WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scanning this forum and have been amazed at what I've learnt.
Many thanks in assisting me in spending more money;-)
I have a story attached to a Speedy Pro Moonphase for you all.
Back in 1989 a friend down on his luck sold me his Speedmaster Pro bought in Brent Cross shopping centre in London. The sum of £425 was given for the watch sans boxes or paperwork and the comment passed was
'It's an unusual one-its got a date and moonphase'
I thought nothing of it.
It was worn a few times but I had an active job then and flexing my wrist caused the deployant to pop open too often for comfort.
I went back to my Submariner.
Roll on to 1998 and realising it was not getting worn I sold it through a Watch magazine for open bids. My suspicions were raised when a guy bit my hand off when I accepted an offer for £2000!
If only i knew what I know now!
I took the cash and put it in shares and multiplied the cash a fair bit through wise investments.
It's now 2006 and I wish I'd kept the damn watch!
How rare were the original full size moonphases?
And while i'm here can Omega please introduce a full size Speedy Pro with automatic movement, display back, classic acrylic glass and an offset 4 o'clock white on black date window.
it would be the new 'Grail' for me.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Back in 1989 a friend down on his luck sold me his Speedmaster Pro bought in Brent Cross shopping centre in London. The sum of £425 was given for the watch sans boxes or paperwork and the comment passed was
I thought nothing of it.
It was worn a few times but I had an active job then and flexing my wrist caused the deployant to pop open too often for comfort.
Roll on to 1998 and realising it was not getting worn I sold it through a Watch magazine for open bids. My suspicions were raised when a guy bit my hand off when I accepted an offer for £2000!
I took the cash and put it in shares and multiplied the cash a fair bit through wise investments.
And while i'm here can Omega please introduce a full size Speedy Pro with automatic movement, display back, classic acrylic glass and an offset 4 o'clock white on black date window.
Anyone else?
I'd rather have your moonphase back. ;-)

Reminds me of the time a buddy talked me into buying $1000 worth of stock in this startup company. I doubled my money a year later when I sold it but wish I still owned those shares in FedEx.

Your "Grail" may appear some day as the marketing guys take more control. They could care less about history and tradition. But be prepared, they'll probably add diamond markers for some "bling". :-D

Fr. John+

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Anyone else?
While waiting for Omega to release a watch with your full list of requirements, you can always try to find a 376.0822 Speedmaster. At least you would get the full size case, hesalite crystal, and a great automatic movement (calibre 1045). It's a start... ;-)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Great (and tragic) story

Oh, we're good at that but, believe me, we do it to ourselves, too ;-)
I thought nothing of it.
That's a great (and tragic) story. It's a blessing and a curse (ok, 99.9% blessing) that guys like Chuck, Steve, Eric So, Jean-Michael and others have helped bring to light so much great information about Omegas.
Speaking of...

Photo borrowed from Chuck Maddox
The original ref.145.0809 was limited to 1300 pieces, according to Chuck's Moonphase page here.

The existing model may be a bit prettier, with it's spruced up moon disc and metal borders on the subdials...

But, I don't know what I'd give for one of the originals.
Anyone else?
Now, you're talkin! Steve Waddington snapped this photo of Omega Museum curator, Marco Richon's Speedy Pro prototype.

The c.1861-based movement isn't an auto, but I'd still take it. Seeing how Swatch has chosen to cease c.5100 production, we can forget about a new c.1045. But, there still may be hope. The PO Chrono sports an automatic c.33xx movement, with similarly offset date. Time will tell!

eric

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Re: Great (and tragic) story

Steve Waddington snapped this photo of Omega Museum curator, Marco Richon's Speedy Pro prototype.

The c.1861-based movement isn't an auto, but I'd still take it.
Very interesting beast. Thanks for sharing that picture!

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
All credit to Mr. Waddington

Very interesting beast. Thanks for sharing that picture!
Well, all I did was copy the pic from Steve some months ago. I did manage to track down his TZ post on his trip to Bienne, back in May of '04. You can check it out here. It's great reading!

eric

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That prototype is a cracker. Just like that but an auto would be great. Did you get any info on that model-as in if would be produced soon or was it a one off?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old post, but is that a regular sized Speedy Pro with a Date? Is that my grail?!

I've seen the new 44+mm Speedy "Enamel" but 44mm is just too big, despite it's perfect, symmetrical date placement at 6. The Speedy is pushing it, but I love it. How to get a hold of one of these? I assume they are super rare considering it was a prototype... I don't think I can afford it.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts

Indeed, it is a standard-size Speedmaster with date. It's a prototype that is not in production. As noted, it was worn by Mr. Marco Richon, who is the curator for the Omega Museum in Bienne.

eric

·
Registered
227 Posts

Speaking of...

Photo borrowed from Chuck Maddox
The original ref.145.0809 was limited to 1300 pieces, according to Chuck's Moonphase page here. But, I don't know what I'd give for one of the originals.
Sometimes luck beats skill. I woke up early one Sunday morning a few months ago, got a coffee and started browsing a few eBay auctions. This had just been listed with a "buy it now" of just over $2K USD. Needless to say, I smashed the "buy" button as quickly as I could. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts