WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without getting into another debate about browser, settings and so on...just curious if WUS is really looking into speeding up the load time of the site? It seems every thread ends in "tech guys have been notified, thread closed"

How many of you find that use this site less frequently because of the frustation involved with waiting for all the animated ads to load?

I love this place but I find I avoid it a lot more lately because of the delays. Even with Chrome and adblock it is still sluggish, at best and a bit frustrating

Anyway Mods, not whining, just curious if there is actually change coming.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'd have to agree. I do find myself not being as active here as I used to be because of the moderate hassle of slow loading/browsing. Seems it used to be much faster.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Me too. I love it here, but regardless of browsers and settings, visiting WUS has become much too frustratingly slow to participate the way I used to. It's the only site I browse that is this slow. It's a shame.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It seems to me that one of the major contributing factors is page size. If you look, for instance, at the "root" of the Public Form section, the default view displays a TON of topics. That's a lot of data to have to pull back from the server. Especially on db intensive entities like message boards. I wonder, if cutting down the page size a bit would help?

Also, the biggest factor, by far, on load time for individual threads is images. It's a tradeoff since WUS allows us to upload images from our local machines instead of hosting them external. It puts a tremendous strain on the server. And there's significantly more images posted in your average thread here than most other message boards (and larger).

If WUS forced all images to be hosted, that would speed up the process. But I think it's a rare and great feature that they allow us to easily upload.

Ironically, for me it seems the ads load pretty darn fast (external server for sure).

Finally, this site (granted I've only been here about a week) seems to do a tremendous amount of traffic for a message board. It may be time to consider a load-balancing solution to help with the concurrent connections that are all hammering the database.

...just my 2 cents. Sorry it was long. :)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have an Android Tablet/netbook and this site loads painfully slowly with any browser I use.

Fortunately, there's an app called Tapatalk that makes everything optimized for Android and everything's as snappy as it gets. I believe iOS has a tapatalk version as well.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have no problems with performance of the site. I can see why others might, but for me it has not been an issue. May just be that I don't mind waiting. I also use RSS feeds to monitor the majority of the forums that I like.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I find that the site loads quickly on my desktop (though it's pretty terrible on my phone, and Tapatalk wouldn't fit into the way I use the site).

I do have ClickToFlash installed. Have you tried that? I find that the Flash plugin is often very slow to load, and while I don't block ads in general, I don't feel any particular need to support Flash unless I actually request it.

Also, regarding the number of topics per page, the text really shouldn't be an issue. It's not much data, and any modern browser should be able to handle the rendering of a long page efficiently. I suppose signature images could be a problem, though.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It's not a matter of the browser handling a number of posts, it's more the matter of the database having to do a recursive search and pull back that amount of data, also while joining a number of tables to pull name of person posted, etc.

It's not a lot to ask a database in isolation, but when hundreds of people are doing the same thing at once, it can become an issue.

Also, regarding the number of topics per page, the text really shouldn't be an issue. It's not much data, and any modern browser should be able to handle the rendering of a long page efficiently. I suppose signature images could be a problem, though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's not a matter of the browser handling a number of posts, it's more the matter of the database having to do a recursive search and pull back that amount of data, also while joining a number of tables to pull name of person posted, etc.

It's not a lot to ask a database in isolation, but when hundreds of people are doing the same thing at once, it can become an issue.
Considering that some people (myself included) don't seem to have slowdown issues (at least not on all devices), I figure it's probably not a database issue. I could be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Considering that some people (myself included) don't seem to have slowdown issues (at least not on all devices), I figure it's probably not a database issue. I could be wrong, of course.
I don't think it's the biggest offender, just a periodic contributing factor.

I think the biggest offender is the server having to serve up so many large images, and the occasional slow loading ad (both paired with what's most likely a server that needs more up-pipe bandwidth or possibly load balancing). The serving of large images could even affect the response time on threads that have few or no images as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't know if this has to do with whats been mentioned but in the last week it was so slow on Chrome, continuously going to cache that I switched out to Mozilla to go on this forum.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
over the last week or so, from a certain computer, the site doesn't even load. my browser crashes, so i don't even log on anymore.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
For me the problem is the images. When a post is picture-heavy, my slowish broadband connection will cause many images to load only partially. This doesn't happen on picture-light posts or on picture-heavy posts on any other forum I visit. No other forum I visit allows direct image uploads, so I suspect the problem lies somewhere in there.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I don't seem to have the problems that others experience. I use Firefox, and my connection speed is nothing special. Granted, the site is slower than it used to be, and certainly slower than the other forums I visit, but only by a few seconds per page at most, so it's not unbearable at this point for me. I wonder why experiences differ. Should say I only access from my computer. I have an I-Phone, but have never used it to access the internet...I wouldn't know how..lol

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
We don't have any further information for you. We have advised often that IE8 does not work well and that Chrome and Firefox are better alternatives. Speaking personally I use Chrome and performance is OK. I have no trouble navigating, posting or moderating.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess this thread is starting to go down the same old path and that was not my intention. There is clearly a problem and as someone else mentioned, it sometimes crashes my browser. Chrome is slightly faster but still very sluggish.

Anyway, I was hoping there would be some discussion about what is actually being done, if anything. I know several friends that no longer come here because of it and I think that's a shame. I feel this thread heading to the "problem noted, thread closed" post but maybe we can get some kind of an update before that happens, if there is any update. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
There is no update. The thread is not closed.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We don't have any further information for you. We have advised often that IE8 does not work well and that Chrome and Firefox are better alternatives. Speaking personally I use Chrome and performance is OK. I have no trouble navigating, posting or moderating.
Sorry, I didn't see this answer before my last post. I guess it's either deal with it or go elsewhere. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Also, the biggest factor, by far, on load time for individual threads is images. It's a tradeoff since WUS allows us to upload images from our local machines instead of hosting them external. It puts a tremendous strain on the server. And there's significantly more images posted in your average thread here than most other message boards (and larger).

If WUS forced all images to be hosted, that would speed up the process.
It's good that WUS hosts the images. That means they'll be there as long as WUS is here. I hate broken photobucket image links.

I do wish WUS would limit the size of uploaded images, though. Really large images make scrolling stutter, even after they finish loading.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts