WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmm, searching the SPB143 on eBay there are 10 listings and only one of them appears to be pre-owned. Not exactly hordes of people trying to dump them at 50% of retail.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hmm, searching the SPB143 on eBay there are 10 listings and only one of them appears to be pre-owned. Not exactly hordes of people trying to dump them at 50% of retail.
exactly. This has been out almost a year and nice ones with no qc issues sell quickly for $1000. We may think it is overpriced but the value retention is there for now, at least.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have tried this on and was very impressed. I have a 62mas reissue and find it very comfortable. This style of case is very comfortable to wear all day. 👍👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the value proposition is a fair consideration. I tend to get tired of my watches after about a year, so if the value had dropped considerably (from too high a point initially), that's kind of a bummer. Not a deal-breaker though, if I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I get the feeling these are overpriced by general consensus (or at least, controversial), but I haven't had one in my hands yet.
I was going to disagree with you, but I can't. But then again, I can't really think of a non-microbrand dive watch in this price range that I enjoy as much as theSBDC101. I love its lug design, which makes it so that this watch doesn't hang over the 12 o clock side of my wrist. I believe the SBDC 101 is a good watch that would be better a better value if it was sold without a bracelet and at a price that reflects the lack of a bracelet.

I would advise anyone to try one on first though. (That's not something you can really do with a microbrand). I don't think the sunburst dial looks as good in person as it does in photos. It's not as dark as I would like. . And this watch is definitely thicker than I like, especially with a NATO. Finally, the bracelet really isn't that comfortable for me. There's not a combo of adjustments between removing links and microadjust holes that make this watch comfortable for my 17.5cm/6.9" wrist.

Happy with it though:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the SBDC051 and an 053. Great watches, generally; I prefer their explicitly black and blue faces, respectively. For me...make it one or the other...a black 101/043 variant will follow, eventually, I’m betting.

The 051 and 053 were initially lauded for their “smaller” size...the 101/043 clearly demonstrates the trend to smaller cases.

I’d not buy any watch because of value retention, however. The 053 and 051 were available at quite reasonable prices. Expecting them to retain value like a Submariner...not ever gonna happen...didn’t expect them to.

·
Registered
748 Posts
So my opinion, flawed as it may be, is that I bought a Sumo with a 6R15 for about $480 which is a much better bargain. The only thing this model has the Sumo doesn't is DiaShield. Yeah, the 6R35 has a better power reserve and there may be a few differences between the two I don't know about that skew in the 62MAS's favor but, honestly, $480 vs. $1200???? Not close at all for two watches that are pretty similar.

I say it's not worth the price. It's a nice watch to be sure but, comparing to a "run of the mil" Sumo, it's a bit over priced for something that arguably functions no better than the cheaper model.
With changes to the dial and the formerly hideous bezel insert, the current generation Sumo is, in my mind, (almost) everything the Sumo should have been all along. It’s just a fantastic looking piece that punches well above its weight class (pardon the cliche). The handset alone is among Seiko’s best.

Still, the bezel edge is a complete turn-off to me, as is the semi-shrouded case design. Just looking at it I can tell I’d be disappointed by the bezel operability, based upon the way I am accustomed to gripping the bezel to turn it. Needs a true coin edge. The case size, relative to the lug width, still looks strangely out of proportion to me, and it’s impossible for me to unsee. Way too huge…

That said, I bought a 1st Gen Orange Monster when they were still in production thinking I might be making a huge mistake even as I was purchasing it. It was just so wrong on so many levels aesthetically. I wouldn’t dare part with it today.

But, given the choice between the current generation Sumo and the SPB143, I’d take the 143 again any day despite the price difference. The movement has been scary accurate, but I know others haven’t had the same experience. The proportions are all perfect, the dial and indices are gorgeous, the handset is classic, and the bezel operation is effortless and unencumbered. One can argue that the latter point is a negative if actually using the watch for diving, as the presence of a bezel shroud helps to prevent unintended adjustment, but look at how many other dive watches are designed sans shroud—practically all of them, even those costing thousands of dollars…

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was going to disagree with you, but I can't. But then again, I can't really think of a non-microbrand dive watch in this price range that I enjoy as much as theSBDC101. I love its lug design, which makes it so that this watch doesn't hang over the 12 o clock side of my wrist. I believe the SBDC 101 is a good watch that would be better a better value if it was sold without a bracelet and at a price that reflects the lack of a bracelet.

I would advise anyone to try one on first though. (That's not something you can really do with a microbrand). I don't think the sunburst dial looks as good in person as it does in photos. It's not as dark as I would like. . And this watch is definitely thicker than I like, especially with a NATO. Finally, the bracelet really isn't that comfortable for me. There's not a combo of adjustments between removing links and microadjust holes that make this watch comfortable for my 17.5cm/6.9" wrist.

Happy with it though:)
I'm not sure if you posted already, but do you have picture on wrist? Your wrist size is roughly same as mine. Regardless, cheers! :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm not really a diver guy. I like Seiko watches. I love GS (my collection easily exceeds the definiition of "a few.") I bought the SPB147 without having seen one in the flesh. I am in love with this watch. I wear it alot. First off, though I bought from an AD, one would think, after reading some comments on this forum, that I got a fake -- everything lines up and it keeps good time. ;) The "tropic brown" dial is warm and lovely. The watch is comfortable to wear. A watch is a gestalt. It's more than a movemment or a case, or a dial, or a strap. On the SPB14x everything just comes together. I will be selling off some of my other mid-range Seikos, which I no longer wear much (though not the GSes.) Any $1000 watch is a luxury. But if you have the cash for a bit of luxury, and you want this watch, then I'd say it's worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the SBDC051 and an 053. Great watches, generally; I prefer their explicitly black and blue faces, respectively. For me...make it one or the other...a black 101/043 variant will follow, eventually, I’m betting.

The 051 and 053 were initially lauded for their “smaller” size...the 101/043 clearly demonstrates the trend to smaller cases.

I’d not buy any watch because of value retention, however. The 053 and 051 were available at quite reasonable prices. Expecting them to retain value like a Submariner...not ever gonna happen...didn’t expect them to.
the spb051 was my first new watch purchase. I even got it from an AD. It looked so awesome. I loved everything about it. But after wearing it for a few days, I couldn’t stand how it looked and felt on my wrist. I sold mine at a huge loss. Like sold it for 60% of what i bought it for. I bought and flipped a few more watches. But I still thought of the SPB051.

I eventually bought and sold an SBDC053 on OEM bracelet that looked even better than the SPB051. I sold it because I reconfirmed the size and weight was just too much for my puny wrist.

I want to believe that if the SPB051 was the same size as the SPB143, i would still own it. If it were smaller than the SPB143, I would never have bought and flipped the dozen or so watches I have had since the SPB051.

To me, a smaller SPB053 on bracelet, would be my one and only watch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
And to think...the SBDC051 is only 42.6mm. The bezel is wider on the 40.5mm SBDC101/SPB043, making it even smaller.

My wrist is 7.25, so the SBDC looks about right...big...but not too big.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Who said anything about an investment ? The point I’m trying to make is that the mid tier Seikos are
Nothing more than overpriced that keep crappy time. I’ve had over 15 Seikos and still have 5 of them. And yes when compared to my Swiss pieces the mid tier don’t compete.
My Marinemaster is up there but even that piece isn’t a pimple on a mid tier Omega or Rolex ass.

I’ll leave the latex for you to pleasure yourself with during these COVID times. Like you said they are only watches so please don’t take it so personally.

I do have a few Bitcoin though. Now that’s an investment!! Probably better than my Rolex.
well look who came around to the truth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me tell you where I am in my horological journey. My collection includes mostly Seiko watches. SKX007, SKX009, SNZH51- two of which I nodded with ceramic bezels from Yobokies. I have a cocktail time as my dress watch. I have a Hexa Osprey which I really like - one day I’ll have the broken bezel spring repaired.

I gifted a Junghans Max Bill to my sister who is into design - it’s a great watch but not really my style, plus I thought she would enjoy it more.

My dad recently gave me an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - my first watch in that price tier, and I can see what quality you get for the money. He’s recently purchased Tudor, Grand Seiko and Nomos so I’ve been able to handle those for comparison. The Aqua
Tera is great horologically - double barrel METAS-certified chronometer etc, but that doesn’t really increase my enjoyment that much, although the movement is pretty to look at. As an aside, what’s better than bonding with your dad over watches?

A belated birthday present to myself, my SPB143 arrived last week from Seiya Japan - perfect alignment and great time keeping so far. Great packaging and service from Seiya - I got hurt on import taxes and a foreign transaction fee from PayPal, but it was worth the price for piece of mind that I was getting a good piece with great service from a small dealer that I wanted to support.

Is the watch worth it? Absolutely, in a nutshell. Perfect size, great fit, low profile on the wrist, great styling. A classic design that will never go out of style - almost 60 years after the original model, it still looks fresh and new.

Great lume and finishing, and the slight sunburst effect from the grey dial is terrific - not distracting and doesn’t diminish legibility. Bezel action is precise and smooth - not too loose or too tight. The coin edge bezel is perfectly executed - grippy but smooth to the touch.

The bracelet is great although the Diashield coating didn’t prevent a couple desk diving scuffs on the clasp in one week which I was surprised by. The coating gives the bracelet a slightly tacky feeling to the touch - not quite a bare metal tactile experience. I wouldn’t say bad, just different. The scuffs don’t really bother me though; I’m not a bracelet fan, and I have two straps from Haveston (via Holbens) and Crown & Buckle arriving today/tomorrow. Looking forward to trying different straps since the watch seems to be a strap monster from the pictures in this thread. The drilled lugs should make it easier to go back and forth between straps and bracelet.

I’ve thought about getting a Tudor black bay or Pelagos, but the former is too derivative of the Submariner and the latter lacks the charm of the SPB143. The Pelagos seems cold and sterile in comparison to the SPB.

The SPB sits at a nice price point - not too much that I feel self-conscious wearing it or worry about damaging the watch (scuffing my Aqua Tera would likely cause more distress). I feel like a got a great watch at a fair price, and I couldn’t care less about resale value. Honestly I can’t imagine spending more on a watch after handling the SPB. I like it as much as the Aqua Terra which costs about 3 times more than the SPB, although I’m not the kind of collector who cares too much about specs like power reserve, technical details, and accuracy (as long as it’s reasonable, after all these are mechanical watches and my iPhone is always handy for precise timekeeping).

If you’re in the market for a mid-price dive watch with decent horological credibility (in-house movement, good power reserve) and history/heritage, stop overthinking your decision and buy the damn SPB; spend your time doing other things you enjoy. After a certain point, watches are less about what they are and more about how excited you are about putting them on and how they make you feel wearing them. The SPB does it for me.

Thank you for reading this long post. Take care.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd like to update you guys on my experience with this watch. I decided to let it go due to redundancy with other watches I own. I do still think this is the best designed Seiko in the last couple years and the fit is amazing. My issues were the price point for this as Seiko has moved more upmarket without improving the quality control or accuracy. You can get eta movement watches at this price with better accuracy.

Overall it's a great watch with great wrist appeal but I think they are over priced and should be in the 600-700 range like the new alpinist. This is my honest opinion as owner of this watch and an owner of a wide range of watches. If Seiko wanted to charge this much for a watch at least improve the QC. Also the end links of the bracelet did not match the case.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts