WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i would like your inputs on whether i should purchase the speedmaster 38mm (324.33.38.40.04.001) or planet ocean 37.5mm (222.30.38.50.01.001). i like both watches alot and cannot decide.
maybe you can advise me on the style, functionality, resale value and such? thank you!

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
sounds a daft question but why the ladies size PO. think you should try both on and the right one will scream at you. thats what i did with the PO and smp, then wanting another omega to go with the smp so again tried PO and the speedy pro and speedy pro screamed out to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds a daft question but why the ladies size PO. think you should try both on and the right one will scream at you. thats what i did with the PO and smp, then wanting another omega to go with the smp so again tried PO and the speedy pro and speedy pro screamed out to me.
lol, cus im a lady! :-d

i gather you're not a PO fan?
i think the PO looks more versatile - sporty and formal whereas the speedy looks just sporty.
also, the PO looks more sturdy and less volatile than the speedy.
but the white speedy is more outstanding and a less common colour, as compared to the typical black PO.

so.... :-s

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
that explains the ladies size lol its not that i am not a PO fan just something else as grabbed my attention. The speedy can be dressed up or down with different straps on but I think many of omegas do this, thats the beauty on omegas. I would just be concerned about the movements in these two, not the best of movements. do think the speedy looks very lady like and to me looks both sporty and smart. but like i said i would try them both on in a AD and the right one will scream at you, if that doesn't work buy them both lol

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
that explains the ladies size lol its not that i am not a PO fan just something else as grabbed my attention. The speedy can be dressed up or down with different straps on but I think many of omegas do this, thats the beauty on omegas. I would just be concerned about the movements in these two, not the best of movements. do think the speedy looks very lady like and to me looks both sporty and smart. but like i said i would try them both on in a AD and the right one will scream at you, if that doesn't work buy them both lol
Doesn't matter which one you get first, because, if you've been bitten by the bug, eventually you will wind up owning both. If it's a chronagraph you want, then get a Speedy Pro. At just 3 mm bigger, they don't wear that large. In fact, Stanna Katic, the actress, wears one, in her role as Kate Beckett, on Castle. I wear a 42mm PO, and pull it off nicely. There are many pics of it on my wrist. Check out my PO on rubber thread, that just popped back up near the top. My sweet spot is 36-37mm diameter watches, but going a little bigger is fine, and adds more variety to my rotation. I have two 36mm Omegas, one 38mm Omega, and one 42mm Omega, as well as my 40mm Pro. I just gave a 36mm Omega to my daughter, who is a tiny little thing. I had to remove every removable link to size it for her, and it looks great, especially with her ink sleeve as its backround. It has a baby blue MOP dial. My take on the ladies' POC, is that the dial appears too cluttered, and the only Omega chronograph that is a "must have" is the "Speedy Pro", though the ladies' black MOP dial (sans diamonds) Speedy, has caught my eye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, it's great to get a lady's input. The 42mm PO orange is sweeeet! Watch forums seem to be dominated by the men! Lol. I think I might be going for the speedy pro. Would you guys recommend getting the model with the metal bracelet and buying the leather strap after market separately, or just go ahead and buy the watch with its original leather strap?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The Planet Ocean is a fantastic watch. No question. But the Speedy is an established classic. It's a tough call. I was kind of in your shoes and I chose to go with the 45.5mm PO first and save for just the right Speedy at a later date.

The bottom line is that you can't really go wrong with either one and chances are good (as others already pointed out) that you'll end up with both in the long run anyway.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
speedy pro would be a great choice buy some aftermarket straps afterwards to change the look. the speedy pro as a great movement to me one of the best chronographs. good luck and dont forget to come back on with pics.

·
Premium Member
7,019 Posts
My wife wears a 40mm Speedmaster Date (OMEGA Watches: Speedmaster Date - Steel on steel - 3210.51.00). Since she's petite, it's a little loose on her even with all of the possible links removed. But she wears it off nicely. She wants a men mid-size Aqua Terra or orange PO next. Along with her obsession with Louboutin and Hermes, this is going to get expensive!

Men watches for women is a fashionable trend but not every girl can pull it off. You should try on the Speedmaster Pro before buying.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Definitely, buy it on the bracelet first, then start getting into leather straps for it. Last week I started a Speedy thread. Check out all the different pics. I have an older Pro, and prefer how it looks on leather. There are many very affordable strap choices that look awesome. Good luck, and please stick around. Sometimes I get lonely, being the only female regular around here.
The guys are cool, though.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Definitely, buy it on the bracelet first, then start getting into leather straps for it
Great advice when buying ANY watch. The bracelets are NOT cheap on the after market. I always buy any new watch on the bracelet and then add leather/rubber whatever straps at a later date. That way, if I decide I want the metal bracelet, I don't get soaked by the cost or frustrated by trying to find one used or whatnot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all your time, suggestions and inputs. I think the choice is clear! However, for the leather strap of the speedmaster (which I'm more interested in) I understand the clasp is pretty expensive - as expensive as the bracelet itself. How true is that?

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
it is expensive so i opted for a Hirsch sports clasp, works really well and still looks good. also you can place this on most straps, were as omegas clasp you have to buy a deployant strap or modify the straps. it all boils down to you again spend a lot of money on omega deployant or spend less and buy an aftermarket deployant.
here is my speedy on hirsch sport deployant and hirsch mobile.

I have changed the fitting since the pics so the strap now fits better to the watch

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Here's mine on a high qualith stainless steel unbranded butterfly deployment clasp. strap and band together cost me $35.00:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your help guys (and girl)!!! I really appreciate it. Overload of information for a omega newbie! Ordered the white speedy alr! Will post pictures when it arrives!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts