Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Sell the hesalite and buy the 2021 sapphire

Votes: 16 48.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd share my first world problem / dilemma and try to keep it short. I recently bought the last version of the hesalite 1861 Speedmaster right after my son was born. I figured it would be neat to pass this down to him one day as a "birth year" watch. However, I have owned a speedmaster 4 different times (1971 straight-writing, a 2016 big-box set, a 2005 1861, and recently the 2020 big box set). I have sold the previous 3 for various reasons, but I clearly keep coming back to the speedmaster.

I think the new sapphire release for 2021 ticks all the boxes for me on what I was ultimately looking for, including applied logo, step dial (I loved that detail on my '71), view of the movement, and tapered bracelet. I am not much of a space nerd; I actually gravitate to auto racing history. As such, "moonwatch" lineage is less important to me than to others.

In summary, my dilemma is as follows:
1. Keep the last version of the 1861 hesalite / birth year watch for my son...(who knows if he will like watches though)
2. Sell the hesalite and buy the Sapphire because it has more of what I am looking for in a watch

One thing to note is I also have an Explorer 1 114270 given to me from my dad to pass down to my son one day. Here is a theoretical scenario (that did not happen, but provides mental context). If I look back and theoretically imagine my dad having a dilemma in 1988 to buy the last version of the Explorer 1 1016 to pass down to me or to get the latest and greatest Explorer 14270 with some significant and attractive updates, I think I would have been much happier today with the 1016.

What would you do in this situation? Is anyone else having a similar dilemma to buy the new version vs keeping the old version of the speedmaster?

63219524618--63F2CDA8-EECF-4D62-A56D-F75A9BE0FA79.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
It seems like you prefer the 3861 sapphire and wouldve gone with it had that choice been available. For that reason I think it make sense for you to switch.

For me, I have a hestalite and prefer that, so the birth year would very more meaningful.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
No dilemma there for me. Keep the older hesalite historical classic model...whatever one you have. Its the model that went to the moon. All the others, special edition and now the new ones....meh

It has been used since 1964...it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Personally I would see this as two options:

• You bought it right after your son was born. I would keep it for that reason. Makes a better story when you eventually give him the watch. There will always be something new, shiny and arguably better. Upgrading and changing the watch over the years just loses its original intent and meaning.
  • Let go of the idea of passing on an old watch and just buy whatever you like for yourself. Simply buy your son a new watch when he is 18. Educate him about watches, get some input on what he likes. I know watch enthusiast love the idea of heirlooms and passing things on. But 100% of the kids in my family would greatly prefer this option. It is what my dad did and I'd argue I was more happy with the watch because of it and it does not make it any less meaningful.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I would see this as two options:

• You bought it right after your son was born. I would keep it for that reason. Makes a better story when you eventually give him the watch. There will always be something new, shiny and arguably better. Upgrading and changing the watch over the years just loses its original intent and meaning.
  • Let go of the idea of passing on an old watch and just buy whatever you like for yourself. Simply buy your son a new watch when he is 18. Educate him about watches, get some input on what he likes. I know watch enthusiast love the idea of heirlooms and passing things on. But 100% of the kids in my family would greatly prefer this option. It is what my dad did and I'd argue I was more happy with the watch because of it and it does not make it any less meaningful.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I like your "option 2" right now, but that will probably change to Option 1 in the next 30 minutes...hence the dilemma haha!

I feel like I do a great job of representing the "I" in WIS.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Selling can be a pain in the butt at times but if you're up for that I say go for the new 2021 model. It sounds like you would have bought that one had it been available at the time. Being highly antimagnetic is a nice plus given that many more items include small but strong magnets these days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your intent is to pass it along to your son, why get rid of his birth year Speedy?

Also, keep the 1861. If you want an updated model, buy one in 5 years. Those will always be available. The 1861 is a tested and known quantity that you won’t be able to buy new anymore.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I say sell it and buy what you want to wear. Put away some money and on his birthday take him to pick out his own. If he becomes attached to one of his old man’s watches that’s great but even better would be to watch him get what he truly loves. (And by doing so, you get to get the watch you want)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It seems like you don't care about the legacy of the moonwatch and just admire the watch for what it is.

I'd sell the old, get in with the new, wear the crap out of it and then pass it on your son.

One day, when he touches it or puts it on, he has to be able to feel the journey you went on wearing your watch. It has to bring back memories of him looking at your watch on YOUR wrist.

What I remember is my father wearing his datejust and that's precious to me, not that its a datejust, its HIS datejust.

Best thing about memories is making them.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I recently bought the last version of the hesalite 1861 Speedmaster right after my son was born. I figured it would be neat to pass this down to him one day as a "birth year" watch.
This part got me. Can you imagine how cool it would be if your Dad not only handed you a birth year watch, purchased in your birth year, but it was a Speedmaster as well? That would be brilliant! I know, no guarantees the little guy will even like watches, but still.

I’m going to advocate a 1% solution to you self proclaimed first world dilemma.

Get both. 🙂

·
Premium Member
11,840 Posts
It seems like you don't care about the legacy of the moonwatch and just admire the watch for what it is.

I'd sell the old, get in with the new, wear the crap out of it and then pass it on your son.

One day, when he touches it or puts it on, he has to be able to feel the journey you went on wearing your watch. It has to bring back memories of him looking at your watch on YOUR wrist.

What I remember is my father wearing his datejust and that's precious to me, not that its a datejust, its HIS datejust.

Best thing about memories is making them.

Good luck with your decision.
^this

We think of our kids as wearing our watch, while they’ll likely see it as wearing our memory.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I say make the trade. You'll enjoy it while it's yours, and your son will dig it when it becomes his. It's a win-win.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My dad is never into watches like my mom. He’s always a watch guy. He’s getting older now and don’t wear his watch any more. My mom just keeps it in a safe and it’ll be pass on to me. I’ve thought about this as it comes up a lot on this forum that I’d rather have his watch than a watch that he bought for me on my birth year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If your going to hand down your watch to your son, I dont think it matters what version it is. For now it's your watch to create the memories with. Personally I really like the 1861 although i may purchase the braclet from the 3861 in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
Keep. I like the new one but I prefer the earlier version which I also have. More charm. Less bling.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Get the 3861. It is the one you want and therefore, the one you are more likely to keep and wear often. When you hand this down, your kid will cherish it because it was yours and they saw you were it often. It will be a reminder to them of the time they had with you. That won't happen if you don't get the watch you want and end up not wearing it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Get the one you want, you're the one who's going to enjoy it (at least for now). Who knows if your kid will be even remotely interested in watches when yours gets passed down.

My opinion is, if the watch is something your kid sees you wear throughout your life and one that you obviously enjoy, that will make the watch special for him as a reminder of you.

Reactions: JJ312

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If I was in your shoes I would not sell the birth year Speedy just to get the 2021, even if I prefer the 2021.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts