WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speedmaster dial refinishing / replacement help

my wife just bought a nice 74 model Speedmaster Professional for me. The tritium is totally burned out and turned dark brown. I would like to have the dial/hands relumed. The indicies are so dark now, they almost blend into the black dial.

I have sent lots of watches off for repairs and relumes (mainly Doxas and Seiko Dive watches) I sent a SM300to Bienne for a restoration, but never a Speedmaster. I would prefer not to send it to Bienne as they will want to do a complete restoration. Are there any watch restorers that any of the Omega folks would recommend. I would suspect that there are folks out there who specialze in Omegas.

Thanks very much in advance. no photos as the watch is under the tree for Christmas!!

Arthur

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Speedmaster dial refinishing/ replacement help

Didn't get any response to my first question, but really would appreciate help.

Also having read a few older posts with recommendations that rather than reluming, etc. It would be better to replace the dial and hands, and save the original dial/hands in case myself or someone in the future decides to restore the watch to it's original condition.

Any recommendations as to who I could send my Speedmaster to, to have a dial and hand replacement done?
Thanks
Arthur

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Re: Speedmaster dial refinishing/ replacement help

This is something that can be done by almost any competent watch repair person. The parts (dial and hands) are available from sources such as Otto Frei. This should be straightforward and you still keep the original parts of the watch intact.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have no first-hand experience with them but Industrial Watch Works seems to be a pretty popular place for this kind of thing.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Firstly, congrats and welcome to the Speedy Club. As I've said, probably too many times before, there's not a watch I'd rather own.

In my opinion, old Speedies are precious and should be preserved as well as possible. That being said, as a gift from your wife, I doubt that you should be concerned with resale value. So, if you want to relume it; relume it. Bassoon mentioned IWW, and I've also heard nothing but praise for them.

On the other hand, replacement dials and hands are easy to find and, as Joe said, can be replaced by any competent watchmaker. You might check prices and see which is more reasonable.

Good luck in your decision...and we'd love to see pics, if you have them.

eric

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot fellows. I appreciate the help. I've had a couple of SM300 Seamasters in the past, but not a Speedy. Looking forward to the unveiling Christmas morning!! I've seen a couple of photos, as she needed my help to find one.

I've had [email protected] do work on several watches and his work is outstanding. Only problem is he is so popular, wait time is stretching into several months.

I think that what I am going to do is find a good watchmaker, get a replacement dial and hands/ I will keep the take off parts for future use perhaps. Any suggestions as to watchmakers any of you have used and could recommend?

Is Otto Frei the only source of dials and hands here in the USA?

Thanks
Arthur

1 - 6 of 6 Posts