WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Seiko SND365 "Ron Swanson"
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
View attachment 15872191

I'm a pretty avid seiko guy from the 70s Chronos, skx monsters, sumos, turtles, samurais, grand seikos and everything in-between and I think this is the best fitting seiko in the last 10 years at least. The end links are horrible but everything else on the watch is worth the $1000. Gone are the $150 good seiko divers but the way this wears is making me think of selling my other modern seiko dive watches. I would gladly trade two sumos for one of these.
Honestly, I've tried to convince myself it isn't worth it, but I keep coming back. Better to have one proper-proper watch than a few solid ones. At this point I'm considering either a Mido Ocean Star Tribute, Glycine Airman No.1, or this - they all hit around $1300 CAD used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly, I've tried to convince myself it isn't worth it, but I keep coming back. Better to have one proper-proper watch than a few solid ones. At this point I'm considering either a Mido Ocean Star Tribute, Glycine Airman No.1, or this - they all hit around $1300 CAD used.
If you have anywhere to try this on you should put it on your wrist. I wore it to a local shop and the guy said I was the third guy that day with it. I can see the used price softening as these are flying off the shelves and people getting this as a tudor stop gap. If you can wait you can probably catch these used for less when the dust settles. At the new price it's pushing towards sinns market I don't think this is better than a sinn 104 to me but for a seiko this is the one.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I own the SPB149. It's an expensive Seiko, but still has all the issues that the cheaper Seikos have. The movement is meh at best. The 70-hour power reserve is nice, but if you wear it often, not that important.

It's the quality issues that irk me. The bezel not aligned. The wiggle bezel, etc. I was disappointed in these things when I got it. I thought at that price point, they wouldn't be an issue, but they still are.

I still like it a lot, but it punches below its weight in the quality department IMHO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was really looking forward to this watch before I got mine. Once it arrived I was smitten despite what I had heard from the first owners and some QC issues. I wore mine all last summer, basically 2 months straight, in any setting including some local diving.

For most of those 2 months it ran around +5spd. If not worn it would run fast for sure, but kept on my wrist it wouldn't change much at all.

I did however have to regulate near the end of summer, went from +5 to -15 out of nowhere. I'm no watchmaker but whatever the reason the beat error went from 0 to something like 5, a quick adjustment and back to keeping excellent time so long as it's worn constantly. Case is made in china I guess?

I do think it's worth the price if you like the design. You can get a new 300m Tuna or a GSAR around the same price point, but if want a Seiko I don't think you can go wrong!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was really looking forward to this watch before I got mine. Once it arrived I was smitten despite what I had heard from the first owners and some QC issues. I wore mine all last summer, basically 2 months straight, in any setting including some local diving.

For most of those 2 months it ran around +5spd. If not worn it would run fast for sure, but kept on my wrist it wouldn't change much at all.

I did however have to regulate near the end of summer, went from +5 to -15 out of nowhere. I'm no watchmaker but whatever the reason the beat error went from 0 to something like 5, a quick adjustment and back to keeping excellent time so long as it's worn constantly. Case is made in china I guess?
View attachment 15872832

I do think it's worth the price if you like the design. You can get a new 300m Tuna or a GSAR around the same price point, but if want a Seiko I don't think you can go wrong!
May I ask what tools did you use to remove that caseback from your SPB143? Please share pics if possible. Thx.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
These mid tier Seikos are a waste of money, especially if you want to flip them. I do not have the current MAS reissue but I did have the SPB053 and I do have a blue Willard ‘LE’ (isn’t that a joke in itself when there are 5,500 of them). Selling them is like pulling teeth with how much you get low balled. Reason? Because they are probably not worth the retail price in the first place. I got the blue Willard AUD$500 under retail and still I’ll be lucky to get half of the recommended retail despite the watch presenting as NOS.

That’s why in future I’ll be sticking to my Marinemaster (SBDX017) an SKX and a few first series turtles, at least they have charm and reasonable price retention. And please don’t start me on any movement beginning with 6R.

·
Registered
670 Posts

View attachment 15872832

Thanks for posting this. Not a lot of inside shots on recent releases.
I'm not surprised the cash is made in China, as I'm sure of the bracelet.
Now the question is does anyone know the domestic content laws of the Japan that allows the watch to be marked on the outside as "Japan" but a lot of components are made elsewhere? I suspect everything but movement and dial are made in China. The dial may even be made in China.

·
Registered
113 Posts

It sounds like in general you are really enjoying the watch. Honest question - any regrets?

·
Registered
159 Posts
These mid tier Seikos are a waste of money, especially if you want to flip them. I do not have the current MAS reissue but I did have the SPB053 and I do have a blue Willard ‘LE’ (isn’t that a joke in itself when there are 5,500 of them). Selling them is like pulling teeth with how much you get low balled. Reason? Because they are probably not worth the retail price in the first place. I got the blue Willard AUD$500 under retail and still I’ll be lucky to get half of the recommended retail despite the watch presenting as NOS.

That’s why in future I’ll be sticking to my Marinemaster (SBDX017) an SKX and a few first series turtles, at least they have charm and reasonable price retention. And please don’t start me on any movement beginning with 6R.
Very few watches are good “investments”. It’s the same thing with almost all consumer goods. There are exceptions yes. My 6R powered Seikos have been flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
These mid tier Seikos are a waste of money, especially if you want to flip them.
They're watches, not business stock. You may as well be telling us that food is a waste of money, if you want to flip it. The whole "investments" discussion has become tedious, like an anal itch that won't go away.
I do not have the current MAS reissue but I did have the SPB053 and I do have a blue Willard ‘LE’ (isn’t that a joke in itself when there are 5,500 of them). Selling them is like pulling teeth with how much you get low balled. Reason? Because they are probably not worth the retail price in the first place. I got the blue Willard AUD$500 under retail and still I’ll be lucky to get half of the recommended retail despite the watch presenting as NOS.
Why did you even buy it then? Did you think "I'll buy to flip and make money?" Then queue up with all the other whales and ballers at the Rolex AD for some hot steel, and don't forget to take some latex gloves with you for when the sales associate tells you to bring him off under the desk. Oh, and the watches you like don't magically have great "value retention" just because you like them!

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
They're watches, not business stock. You may as well be telling us that food is a waste of money, if you want to flip it. The whole "investments" discussion has become tedious, like an anal itch that won't go away.

Why did you even buy it then? Did you think "I'll buy to flip and make money?" Then queue up with all the other whales and ballers at the Rolex AD for some hot steel, and don't forget to take some latex gloves with you for when the sales associate tells you to bring him off under the desk. Oh, and the watches you like don't magically have great "value retention" just because you like them!
Who said anything about an investment ? The point I’m trying to make is that the mid tier Seikos are
Nothing more than overpriced that keep crappy time. I’ve had over 15 Seikos and still have 5 of them. And yes when compared to my Swiss pieces the mid tier don’t compete.
My Marinemaster is up there but even that piece isn’t a pimple on a mid tier Omega or Rolex ass.

I’ll leave the latex for you to pleasure yourself with during these COVID times. Like you said they are only watches so please don’t take it so personally.

I do have a few Bitcoin though. Now that’s an investment!! Probably better than my Rolex.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Who said anything about an investment ?
You did; you whined about the flip value.
I’ll leave the latex for you to pleasure yourself with during these COVID times. Like you said they are only watches so please don’t take it so personally.
Blimey. Post count nearly ten grand, and you've turned into a box-fresh "investment value" n00b. Maybe you stole someone's profile.

Anyway talking of :poop:, how about I just curl you and your back catalogue out into the Toilet of Ignorance, then? Sounds like you're just here to troll.
I do have a few Bitcoin though. Now that’s an investment!! Probably better than my Rolex.
Figures you have one of those. Anyway...

Gnnnnnh

<splash>

Aaaaaah.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
You did; you whined about the flip value.

Blimey. Post count nearly ten grand, and you've turned into a box-fresh "investment value" n00b. Maybe you stole someone's profile.

Anyway talking of :poop:, how about I just curl you and your back catalogue out into the Toilet of Ignorance, then? Sounds like you're just here to troll.

Figures you have one of those. Anyway...

Gnnnnnh

<splash>

Aaaaaah.
Yawn. Typical whingeing pommie. Yawn.

If you respond again, you're the troll. :)))

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the value proposition is a fair consideration. I tend to get tired of my watches after about a year, so if the value had dropped considerably (from too high a point initially), that's kind of a bummer. Not a deal-breaker though, if I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I get the feeling these are overpriced by general consensus (or at least, controversial), but I haven't had one in my hands yet.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts