WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, maybe you guys can help. A friend of mine is planning to buy her husband an Omega Speedmaster 1957 50th year commemorative watch for his 50th birthday.
As she went to the AD, it turns out that there are 2 editions of this watch.:roll: The Speedmaster 1957 50th year Limited edition with a cal.1861 manual movement, with "only" 5,957 made and a Speedmaster 1957 Special Edition, with a co-axial automatic movement and a see thru caseback. The difference in price of the 2 editions is around 500 dollars, with the co-axial being the more expensive one.
My intial advise was to stick to the classic Speedmaster with the manual wind cause it's much closer to the watch that was being commemorated, but on the other hand, the coaxial is a superior movement and is automatic. Right now were both confused on which one to buy. Maybe you guys can give your 2 cents worth...:think:All i can say is, what a lucky husband.:)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Lucky husband, indeed. Just to clarify a couple of things, there are actually five 50th Anniversary models, though the other three are in various types of gold. Also, none of them use automatic movements. Omega actually removed the rotor from the base movement to create the c.3201.

As in most cases, it comes down to personal preference. The two watches you mention are different in appearance. While the c.1861 has the hippocampus on the dial,

the steel c3201 has an enamel dial with old style logo and LE number.

Whether the c.3201 is a superior movement is a matter of opinion, and my humble one is that it's not. Personally, I'd choose the Lemania c.1861 any day. Over the last 30 plus years, it's proven to been rugged, durable, and reliable. The newer c.3xxx might be more sophisticated, with its Co-axial escapement, but I don't consider it superior.

If given the choice, well, I'd choose the standard Professional, if only for the cleaner, classic dial. But, if I were to choose between the two you mention, I'd go with the c.1861. Just my opinion.

eric

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Me too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks eric, sjackal and fergie. very informative, thought the co-axial was automatic. were leaning towards the 1861 fyi.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
thanks eric, sjackal and fergie. very informative, thought the co-axial was automatic. were leaning towards the 1861 fyi.
There's sometimes some confusion about the term "Co-axial." The co-axial escapement is merely a component of certain movements. Most of Omega's movements that utilize this escapement are autos, but not this one. Omega simply stripped off the rotor, presumably to retain that hand-wound tradition.

eric

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok, another question...i have an old speedmaster with a cal.861 movement, is this the same as the cal.1861?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OTOH, this one has the 1957 on the dial! In our case, 1957 is the year we were married. Granted it has the new fangled c.3313 which had 'birthing problems'. If Omega has tended to those problems as they claim to have, then their production in the last 2 years + or - should be ok. I got this one in Aug. 2007, and so far so good! All functions working flawlessly.

Ref: 321.10.42.50.02.001

·
Registered
279 Posts
Got the '57 as well. Had it since late september...running smooth, +1-2 sec pr week.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice watch roger, and a happy 50th anniversary!:)

etch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts