fronts. But I am saying that it you kinda dig the BB58, think you might like one (but are not consumed by burning desires for it) and like quite like the look of the SPB14x line too, then you may just have found your answer.

And just to be clear - I think the SPB14x line stands firmly on its own two feet totally and completely aside from comparisons with the BBs or any other dive watch. They are very good watches and they are not unreasonably priced (particularly given a some ADs may give you 10-15% off if you bargain a bit - although maybe not so much now as when they first came out as there seems to be serious demand for it and secondary/grey prices are holding firm).

You're gonna itch that scratch.....I did......

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
It still is afflicted by the horrible misalignment issues that has plague lower end models, the limited edition 149 is the same but you pay more for that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
6R35 is an extremely mediocre movement.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have the SBDC51 which is only a couple mm difference in size and much higher quality imho. Posted this awhile back;

"Now in regard to the SPB143;
First the price is crazy especially compared to picking up the SBDC51 2nd hand or even can still buy new. I bought mine here in like new condition.
It's really not that much smaller and I don't have large wrists, 6.75in
SPB143 case diff 2mm, lug to lug diff 2mm, thickness under 1mm diff
Then there is that bezel, to me it looks too wide and definitely prefer the glossy bezel of the SBDC51.
The only color of the SPB models that even appeal to me is the 143 and would rather have black than grey.
The only thing I will concede is the hand set, I do like that a bit more on the SPB especially the second hand.
But I believe the lume on the indices is better "finished" on the SBDC being flush and smooth where as the SPB is a "glob" like the Turtles.

But seriously the price differential is insane for the same quality level, I know, I know, the movement is "better" but that isn't a deal breaker."

So no it's not worth that much coin.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
The question of whether the SPBX 62MAS “reimagination” models are worthwhile or not seems extremely subjective.

I’ve owned two, the 143 and 149, along with the SLA037.

The 149 is a great value, from my perspective, in terms of the beautiful color on the dial, PR, diashield coating, bracelet, and silicone strap combo, etc., and the timekeeping specs of the 6R35 relative to the cost. I rotate so often I never bothered to track the timekeeping performance, but it seemed fine. Mine wasn’t getting wrist time, since the SLA037 and others were hogging it, so I happily moved it along to a new home.

I think the bracelet is fine for the cost, but have read some complaints others have about it. Regardless of its relative value, I wasn’t wearing it on my 143, never even had it sized, so I moved the still-stickered bracelet along to a happy new owner as well, who is enjoying it. To each their own.

I have owned a number of Black Bays, including the BB58. All things being equal, I don’t think the finishing of the SPB14X models is close to that of the 58, nor is the movement chronometer grade like the 58’s...but all things are not equal, and the BB58’s significantly more expensive.

If one were to compare the finishing on the 58 vs the SLA037, that may be a more fair comparison, and the SLA037 may win out, in some folks’ opinions. But again, the comparison wouldn’t be made in a vacuum, and the 037 is twice the cost of BB58 on strap or thereabouts, so that’s a huge factor for many of us.

Bottom line, I think the SPB143 at its cost works for me as a versatile, tough change-of-pace watch on a variety of straps, but I get why it might not work universally for everyone. I’d also not personally ditch certain others I own in favor of keeping the 143, if forced to pick, but to each their own.

I like the SPB14X line, and for me, they’re solid value.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I have 2 050 series that are about to go to for sale. Although its only 2 mm larger in size and 2mm lug to lug, that 2mm adds to 4 when you add a bracelet. The 149 comes in at around 49mm with the bracelet. The 050 series comes in at beyond 51mm and doesn't have the same nice curve to form to the wrist that the 149 does. The shape of the 140 series is what makes it, in my opinion, better than the 050 series. It harkens back to the original 62mas alot more than the one release a couple years ago does. This is what I was looking for. The 050 series is much more modern looking and a great looking watch, but the lug to lug on that and the 060 series have made them not that much fun to wear. I can pull them off fine....I have good size wrists, but the new shape and lug to lug are the sweet spot for me.

Both are great watches, but I just feel the newer one left the other one behind.

brash

·
Registered
Seiko SND365 "Ron Swanson"
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It's worth every penny. For the poster that said "the sumo is in the same class without diashield"...its a nice watch, yes it is. In the same class with the 140 series, not even close. I have owned 2 different styles of 62 mas....this is the one they should have released first, not the 050 series. The giant 44, 46 mm dive watches of Seiko will be going the way of the Dodo I would suspect. Everything they are making is getting more in line with what consumers are looking for. The giant watch trend is dead now.

For those who say, well there is much better at that price point....with in house movement? Built IN Japan not China? Swiss made with in house movement? With an actual Diver's Cert? Add those things, there isn't anything, not within another grand or more.

I'm still confused as to why anyone is complaining about the movement. Mine is accurate within a couple seconds a day, has a 70 hour power reserve and is a tank. I don't care if Seiko regulates the movement to be within 1 second a day, its a good solid movement. Stop looking at the 15 or 20 people in the world who go onto 5000 forums to complain about the same watch. Its the same people posting on 5000 different forums. People who are satisfied with their watch don't go on forums and say how wonderful they are. Most people who buy watches don't go on forums at all. They buy that one watch they wanted and go about their business.

If the watch is attracting your attention, keeps making you look at webpages and study it, buy it. If you buy the one someone recommended due to their own taste, you just settled for something someone else bought. If you like it, buy it.

I have the 149 and absolutely love it. I'm dumping my other Seiko's because they will never get any more wrist time to this beauty. For the first time in many many years, Seiko released something that is wearable by just about anyone. The proportions are about as near perfect for Seiko as you can get.

Again, I have enjoyed my Sumo, but it looks like the ugly fat lady in the watch box compared to the 149. Sorry fat lady, you just sang your last toon for me.....buh bye.....
Standing ovation

·
Registered
271 Posts
The moment you quit comparing it to other watches, and just judge it for what it truly is; a lovely designed Seiko diver - you get the answer.

I did.

These traps are killer. What are they?

I bought the 143 as my first piece over 1k. Overall I'm very pleased and would have bought again. It sparkles under some lights and looks great in the sun.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I have both too but I find the SEIKO faaar behind, in all aspects. The Achilles heel of the Seiko is the movement. Imagine turning on your car oneday, it has 100hp, the next 150hp, and the day after 75hp.
Having said that I regulated mine and it’s good now, but the amplitude remains low....I still love it and it gets a lot of wrist time....

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have both too but I find the SEIKO faaar behind, in all aspects. The Achilles heel of the Seiko is the movement. Imagine turning on your car oneday, it has 100hp, the next 150hp, and the day after 75hp.
Having said that I regulated mine and it’s good now, but the amplitude remains low....I still love it and it gets a lot of wrist time....
Admittedly I’ve only ever had limited time with the BB58 in ADs, so I don’t doubt the differences may be more apparent if I owned both and had more time with the BB58. But when I had them side by side in an AD once, I wouldn’t have pegged the Seiko as costing 30-40% of what the BB58 cost. It seemed closer than that to me, albeit not quite at the same level.

Seiko movements are definitely a stranger bunch than many Swiss ones. I’ve owned quite a few Seikos and low amplitude is a pretty common feature, so much so I suspect it’s intentional.

But I won’t argue that the 6r family can be hit and miss at times. I’ve owned a few 6r15s - some were rock solid others performed more like demented tractors and wandered all over the place!

Saying that, the 6r35 in my SPB147 has been very stable and consistent. I did ask the AD to have their resident watch maker throw it on the timegrapher (from the slightly confused look I got from the sales rep I suspect that was the first time anyone ever asked them to put a Seiko on a timegrapher before paying 😂), just to check amplitude etc. and all looked very healthy that day and has performed consistently over the months since.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Admittedly I’ve only ever had limited time with the BB58 in ADs, so I don’t doubt the differences may be more apparent if I owned both and had more time with the BB58. But when I had them side by side in an AD once, I wouldn’t have pegged the Seiko as costing 30-40% of what the BB58 cost. It seemed closer than that to me, albeit not quite at the same level.

Seiko movements are definitely a stranger bunch than many Swiss ones. I’ve owned quite a few Seikos and low amplitude is a pretty common feature, so much so I suspect it’s intentional.

But I won’t argue that the 6r family can be hit and miss at times. I’ve owned a few 6r15s - some were rock solid others performed more like demented tractors and wandered all over the place!

Saying that, the 6r35 in my SPB147 has been very stable and consistent. I did ask the AD to have their resident watch maker throw it on the timegrapher (from the slightly confused look I got from the sales rep I suspect that was the first time anyone ever asked them to put a Seiko on a timegrapher before paying 😂), just to check amplitude etc. and all looked very healthy that day and has performed consistently over the months since.
Interesting....
Having owned a wide range of watches. I’d say that the BB58 at 5k CAD and the Seiko at 500$ CAD is fair, that how far I see them apart, on pretty much all levels. The case finish on the Seiko is pretty nice tho. The Tudor line is underpriced but we see them catching up and prices rising.
the movement in the Seiko is absolute garbage. But as Seiko fans it’s not only about that. I love the overall feel of the watch, it has alooooot of charm

·
Registered
17 Posts

I'm a pretty avid seiko guy from the 70s Chronos, skx monsters, sumos, turtles, samurais, grand seikos and everything in-between and I think this is the best fitting seiko in the last 10 years at least. The end links are horrible but everything else on the watch is worth the $1000. Gone are the $150 good seiko divers but the way this wears is making me think of selling my other modern seiko dive watches. I would gladly trade two sumos for one of these.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts