WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Recently purchased 3577.50 ... something I've been eying for far too long :)

I've read of being able to buff out scratches from the crystal, but more than anything, I want to prevent them from happening.

Has anyone had success sizing an Invisible Shield from Zagg?
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/watch/generic

It would seem we'd have to order a generic size, and I know that Omega's sizing is not always the same as the way others measure.

Does anyone use these?

Feedback much appreciated! So happy to have my first Speedy!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
It's going to be a pain in the you know where to fit an invisishield to such a curved piece of hesalite.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going to be a pain in the you know where to fit an invisishield to such a curved piece of hesalite.
The watch came with a bit of a face protector... a very flexible bit of plastic. I'm open to other suggestions as well?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
The watch came with a bit of a face protector... a very flexible bit of plastic. I'm open to other suggestions as well?
Mindful wear and a yearly treatment of Polywatch. Trust me, I know you want to protect your investment, but the Hesalite is really the least of your worries :-!

Imagine a solid knock on a wall, dinging the bezel ring and the side of the lug... :-x

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback everyone.

Anyone know how much it costs in CAD or USD to replace the crystal if needed?

I have no problem shelling out the $10, I'm just not sure what size to order.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
I hate to drag out the old analogy once again, but, to me, sticking a piece of plastic on the sculpture-like hesalite crystal is really like having plastic covers for your nice sofa or armchair. I happen to think things that are meant to be used look better, or more natural, with a little bit of wear or patina. I'd rather just wear it and accept that at one point I'll have to use a little Polywatch, or perhaps, at worst, replace the crystal (aren't they like $40 USD?) come service time, than suffer the indignity of marring an otherwise pared down and embellishment-free design as iconic as the Speedmaster's. Of course, it's your watch, so.... Best of luck whatever you decide. Just keep in mind the saying I've seen so often written here, "Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you...." Or something to that effect. :-!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with Dixan.
Putting plastic on top of the hesalite is extremely tacky.
And believe me, invisible shields aren't completely invisible.
It will take away from the elegant look of the watch and make it look cheap.
If you wear the watch carefully, you won't have to worry much about scratches.
And when they do come, some Polywatch, or even tootpaste, will take care of that.
If scratches were that much a concern to you, you should've gotten a different watch.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Putting a plastic shield on a beautiful watch is like putting plastic covers on you $4K leather couch.:-s There is no way its really gonna be "invisible." I put this crap on the front of my Porsche and 1 month later I had it removed because it looked like orange peal.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
speedy49, good idea but I doubt it will work.

replacing hesalite cost like $20 and buffing out the scratches yourself $0 . I been wearing mine for year now and no apparent scratches visible on hesalite. I think one hesalite dome last for one lifetime when taken care of (ocassional buffing once in 5years or so)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I hate to drag out the old analogy once again, but, to me, sticking a piece of plastic on the sculpture-like hesalite crystal is really like having plastic covers for your nice sofa or armchair. I happen to think things that are meant to be used look better, or more natural, with a little bit of wear or patina. I'd rather just wear it and accept that at one point I'll have to use a little Polywatch, or perhaps, at worst, replace the crystal (aren't they like $40 USD?) come service time, than suffer the indignity of marring an otherwise pared down and embellishment-free design as iconic as the Speedmaster's. Of course, it's your watch, so.... Best of luck whatever you decide. Just keep in mind the saying I've seen so often written here, "Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you...." Or something to that effect. :-!
I agree with Dixan, particularly the bolded sentence. I've never seen a Speedmaster that looks better than this:

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wouldn't bother either. Another analogy would be those hideous car bras you often see in the US. I'd rather have the scratches, they look much better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, I appreciate everyone's input... if all it is is $20-$40 to replace the hesalite i'd be fine with that. Can someone confirm this?

I have a rolex sub and managed to scratch the crystal badly, still not sure how, because that thing is impossible to scratch. It cost a fortune to replace - and didn't want to have to go through that again, even at the expense of looking 'tacky'.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You don't want those invisible shields. I have them on my Iphone and dust, dirt, grime, and fuzz will get under it. I ended up tossing it out after a couple weeks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a rolex sub and managed to scratch the crystal badly, still not sure how, because that thing is impossible to scratch. It cost a fortune to replace - and didn't want to have to go through that again, even at the expense of looking 'tacky'.
It's not impossible to scratch sapphire. AFAIK someone with a diamond ring or a watch with diamonds bezel could easily scratch sapphire. Maybe it was your loved one with her diamond ring? (just guessing)

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
You don't want those invisible shields. I have them on my Iphone and dust, dirt, grime, and fuzz will get under it. I ended up tossing it out after a couple weeks.
This is the specific Invisi-shield. It has to be installed onto the phone by wetting the film with a special solution and wrapping the phone with it then letting it dry.
I did mine over two years ago aside from a couple edges (the only place anything can even get into) it looks like it did when I first installed.

That being said, it is clear, but a certain thickness. Don't know how you'd cover a curved crystal with it. I can only see it working with flat.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts