WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to get a Speedmaster but cant really justify one new. What issues should I look for in used and how much should I figure on spending? Good condition, I dont need perfect. 8-9/10 I'd say.

·
Banned
102 Posts
I’ve done both. The one I currently have was bought on WUS, new. With that said, if you have patience (read = more patience than me), you’ll find 8-9 references with the whole kit for $2600-3k on here from time to time.

The Speedy Pro moonwatch is a reference I’ve had in my collection 4 times. Each time, I’ve sold it to “upgrade” or for other financial goals. Each time, I’ve been filled with regret.

Good luck with your search. Look for the full kit, all the boxes and accessories. Most common wear issue is bottom of clasp from desk diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
There are a ton of different models so pricing is all over the place. Buy from a repeatable used dealer like Topper or DavidSW who check out their watches and makes sure they are running well etc before selling and you won’t have any worries

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve done both. The one I currently have was bought on WUS, new. With that said, if you have patience (read = more patience than me), you’ll find 8-9 references with the whole kit for $2600-3k on here from time to time.

The Speedy Pro moonwatch is a reference I’ve had in my collection 4 times. Each time, I’ve sold it to “upgrade” or for other financial goals. Each time, I’ve been filled with regret.

Good luck with your search. Look for the full kit, all the boxes and accessories. Most common wear issue is bottom of clasp from desk diving.

Thanks for the advice. What would be an "upgrade" from a Speedy? Honestly the "full kit" doesnt concern me so I might be able to save a buck by just buying the watch...

·
Banned
102 Posts
Then, if you’re looking for a Speedy Pro, you really should be able to find a great price.

To answer your question, Breitling Navtimer World, and IWC Portuguese

·
Registered
326 Posts
You could also look into grey market pricing for brand new. Some members here seem to have connections that can even beat Joma and still include factory warranties.

I got mine from an AD with a 15% discount.

If you get one with the full set you could always try to sell the set for a few hundred here or on eBay.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
I own an IWC Portugieser Chronograph Automatic and an Omega Speedmaster Professional.

Both are mechanical Chronograph Watches, but their similarity pretty much ends there.

The Omega Moonwatch boasts higher water resistance and has a manual-wind mechanical movement (as close to an in-house movement as you can obtain).

The IWC Portugieser/Portuguese Chronograph Automatic is more dressy and has a Valjoux 7750 automatic mechanical movement (presumably modified).

The Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch's chronograph counts up to 12 hours, compared to the Portugieser Chronograph's 30-minute chronograph counter.

In Australia, the IWC retails for over 70% more than the Omega. My understanding is that the IWC in the US of A does not retail anywhere near as much as it does here, so perhaps the price difference is a lot smaller there.

Attachments

Reactions: huntflyer

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Speedmasterr reducedis cheaper normally and aautomatic

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The Speedmasterr reducedis cheaper normally and aautomatic
This, and the Speedmaster Date auto is often quite affordable as well if you aren't stuck on the traditional Speedy Pro.

For any used Speedy, be sure to consider the cost of a service if it hasn't had one in in the last 10 years. This can bring the total cost close to the grey market/few year old Speedy.

I got mine LNIB with warranty, a few months old, from a reputable vendor on WUS for less than the grey market price. Grey market price is compelling, but if you have any issues, you might be stuck for the repair costs.

If you don't care about the full kit, you can either save money not getting it (and the newer kits are a pain to store!), or you can sell the extra straps, box, tools and recover some cash.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check the ref number. The newest pro, .005 comes in the big suitcase box and the difference is the screw links. But Id just make sure full set is in tact in case you wanna swap it out but its a great watch to own and great value. Easy to flip if you every change your mind!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. What is the Speedmaster Reduced? Also where is this"Grey Market"?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
The
Speedmaster reduced is a smaller watch. The case including the crown is 39mm and the bezel is only about 36mm. It is also automatic (the pro is manual wind). If you have a larger wrist (bigger than about 7”) the reduced might be a bit too small for you.
I love mine.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh - the grey market is the name given to shops that sell new watches that isn’t an authorised dealer (AD).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Buying a new (used) speedie - the thrill of the chase!

OP, I have just completed the purchase of my own first speedie. Everyone will have a different approach but in my case I took my time and did my research to be sure I would get the exact model that I wanted.
Initially I read the various reviews of the many different types of speedies out there. Eventually I narrowed it down to either a Pro or Reduced. I just love the black dial look.
I very nearly bought a reduced from a local seller but when I tried it on I just was not mad about it. Purely a matter of taste

So my attention went back to the pro and I dug in the details there.

My budget ruled out getting anything earlier than the 1970s and eventually I decided to get one from the latest transition period, the late 90s when tritium and cal 861 was phased out in favour of superlumova and cal 1861. Having a tritium dial was a must for me.

Then it was a case of biding my time until the right watch at the right price came available. Getting a watch with a box was important to me.

And then the watch I wanted was offered for sale from a japanese seller. Research on the seller gave me a lot of confidence to go for it.
Watch has a serial number 483842xx which is a pro with a tritium dial and cal 1861 movement. Dates from late 98 from what I can see. The watch was in excellent condition and came with box and operating instructions.
I am in europe so after some kerfuffle with customs it was delivered 10 days after ordering and I am over the moon with it. Pardon the pun. Cant stop looking at my wrist.

TLDR: Do your research. Figure out what model you want. Be patient. Enjoy the chase!

·
Banned
134 Posts
a good speedy will run you around 3k, which i think is a great deal for such a lovely timepiece. a speedy is the kind of a watch you can hold for a lifetime

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buying a new (used) speedie - the thrill of the chase!

OP, I have just completed the purchase of my own first speedie. Everyone will have a different approach but in my case I took my time and did my research to be sure I would get the exact model that I wanted.
Initially I read the various reviews of the many different types of speedies out there. Eventually I narrowed it down to either a Pro or Reduced. I just love the black dial look.
I very nearly bought a reduced from a local seller but when I tried it on I just was not mad about it. Purely a matter of taste

So my attention went back to the pro and I dug in the details there.

My budget ruled out getting anything earlier than the 1970s and eventually I decided to get one from the latest transition period, the late 90s when tritium and cal 861 was phased out in favour of superlumova and cal 1861. Having a tritium dial was a must for me.

Then it was a case of biding my time until the right watch at the right price came available. Getting a watch with a box was important to me.

And then the watch I wanted was offered for sale from a japanese seller. Research on the seller gave me a lot of confidence to go for it.
Watch has a serial number 483842xx which is a pro with a tritium dial and cal 1861 movement. Dates from late 98 from what I can see. The watch was in excellent condition and came with box and operating instructions.
I am in europe so after some kerfuffle with customs it was delivered 10 days after ordering and I am over the moon with it. Pardon the pun. Cant stop looking at my wrist.

TLDR: Do your research. Figure out what model you want. Be patient. Enjoy the chase!
Awesome story, thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
If you’re willing to spend 3k used, then wait a bit and get a new one for $3300 to $3500

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you’re willing to spend 3k used, then wait a bit and get a new one for $3300 to $3500

But to me there is no advantage to new when used is in great condition. I mean I have the cash, its just allocated for other things. Used puts $500 - $1000 in my pocket for another watch...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

But to me there is no advantage to new when used is in great condition. I mean I have the cash, its just allocated for other things. Used puts $500 - $1000 in my pocket for another watch...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts