WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again,
This post was posted last week and unfortunatley went way OT and lost any meaning regarding its original purpose. I am reposting it following consultation with the Moderators (who will copy across the relevant replies from the previous post, thanks Epatz); we feel the topic is worth exploring as a matter of potential interest for Speedmaster cognescenti.
So here it is again...

I recently acquired this 145022-69 Pre-Moon Speedmaster Pro that's the same vintage as me. After receiving it and fiddling/cleaning it as you do I realised the bezel's Tachy scale was unusual:

Instead of the normal countdown :- 275-250-225-200-190 etc
This one's runs:- 275-250-225-220-190 etc

Here's the pic

I've attached below a couple of Macro shots of the area if the bezel in question.

So is this '220 bezel' unusual/un-common?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I remember this post. I also know how out of hand it got. Anyway, you brought up an interesting topic. I always used to look where the dot was in relation to the 90, but now its looking for the 220 now.
It's also not the first time Omega have put the wrong text on the dial. There is the Speedmaster on a Seamaster (I think Fr John has that one) aand I remeber one on TZ that used to pop up evey mow and again on a chrono that had the numbers going in a random, rather than numerical order.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
This bezel is simply incorrect the 220 should read 200.

This is easy to see since the this mark is at the 18 second location. If you were measuring speed and traversed a measured mile in 18 seconds then you would be traveling at 60 * (60 / 18) = 200 MPH.

So this bezel has a misprint at this location. Whether this mistake was originally made by Omega or whether this is a mistake on a generic replacement bezel is open to debate.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Thanks for reposting this topic, Statts. I know I promised to move the useful posts over from the other thread, but because of the date stamp, on those earlier posts, it really messes up this thread.

Hopefully, the individuals who posted helpful responses will repost them, here.

eric

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Interesting......

Some thoughts.......
Did Omega get the misprints from a subcontrator and didn't notice them till some of the watches had left the factory. Maybe a subcontractor
that did the printing shipped direct to a Omega OEM parts house and
the misprint was not caught in time. I'm sure things like that happen.
Or it was an aftermarket manufacture that was just screwsed up to begin
with and Omega had no control over the situation. Plenty on non-OEM
parts out there. Who knows? I've not seen another and I'd be interested to know where those came from.
jim

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input folks :-! if Chuck could shed some light in this I'd be very grateful.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I edited and deleted a few posts in this thread. Really, this topic was reposted to discuss the bezel, not the argument that surrounded the original post.

eric

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just noticed this as well on my speedy. It would seem that the bezel appears to originate from around the '70s, judging from the age of my example.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it looks like there are few more examples out there. It'd be interesting to find out if it was a batch of watches that had the 220 Bezel that escaped QC or they purposely changed the tachy scale for a while then went back.
@ST I thought the applied logo dial (like yours) changed in 1968, not the early 70s?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts