WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In original box. Bought 1975 at USAF store in Germany. 18k marked. Tiny Omega mark on face plastic. Gold finish (eta?) movement marked 1140 46j. Where is serial number? Highest jewel count for Omega auto?
Fine fake?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
In original box. Bought 1975 at USAF store in Germany. 18k marked. Tiny Omega mark on face plastic. Gold finish (eta?) movement marked 1140 46j. Where is serial number? Highest jewel count for Omega auto?
Fine fake?
The watch appears to be real. The movement is an Omega 1140 which is based on the ETA 2890-2 with the attached Dubois-Dépraz chronograph module. 46 jewels and the gold plating are correct. The serial number would be usually be on the case back. Why not ask the seller for the serial number and a clearer picture?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
It is indeed authentic and appears to be a 12th generation Speedmaster produced in 1988-89 with the cal. 1140 movement. The exact model number should be engraved on the inside of the caseback.

Note that the subdials at 3:00 and 9:00 are reversed from the Speedmaster Professional.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Jimh and jmsrolls: Very astute observations. It is not marked 18K. Came from son of original owner who was in Germany for USAF in 1975. I did not
know Omega sold gold plated speedmasters. It must be a cheap one. (Did you mean mvmt.
plating only?)

The more I know the more I know how little I know.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Jimh and jmsrolls: Very astute observations. It is not marked 18K. Came from son of original owner who was in Germany for USAF in 1975. I did not
know Omega sold gold plated speedmasters. It must be a cheap one. (Did you mean mvmt.
plating only?)

The more I know the more I know how little I know.
By "gold plated" I was referring to the movement finish only. If the watch is indeed marked 18K then the gold parts of the watch would be solid 18K gold.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The gold you see on the outside is 18K. The movement is merely a yellow gilt that contains no gold.

And yes, Omega has made a number of gold-filled and gold-capped watches over the years.

Again, the number on the inside of the caseback would be very helpful.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fr. John: appreciate your help. Never saw the lightly inscribed K.B. and
175 0033 in back. Last 3? is mostly missing. I cannot now find 18k mark
anywhere.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Is the bracelet still on the watch? If so, you would not be able to see the area behind the link ends between the lugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts